Title and statement of responsibility area
Asbestos United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC046
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,08 m of textual records. - 2 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Asbestos United Church was organized in 1925. During its first years, services were conducted in the Protestant school, until 1929 when the church was erected from the frame building reconstructed from the Danville Methodist Church, which was moved to Asbestos after the closure of the church. In 1970, with the Jeffrey Mine Open Pit coming closer to the Church, it was decided to sell the building to the Canadian Johns-Manville Corporation in Asbestos. Asbestos United Church amalgamated with Trinity United Church in Danville in 1972 or 1973. Asbestos United Church was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec-Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church was governed by the Official Board, the Board of Stewards, and the congregation in cooperation with organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School, the Ladies' Aid, the Evening Women's Association, and the Young People's Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management and the congregation's affairs for the Asbestos United Church in the 1960s and on the church membership from 1927 to 1972. It also provides information on the Asbestos-Danville Pastoral Charge from 1961 to 1965. It consists of minutes, a membership register, an historical sketch, a cookbook, and photographs. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1961-1970), Membership (1927-1972), Historical (1933), Organizations (1951), and Photographs ([193-?]).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Trinity United Church (Danville-Asbestos) fonds (UC020) which includes a name index of Asbestos United Church registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials.
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016