Showing 66 results

Authority record
Family

Woodman Family

  • W016
  • Family
  • 1623-

The Woodmans trace their North American roots back to Edward Woodman who first emigrated to Newbury Mass.from Wiltshire, England in 1623. Joshua S. Woodman and his wife Polly Sturtevant settled in Hatley on Lot no. 5, 2nd Range in 1819. Together they had six children: Mary M. (3 October 1813), Joshua S. (25 October 1815), Eliza J. (3 April 1821), Caleb T., Albert Alonzo (19 July 1825), Sarah (27 July 1828). Johsua died on 10 March 1865. Joshua’s son, Albert Alonzo Woodman married Mary Jane Sanborn on 20 April 1847 in Compton, Que. They owned a farm in Moe’s River. Together, Albert and Mary had four children: Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932), Eliza Jane Woodman, Sarah Orcelia Woodman and Milton Sawyer Woodman. Albert Alonzo Woodman died on 7 September 1895 and is buried at the Moe’s River Cemetery.

Gallop, John

  • Canada
  • Family

John W. Gallop graduated from Bishop's University in 1957, and married Nancy (Willis) Gallop who also graduated from Bishop's in 1958.

Copping (famiily)

  • C002
  • Family
  • fl. 1868-1960

John Alexander Copping (a.k.a. Jack) was born in Rawdon, Quebec in 1868, the son of John Copping and Nancy Marlin. Sarah Alice Mason was born in Rawdon, Quebec in 1873, the daughter of Edward Mason and Mary Copping. John and Alice, as she was known, were married in 1896. Shortly after their marriage, they moved from Rawdon to a farm in Compton Township. Between 1906-1908, they bought a farm at Sand Hill, in Eaton Township. They did not have any children. John died in 1949 and Alice died in 1960.

Annie Mariah Mason, Alice's sister, was born 7 December 1869, the daughter of Edward Mason and Mary Copping. She married John (Jack) Richard Copping in Montreal in 1893. Together, they had two children: Vivian and Rita. The couple lived in Montreal, and in Lennoxville for a brief time. After their separation, Annie returned to Montreal and the children when to live with an aunt and uncle. Annie died 4 December 1965.

Brainerd, Lavina Merry

  • B008
  • Family
  • 19th cent.

Lavina Merry Chamberlain came to Canada in 1873 at the age of 9 to live with her Aunt, Clara Mack. Later she moved to Rock Island to be closer to Stanstead College where she graduated from and became a teacher. She married Israel Wright Brainerd on April 3 1885 and soon after they moved to Boston, Massachusetts.

David, Polly and Ebenezer Hovey and their family along with Joseph Ives and Isaac Rexford were the first members of this family to settle in Quebec. They moved to Hatley in 1794 from Charlotte, Vermont.

Baker (family)

  • B005
  • Family
  • 19th cent.

Heading the Baker family were William Stevens Baker and Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker. William, a native of Dunham, and Harriet, an American born in the state of Vermont, had eight children together. Seven of these these eight children are represented in the fonds. They include (from eldest to youngest): Frederick Stevens Baker, Amelia Baker Stevens, Malcolm Clapp Baker, Mary Peckham Stevens, Emma Louise Baker, Harriet Baker, and Abigail Baker. Please see the biographical sketches accompanying the individual files for further information.

Also included in this fonds are distant relations, including J.C. Moore, A.H. Baker, Frances, and Stewart. Several of Malcolm Clapp Baker's brother-in-laws are also represented in the fonds.

Hunting (family)

  • Family

Seth and William Hunting, the founders of Huntingville and involved in the establishment of the Universalist Church in the village, were the first Huntings to the Eastern Townships. Born in Hubbardston, Mass., William and Seth Hunting were two of the four children of William Hunting and Lydia Wheelock. William Hunting (1784-1832), their eldest son, and Mary (Polly) Stone (1782-1853) were married in 1809 and subsequently moved to Templeton, Mass., where Mary's family was from. Mary was the eldest daughter of Catharine Wyman and Leonard Stone, Catharine's second husband. Previously, Catharine had first married Aaron Kendall who died after 10 years of marriage, in 1881. From her mother's first marriage, Mary (Polly) Stone had three half-siblings. The family connections on the Stone side of the Hunting family are significant because much correspondence was received from these relatives in the United States. After the birth of two daughters in 1809 and 1811, William and Mary Polly Hunting moved to Ascot Township in Lower Canada in 1812. Although the reason for the move is not certain, it is likely that they were prompted by some of Mary Stone's relatives who had already made the move north.

