Showing 1493 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
The 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, created in 1915, was part of the 8th Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. In September 1934, members of the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion who had served during World War I organized the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Association to perpetuate the memory and the tradition of their battalion. The Association was run by a four-member board elected annually. Its main activity was the annual reunion of its members, who had belonged to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion or the Company of the Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles. In 1967, the last meeting was held and the Association disbanded.
- Corporate body
Abbotsford United Church, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1839 by Rev. Charles Miles, an English Congregational minister. After the death of Rev. Miles in 1855, no Congregational minister was available and the church served as an academy. At about this time, a number of Methodist families moved in the region and an appeal was sent to the Methodist minister in Granby to come and re-open the church for worship. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Abbotsford Methodist Church joined the Union to form the Abbotsford United Church. Since 1976, the Abbotsford United Church has belonged to the Granby Pastoral Charge. Abbotsford United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Official Board and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church, such as the Women's Missionary Society and the United Church Women.
Louise Abbott was born in Montreal on 26 July 1950. She graduated from McGill University. Freelance writer, photographer, author and documentary filmmaker, she began her career in 1971. Many of her works are dedicated to cultural minorities - the English-speaking community in Quebec, the Inuit. She now lives in the Eastern Townships.
So far in her carreer, she has published many books and her photographs have also appeared in many other publications. She has been involved in many solo or group exhibitions. Well known public institutions, such as Library and Archives Canada, the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography and the Musée du Québec include her photographs in their collections. She produced her first documentary in 1991.
Louise Abbott has been awarded many times for her work. In 1996, she won a Canada Council grant to write a book about the English-speaking community of the Eastern Townships.
The Acton Vale Circuit, which was of Methodist denomination, was organized around 1898. It included three preaching points: Acton Vale, St-Theodore-d'Acton, and Bethany. It seems to have had over the years a French and an English Section. The church was closed in the 1920s.
The Acton Vale Circuit was part of the Waterloo District of the Montreal Conference of the Methodist Church of Canada.
Louis Adam was born 24 November 1925 in Coaticook to Stanislas Adam and Adrianna Hénault. He married Gertrude Bouchard in Coaticook on 3 January 1948. Together they had the following childred: Claude (b. 1948), Lise (b. 1949), Yves (b. 1952), Yvon (b. 1952), Denise (b. 1955), and Richard (1962-1976). At least from 1953 to 1967, Louis Adam owned and operated the Champlain service station, also known as Service Louis Adam, which was situated on Main Street in Coaticook. Louis Adam passed away on 14 May 2005 in Coaticook.
George Adams, born October 20, 1813 in Newbury, Vermont was the son of Abel Adams and his wife Sally Stone. The family had lived at Richford, Vermont a short time before moving to St.Armand, Canada in 1816. The father, Abel, built up a large and flourishing mercantile business at Pigeon Hill. George had a brother, Nelson who lived and died in Bedford, Quebec, another brother, John, who was killed in 1864 in the American Civil War and a sister Virtue who died in young womanhood, (an account of the family is given in Abby Hemenway (1882) Vol. IV p. 997.)
In 1847 George Adams moved to the Township of East Farnham and purchased a saw mill and house situated on the south part of Lot 31, in Range III in the County of Shefford. Here he built a grist mill and a store sometime between 1849-1852. There were two sons by his first wife, Jane Krans, William born 1842 died 1904, and George Abel born 1847 died 1924. George Abel married Sarah Douglas and they had sons, George James Adams, and Byron A. Adams.
The family ran grist and sawmills, they owned several farms and on the home farm kept registered
Ayrshire cattle. In the early 1900's they formed the Adamsville Creamery Association which was a successful business concern. The first George, who is considered to be the founder of Adamsville, died October 14, 1883 A more recent account of the family is given in Yesterdays of Brome County Vol. I, 1967 written by Gerald Hawke.
The first services for the Adderley Presbyterian Church in the township of Inverness, also known as St. Andrew's and South Kirk, were conducted in 1856 but the church building was not constructed until 1873. When the union of Methodists, Congregationalist, and Presbyterian took place in 1925, Adderly Presbyterian Church did not join the union. However, after 1943, they shared the services of a minister with the United Church. The church building was in regular use until 1958 and summer services continued to be held there until 1977. With the building closed, the congregation then worshipped at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Inverness. Unfortunately, due to severe vandalism, the decision was made to have the building demolished in 1982. On September 11, 1983, former members and friends of the Church met once again and held a ceremony at the property where they had erected a commemorative granite marker and fence.
Adderley Presbyterian Church was under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church was governed by the congregation and the church courts (board of managers and session) in co-operation with committees, organizations and societies within the Church, such as the Women's Missionary Society.
