Title and statement of responsibility area
Advent Christian Church (Danville) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC P161
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,15 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Advent Christian Church in Danville, Quebec was formally organised in August 1851 with 27 members under the pastorship of Elder John Porter. Prior to that time, during the 1840s, Adventism had been growing in popularity in Quebec, particularly in the Eastern Townships under two main denominations: Evangelical Adventists and Christian Adventists. The Advent Christian Church was the first Christian Adventist church to be established in Quebec. Adventism began to gain a number of believers in the Township of Shipton through tent meetings and conferences that were held there in 1849, 1850, and 1851 when well-known pastors from the United States would preach. At this time, the Christian Adventist demonination was known for its weak official organization and lack of church buildings. Therefore, the Advent Christian Church of Danville is somewhat unique for their decision to erect their own church building by 1854 on Water Street. By 1873, the Advent Christian Church had joined the Adventist Federation of Canada East and Vermont. In 1902, they had completed a second church building, which is still located on the corner of Grove and Crown Streets in Danville. During the nineteenth century, campmeetings, usually held outside and during the summer, were significant activites for Christian Adventists where pastors from the United States would be invited to preach. Today, adventist campmeetings are still held at the campmeeting site in Beebee. Governed by a board of directors and aided by committees, the Advent Christian Church in Danville remains as one of the two Christian Adventist churches that is still active in the Eastern Townships.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the management and members of the Advent Christian Church of Danville from 1857 to 1934. It consists of minutes, registrations, civil status records. The fonds is comprised of the following two files: Management (1875-1932), and Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1857-1934).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to the registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 2005 by the Advent Christian Church of Danville.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016