By 1815, Seth Hunting (1788-1872) had brought his new bride, Nancy Davis, to the Eastern Townships as well and had bought land on the Salmon River, now the Ascot River, which would be the future site of Huntingville. At this time, William and his family moved from Ascot to join Seth were he had chosen to settle. Seth and Nancy Hunting had six children: Stephen (1815-1841), Susan (1816-1886), Henry W. (1830-1896), William Seth (1865-1950), Fredrick A. (1867-1868), and Charles P. (1864-1931). Although Seth had purchased the land where the mills would eventually be situated, it appears that he was a farmer rather then a miller and it would be William who would build the mills.

William Hunting and Mary (Polly) Stone had six children: Betsey (1809-1832), Catharine (1811-1838), William (1815-1892), Leonard (1820-1842), Lyman E. (1821-1850), and Ephraim, who died as an infant. William Hunting built and operated the first dam across the river and subsequently built a grist mill and a saw mill on its shores. Additionally, he operated another mill on the Eaton River. When he died in 1832, his eldest son, William, took over the mills at the young age of 17. By 1838, William's younger brothers, Leonard and Lyman, were helping at the mills. By the 1840s, Lyman had left the mills to work at the Fuller General Store in Lennoxville because of ill-health, some sort of lung disease, and, for time, lived in the United States. Descendants of William Hunting Jr. operated the saw and grist mills until 1960, when a fire destroyed both buildings. In 1961, a planing mill was built and operated by Ross Hunting but has since been shut down, although the building still stands next to the Salmon River in Huntingville.

Ord

  • Family

John A. Ord (May 6th, 1865 to 1953) was the son of Henry Ord and Mary Ann Moss. John married Emma Torkelson (1870 to June 20th, 1902). They are buried in St. John's Cemetery, Brookbury. Their children were: Ann and Mary (August 6th, 1890), Mary Annie Matthew (August 18th, 1891 to November 19th, 1979), Annie McCarthy (b. December 14th, 1894), Henry (January 20th, 1896 to December 7th, 1989), Pansy Maria Buttemer (April 10th, 1898 to November 28th, 1988), and George A. (May 24th, 1900 to January 29th, 1979).

Sharman

  • Family

Walter George Sharman (October 30th, 1863 - November 15th, 1925). Walter was married to Eliza Ann Clark (d. February 15th, 1892 aged 30 years), daughter of Robert Clark and Eliza Ann Woods. Walter was the son of Ebenezer (November 30th, 1824 to May 4th, 1900) from Suffolk, England, and Caroline Bennett (June 23rd, 1826 to March 23rd, 1909). Walter had five siblings: James, Sarah, Mary, Lucy (m: Charles Bown). Eliza is buried in the Bury Cemetery, Walter is buried in the Bown Cemetery.

French

  • Family

John French was born in Cornwall, England on March 19th 1824, and died on February 1st, 1916. John came to Canada and settled on a farm located near Flanders in 1843. John married Emma Parsons in Eaton on October 14th, 1858. Emma was born in England on April 19th, 1830, and died on July 29th, 1905, she was the daughter of George Parsons. John and Emma had eight children: Frederick W. who was born on July 31st, 1859, and he married Eliza Jane Bridgett. John W. who was born on June 27th, 1866. Charles D. who was born on June 19th, 1870. Abel E. who was born on March 7th, 1876. Ella J. was born on January 29th, 1861, and she married Benjamin Farnsworth. Alice M. who was born on October 28th, 1862, and married Eugene Baldwin. Annie E. who was born on August 20th, 1864. Emma C. who was born of August 3rd, 1873. Charles and John were two enterprising young men who took a deep interest in telephone lines and electric light plants. Around 1891 they built an extensive telephone line through Eaton connecting with points in Newport, Bury, Scotstown and elsewhere. They sold this line to the Bell Telephone Company in 1893. In the same year they built an electric light plant for Sawyerville. In 1895, they built the telephone line from Sawyerville through East Clifton to Beecher Falls, VT., on a contract with the Canadian Telephone Company.

