Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Adderley Presbyterian Church (Adderley, Que.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first services for the Adderley Presbyterian Church in the township of Inverness, also known as St. Andrew's and South Kirk, were conducted in 1856 but the church building was not constructed until 1873. When the union of Methodists, Congregationalist, and Presbyterian took place in 1925, Adderly Presbyterian Church did not join the union. However, after 1943, they shared the services of a minister with the United Church. The church building was in regular use until 1958 and summer services continued to be held there until 1977. With the building closed, the congregation then worshipped at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Inverness. Unfortunately, due to severe vandalism, the decision was made to have the building demolished in 1982. On September 11, 1983, former members and friends of the Church met once again and held a ceremony at the property where they had erected a commemorative granite marker and fence.
Adderley Presbyterian Church was under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church was governed by the congregation and the church courts (board of managers and session) in co-operation with committees, organizations and societies within the Church, such as the Women's Missionary Society.