Chute

  • Family

Curtis Chute Sr. was born at Otisfield, Maine in March 1845, and died on September 27th, 1926. He was the son of John Chute and Marion Turner. Curtis married Almeda Stone and they came to Compton together around 1867. They later moved to East Clifton Road, and in May 1897 they purchased a farm on Jordan Hill Road from Robert Thompson. Curtis married his second wife, Luvia Brown, who was the daughter of Thomas Brown and his wife Elizabeth Merrill. Luvia was born on April 22nd, 1858, and died on May 27th, 1937. Curtis and Luvia had two daughters: Myrtle Emma (July 29th, 1890 to April 22nd 1982). She was the last member of the Chute family that came to Eaton Corner in 1897. Their second daughter was Bernice Estella Chute (March 16th, 1894 to July 14th, 1964). Ethel Estella Brown "Aunt Stella" was the sister of Luvia. She was born on December 14th, 1860, and she died on June 29th, 1940.

Warner

  • Family

Cyrus W. Warner and Belinda Heath are listed in the Sandhill Cemetery records as the parents of Chester William Warner (October 27th, 1813 to November 26th, 1882) and of Caroline Warner (d. December 23rd, 1866). Caroline was married to Ebenezer Eastman.

Burns

  • Family

John Burns (December 3rd, 1862 to May 30th, 1945) and Naomi Miller Burns (June 1868 to February 17th, 1955). John and Naomi were married on January 4th, 1887. John came to Island Brook with his parents in 1873. Naomi's parents arrived in Island Brook in January 1868. Naomi was the first child born east of Island Brook. John was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1910, a position he held for 40 years.

Harvey

  • Family

Almer I. Harvey (October 16th, 1847 to September 3rd, 1927) was married to Hannah Amelia Osgood (November 22nd, 1848 to January 6th, 1929). Almer was the son of John Harvey and Clarinda Tory and was born at Newport Township. He lived for 72 years on the farm where he was born and he was the last remaining one out of a family of nine. Hannah was born in Quincy, Mass., and moved with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abner Osgood to Eaton Corner in 1860. Almer and Hannah were married on June 28th, 1870. They had six children together. Almer and Hannah are buried in Eaton Cemetery.

Halliday

  • Family
  • 20th century

Alethea Maud Mount was the daughter of Reverend Hector P. and Sarah Maud Mount. She married George Halliday (b. October 22nd, 1889) of Newport Township on August 1st, 1936 in the Bishop Carmichael Memorial Church (Foster, Quebec). George was the son of Robert Halliday (October 27th, 1843 to March 17th, 1924) and Henrietta Hitchcock (May 11th, 1853 to March 10th, 1934). George lived on the farm in Newport Township purchased by his father in 1872. He obtained his Bachelor of Agricultural degree in 1913. He farmed with his father (until his father's death in 1924), then continued until 1942 when he moved into the village of Sawyerville. George Halliday died on October 31st, 1973 at the Sherbrooke Protestant Hospital. Alethea died in the Whitby General Hospital, Ontario on May 19th, 1993 in her 90th year. George and Alethea are buried in Eaton Cemetery. Dr. Ernest (Ernie) Charles Halliday (August 11th, 1878 to September 2nd, 1941) was the son of Robert and Henrietta Halliday.

Telmosse, family

  • Family
  • fl. 1905-1983

Ignace-Denis Telmosse was born in Montreal on 19 July 1889, son of Louis W. Telmosse and Lumina Perreault. Following the receipt of his doctorate in medicine in 1912, he settled in Coaticook in 1916. He practiced medicine in Coaticook until his death in 1955. Dr. I. Telmosse served as the first president of the medical office of the Centre hospitalier de Coaticook.
Dr. I. Telmosse married Denise Dupuis (1898-1985) in 1917. Together the couple had ten children: Edmond (1917), Thérèse (1920-1990), Berthe (1921-2001), Suzanne (1923), Louis (1923), Mathilde (1924), Denise (1926), François (1927-1990), Marguerite (1930), and Roger (1932-2017). Edmond and Louis joined the clergy as Catholic priests. François and Roger followed in their father’s footsteps, becoming doctors. Thérèse married Dr. Gustave Gérin-Lajoie.

Tanguay, family

  • Family
  • fl. [191-]-1989

Joseph-Octave Tanguay (1845-1934), born in St-Henri de Lévis, arrived in Coaticook with his wife, Philomène Hémond, and children in 1898. Their children were: Délima (1877-1960), Calixte (1881-1957), Virginie (b. 1883), Cyprien (1886-1986), and Joséphine (b. 1890). J.-O. Tanguay farmed until his retirement in 1920.
Calixte Tanguay (1881-1957) married Rose Anna Giroux (1879-1948) in Coaticook on 25 October 1915. Together they had three children: Wilfrid, Jeanne (1917-1989), and Yvonne (b. 1920).

Cyprien Tanguay (1886-1986) married Delvina Couture (1897-1985) on 12 September 1916 in St. Herménégilde. Together they had at least two childred: Jeannette (1916-1989), Lucien-Paul (b. 1923). In 1927, Cyprien opened a grocery store on Cutting Street in Coaticook. The store, though not as large as that of D.S. Bachand on Main Street, was particularly popular with the children who attended school on Pleasant Street (presently Gérin-Lajoie), who came in to buy penny candy.

Jeannette Tanguay (1916-1989) was particularly passionate about music.

Boyce, Richard F.

  • Family
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Richard Francis Boyce, son of William and Melinda Boyce, was born in 1861 in Rawdon. He married Mary Ellen Mason (1864-1948) in Rawdon in 1884. Together they had six children: Cornelia E. (b. 1884), Bertha L. (b. 1886), Oscar R. (b. 1888), Mary Mina. (b. 1891), Maude F. (b.1894), and Hazel Geraldine (b. 1902). Around 1904, Richard and Mary Ellen moved from Rawdon to Milby and purchased a farm there. Richard died in 1926 and Mary Ellen died in 1948.

Cornelia Boyce marred Edgar A. Orr. The couple owned a farm in Milby. Bertha Boyce married Olie Parker and moved to Sherbrooke. Oscar Boyce married Jennie Sophia McVety. Mary “Minne” Boyce married Silas McVety and moved to Sherbrooke. Maude Boyce married Leonard Graham and moved to Westmount. Hazel Boyce married David Tatley and moved to Belleville, Ontario.

Hackett (family)

  • Family

Michael Felix Hackett B.C.L. was born into a Irish Catholic home on the 23rd of August, 1851. His parents were Patrick Hackett ([1810?]-1869) of Ireland and Mary Griffin ([18-?]-) of Granby, Quebec. His father was the first Mayor of Granby, Quebec who died when a bridge collapsed in April of 1869. Michael Felix Hackett studied locally at the Granby Academy College, as well as at the College of Sainte-Marie de Monnoir, and College of Saint-Hyacinthe. He studied law at McGill University and on June 17th, 1874 he was admitted to the Quebec provincial Bar. M.F. Hackett was married in 1883 to Florence Alberta Knight (1858-1913) daughter of Albert Knight M.P. (1817-1887) and Julia Ann Rose (1817-1894). They had a family of five: John Thomas (1884-1956), Sybil Rose (1886-1954), Felix Winfield (1890-1951), Florence Julia (1891-1912), and Mary Griffin (1896-1980). M.F. Hackett practiced law in the Stanstead community, was the Mayor of Stanstead Plain (1890-1904) and Prefect of the County (1891-1897). He was a Judge of the Superior court of Quebec and politician, participating in the Quebec Legislature elected in 1892. He assumed the position of Provincial Secretary until retirement. He also ran for the federal legislature (1900 and 1904), but was not elected. He was Director and Vice president of Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance (1835-[19-?]). In addition to this, M.F. Hackett was the President of the Stanstead County Farmers' Institute, the Saint-Joseph Society, Eastern Township's Liberal-Conservative Party (Quebec) and the School Board Trustees. He also was a member of the Board of Examiners for School Teachers of Eastern Townships, Militia Captain, Batonnier of the Saint-Francois Bar (1892-93) and (1900-1901), and Grand President of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association of Canada (1895-1916). M.F. Hackett passed away 12 April 1926 in Cowansville, Quebec. He is buried at the Mont Ste. Marie Cemetery in Stanstead.

John Thomas Hackett B.L., B.C.L. is the son of Michael Felix Hackett and Florence Alberta Knight. He was born in Stanstead, Quebec on June 12th, 1884. He was educated at St. Charles Seminary, Loyola College, Laval, and a graduate of McGill's Law school. It was there that J.T. Hackett founded the student council of McGill (1909). He was a resident of both Montreal and Stanstead, Quebec. He was married to Linda Harding (1884-1965) in 1912 and they had Florence Knight (1913-2009), Ann Kidder (1914-1931), Linda Mary (1916-1917), Guy Harding (1918-1951), Julia Alice (1919-1970), John David (1920-1980), Ruth Rose (1922-1928), Mary Cora (b. 1924), John Joseph (1925-1925). Hackett's occupation as Lawyer was followed by terms as a Federal Conservative M.P. (1930-1935, 1945-1949) and Senator (1955-1956). In his lifetime he participated on the board of governor's for McGill University, Executive Board of The Charity Organization Society, Catholic Social Service Guild, and Loyal Convalescent Home. He was also President of Jr. Bar Association (1919), Batonnier of the Bar Association of Montreal (1945-1946) and Canadian Bar Association (1947). John Thomas like his father was involved in the military as a Lieutenant of 55th Regiment, Irish Canadian Rangers. He was also the president of the Stanstead County Historical Society (1936-1956). He passed away 15 September 1956 and is buried in the Mont Ste. Marie Cemetery in Stanstead.

Linda Harding was born 14 January 1884, in Newton Centre, Massachusetts, daughter of David Baker Harding (d. 1897) and Annie Kidder. Following the death of her father in 1897, Linda and her mother moved to Derby Line, Vermont. Her mother, Annie, married Dudley William Davis in 1899. Linda received her Bachelors of Arts from Boston University. In 1941, she compiled the book Eleazer Fitch: The First Leader of Stanstead Township. Linda passed away 28 July 1965.

Gingras (family)

  • Family

Armand J. (a.k.a "Pete") Gingras (1892-1976), son of Napoléon and Virginie Gingras of Sherbrooke, married Leota Moss (1896-1961), daughter of Michael and Bertha Moss of Coaticook, on 25 September 1916. Armand spent his professional life working as a salesman at H.C. Wilson & Sons music store in Sherbrooke for 60 years. Armand and Leota moved to Lennoxville and bought a house on the corner of Academy and Meade Streets. Together, they had at least 2 children: Leonard (1917-2006) and Gerald (1920-1999). Both Leonard and Gerald fought in World War II with the Royal Canadian Air Force. Leonard married Wilma Campbell (1921-2011) on 17 June 1942.

Ward family (Thetford, Que.)

  • Family

Robert G. Ward (1837-1907), was born in Lower Ireland, Megantic County, the son of Rev. Robert G. Ward and Marianne Turriff. He married Annie M. Cairns (born 1861, daughter of Hamby Cairns and Susan Meagher, died 1936). Together they had nine children: Robert Grant "Bob" (1883-?), Hamby Ward (1884-?), Alexander Harry (1885-1964), John Albert (1888-1942), Charles Edgar (1890-1891), James Turriff (1892-?), Annie Maria (1893-1893), Peter Douglas (1895-1977?), and Albion Tudor (1898-1962). Robert G. Ward (II)'s pursuit of mining interests began in 1876 when the discovery of asbestos was made in one of his fields. Subsequently, he purchased the mining rights for the lot in Thetford Township and began the Ward family's mining intersests in the area.

Albion T. Ward, miner by profession, was married first to Nita Hammerick/Hammerich in 1925 (divorced 1944), and second to Doris Christine Peterson (1913-1986). Robert Grant Ward (III) went west to mine gold as a young man. By 1903, he had turned to amateur boxing in San Francisco. His ability in the ring led him to take the title of amateur heavyweight champion of America and, later on, pro heavyweight champion of the British Commonwealth. Later on he returned to Quebec to pursue mining. Alexander Henry (a.k.a. Harry) Ward married Agnes Gertrude Moore (b. 1899), daughter of William Moore and Sarah Elizabeth Robinson. Together they had seven children: Dorothy (a.k.a. Dolly, b. 1917), Kathleen (b. 1919), Evelyn (b. 1919), Agnes (1921-1921), Robert (1923-1923), Marjorie (b. 1924), and Lois (b. 1928). Lois T. Ward married Wilfred Alan Greatrex in 1950 in Ontario.

Draper (family)

  • Family
  • 19th cent.

Calvin Draper was born on 9 March 1815 in the township of Compton. He was the son of Jonathan and Ruth Draper. Calvin died on 7 May 1874 in the township of Compton.

Rosella Quimby was born on 13 June 1812 in the township of Barnston. She was the daughter of Jonathan and Catherine Quimby. She died on 31 May 1875 in the township of Compton.

Calvin Draper and Rosella Quimby got married in February 1842. They had three daughters: Mary born on 6 April 1843, Catherine born on 5 July 1844, and Julia Elizabeth born on 16 December 1853.

Bown

  • Family

Captain Thomas Charles Bown was the founder of Bown, Quebec. He came from England and was among the first settlers in Bury in 1836. He took up land and made a home on the Victoria Road mid-way between Bury and Scotstown. In 1841 Thomas was elected delegate to represent Bury at first meeting of the council of the district of Sherbrooke. In 1842, he was elected to first town council in Bury. Thomas was captain in the militia. He promoted the establishment of the first school in his district, known as the Bown School. He also gave land for a church and cemetery near his home. Thomas married Mary Ann Sharman. They had two daughters: Ann Jane, and Mary Aurelia, and three sons, Thomas Jr., and William (who went into the lumber business). Thomas died on June 30th, 1877 aged 87. Mary Ann died on October 1st, 1909, aged 87. They are buried in Bown Cemetery.

Sawyer

  • Family

Mary (Polly) Hall Sawyer (January 9th, 1787 to May 22nd, 1864). She was the daughter of Hannaniah Hall and Mary Osgood. Mary (Polly) was the wife of Peter Green Sawyer (May 8th, 1783 to July 2nd, 1867). Peter was the son of Josiah Esq. (1757 to March 10th, 1837) and Susanna Green (1757-1836). Josiah was the first pioneer to establish a homestead in the Township of Eaton raising his log cabin on the present site of Sawyerville. Mary and Peter are buried in Grovehill Cemetery. Jerome Sawyer (1834-1919) was the son of Mary (Polly ) Hall and Peter Green Sawyer. Margaret Cairns was Jerome's first wife, and Maria Osgood was his second. Jerome is buried in Eaton Cemetery.

Caswell

  • Family

Elsa Caswell was married to Howard Caswell on December 7th, 1929. Howard was the son of Charles Frederick Caswell and Wealthy D. Squire. Charles was the son of Denison Caswell and Ellen McClary. Denison was the son of Bingham Caswell and Nellie Chase.

Farnsworth

  • Family

Samuel Farnsworth (1751-1831) and Anna Wasson (1751-1842) came to Eaton Township in 1799 and settled on lot 14 in the 8th range. Thomas Farnsworth was one of their sons. Thomas married Mary Ann Sage French (d. March 12th, 1890 at age 68). John Avery Farnsworth was one of their sons. Orrin Cecil Farnsworth is the son of John Avery. Orrin was born on April 4th, 1858 and died on November 1st, 1939. He married Margaret Ruth Edwards (June 3rd, 1860 to March 27th, 1948) at St. Sylvester. John Farnsworth is the son of Orrin and Margaret. He was born on September 29th, 1897, and died on February 9th, 1971. He married Marcia Hazel Bina Swenson (b. May 13th, 1901) on February 27th, 1924.

Laberee

  • Family
  • 19th century

The principle donor, Waymer Stanley Laberee (October 8th, 1907 to October 5th, 1983) graduated with a BA from Bishop's University in 1934. He then served in WWII in the RCASC, and later farmed in Bulwer, Quebec. He married Marion Edith Richardson (April 18th, 1913 to August 31st, 2006) on June 26th, 1935. They had six children: Edward Francis (1936-2003), Waymer Gordon (1939), Marion Joan (1940), David Avery (1944), Brian Rufus (1949), John William (1952). Waymer Stanley was the son of Avery Wakefield Laberee (1878-1956), farmer of Bulwer and Ada Victoria Shorten (1882-1972). They had three children: Kathleen Shorten Laberee, Waymer Stanley and Roberta Mary. Avery's father was Benjamin Rice Laberee (1834-1892) who was married to Mary Jane Wakefield (1840-1925). Benjamin was the son of Rufus Jr. (1805-1858) and Emma Rice (1809-1887). Rufus Jr. was the son of Rufus Laberee Esq. Rufus Laberee Esq., the son of Peter Laberee who came to the Township of Eaton in 1797 where he settled on lots 13 and 14 in the 5th range of that Township, which today (2010) is the present home of Laberee descendants, Dean Taylor and his brother Dennis Taylor in Birchton. Rufus Laberee (1764-1842) was married to Olive Farwell (1769-1814) and they came to the townships the following year with their five children. Five more of their children were born in the Township of Eaton. Henry James Laberee (1862-1943), and his wife Alice Hatton Thomas (1866-1943). Henry was the son of Henry Edwin Laberee and Mary Colburn French. Alice was the daughter of a prosperous farmer in Birchton. Henry conducted a clothier business at age 17. In 1887, he was established as a jeweller with C.C. Bailey. In 1893, Henry moved his family to Sawyerville, Quebec. He was Secretary-Treasurer of Sawyerville for 13 years. He was a jeweller and Mrs. Laberee, an optician. In 1908 he sold his business in Sawyerville and moved to Lennoxville where he became engaged as a jeweller and optician. They had two sons: Harold Thomas b. 1890, Carl Gordon (1896 - d. November 28th, 1918) and is buried in England.

Meade family

  • Family

Joseph Meade (1843-1910) emigrated from England in 1880, settling with his family in the Coaticook area. He was married to Lydia Timson and together they had 6 children, including Frank (1871-1943) – a manager at Belding-Corticelli from 1922 to 1939 – and Sydney A. – a surveyor and engineer.

Sydney A. Meade (1882-1961) first married Pearl Johnson (1884-1918) in 1909 and together they had two children: Sydney (b. 1911) and Cecil (b. 1916). Following the death of Pearl, Sydney married second Eva Jane Robinson in 1920. Sydney A. Meade was admitted to the Quebec Order of Surveyors on 19 December 1908. He was active in the Coaticook and Sherbrooke areas.

Cecil Meade (1916-1998) was born in Coaticook on 24 December 1916. After studying at Coaticook High School and Bishop’s University, he worked as a surveyor’s assistant with his father, Sydney, for a few years before beginning serious study of music at the Toronto Conservatory. This was followed by military service overseas during World War II and study of music at McGill University, and a number of varied work pursuits. He received a Bachelor of Music from McGill University in 1957 and spent much of his life working in different countries and on various musical projects.

Rue principales. City of Coaticook

  • Family
  • 1992-

The organization Rues principales Coaticook was established in Coaticook around 1992 with the mission to support the regional service network and to assure the commercial leadership in Coaticook’s downtown as part of a broader initiative to revitalise Coaticook’s commercial sector. Among the activities pursued and/or supported by Rues principales in the early years were special publicity campaigns (particularly for holidays). Their mission has evolved over time and presently is to offer training to merchants, to organize interactive activities, and joint promotions. It collaborates on the commercial diversification of Coaticook’s downtown by supporting developers and also takes an interest in projects that encourage development, sustainability, and vitality in a diversified commercial sector. In 2009, Rue principales Coaticook received its first 4 As certification from the Fondation Rues principales, which was renewed in 2012 at the same time as receiving a “silver” designation.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Results 1 to 30 of 66