The Advent Christian Church in Danville, Quebec was formally organised in August 1851 with 27 members under the pastorship of Elder John Porter. Prior to that time, during the 1840s, Adventism had been growing in popularity in Quebec, particularly in the Eastern Townships under two main denominations: Evangelical Adventists and Christian Adventists. The Advent Christian Church was the first Christian Adventist church to be established in Quebec. Adventism began to gain a number of believers in the Township of Shipton through tent meetings and conferences that were held there in 1849, 1850, and 1851 when well-known pastors from the United States would preach. At this time, the Christian Adventist demonination was known for its weak official organization and lack of church buildings. Therefore, the Advent Christian Church of Danville is somewhat unique for their decision to erect their own church building by 1854 on Water Street. By 1873, the Advent Christian Church had joined the Adventist Federation of Canada East and Vermont. In 1902, they had completed a second church building, which is still located on the corner of Grove and Crown Streets in Danville. During the nineteenth century, campmeetings, usually held outside and during the summer, were significant activites for Christian Adventists where pastors from the United States would be invited to preach. Today, adventist campmeetings are still held at the campmeeting site in Beebee. Governed by a board of directors and aided by committees, the Advent Christian Church in Danville remains as one of the two Christian Adventist churches that is still active in the Eastern Townships.
Agnes Methodist Church was organized in Agnes (now Lake Megantic) in 1883. The church building was destroyed by fire in 1908 and the property was sold around 1920.
Allan James Anderson was born in Brockville, Ontario in 1907. He attended Bishop's University and was granted his B.A. (in Theology) in 1932. He then moved to the Diocese of Ontario where he was ordained as Deacon in the same year, and then as priest in 1933. Except for a wartime stint in the army's Chaplaincy Service, he served the whole of his career in this Diocese as Curate of St. George's Cathedral, as parish priest, as prison chaplain and as secretary of Synod. He was made an Archdeacon in 1969. In 1970 he took a short leave to study archival work at Carleton University's summer school. He then spent considerable time organizing and cataloguing the Diocesan collection. He died in Kingston in 1990.
Bruce McKendrick Anderson was born August 14, 1931. He was educated in the English public-schooling system in Westmount, Quebec, and graduated from Bishop's University in 1951 (B.A. Hons. Phil) and from McGill in 1954 (M.Ps.Sc.). He spent a 50-year professional career in all aspects of human resource management from recruitment to retirement; introduced and administered policies and programs related to evolving government involvement in the employment retationship concerning health care, retirement provisions and the development of equitable employment systems. There was particular emphasis on the interests of women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and aboriginals. Mr. Anderson spearheaded responses to language legislation concerning international organizations at both the provincial and federal levels. He also developed effective relationships between business strategies and appropriate human resource management policies with an emphasis on recognition and reward systems at all levels of an organization, thereby promoting positive employee relations. Mr. Anderson retired from active service in 2001.
Co·ordinated 25th, 40th 50th and 60th anniversary reunions at Bishop's for the Classes of 1950. '51 , '52 and '53.
Bruce married Kathryn Joan Stevens on Sept . 17, 1955. Their adopted son, Robin Matthew, was born on March 31, 1964. Kathryn died on Aug. 29, 1990.
Born at les Sables d'Olenne, France, André enjoyed her grandfather's collection of paintings as a child and visited the Cathedral St. Baven in Ghent where Van Eyck's "Mystic Lamb" and an important exhibition of Ingres and Delacroix could be seen. Later she studied at the Académie Royale Des Beaux Arts in Brussels, 1943-48; Académie St. Josse De Noode, Brussels, 1947-48; Institut National Supérieur Des Beaux Arts, Antwerp, 1948-49; École Nationale Supérieur Des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, under Marcel Gromaire, 1949-50. She came to Canada in 1951. A painter of abstract humanism, she had been influenced by the work of Ingres, Van Eyck, Memlinc, Brueghel, Henry Moore, and Marc Toby in her quest for expression. Her media includes , oils, water colours, tempera, mixed media, and graphic media. She completed a mural for an Edmonton chapel entitled "Christos Pneuma" and is represented in the Vancouver Art Gallery. She has taught at the University of British Columbia, the Banff School of Fine Arts, and Vancouver Art Gallery. She died in 2009.
Source: Dictionary of Canadian Artists, Volume 1, 1967. Colin MacDonald
The Angus House was a hotel in the town of East Angus, located in the Township of Westbury, which was active during the end of the 19th century. James Bryant, the original owner of the Angus House, first opened a boarding house in East Angus around 1884 and built the hotel in 1891. In 1896, Bryant sold the hotel to Lockhart R. Willard.
Alan L. Ansell is recognized by Continental Who’s Who for his expertise in Athletic Equipment SafetyFitting and Usage as well Athletic Event Management. Alan has consulted, and distributed in the United States and Canada. He exhibits his proven record of success with his long list of career history including Commissioner - Quebec Women’s Ice Hockey League, Assistant Football Coach- Bishop University and Champlain Regional College, Head Coach for Women’s Ice Hockey, Equipment Manager, Public Service Manager and Coordinator Athletic Facilities. He holds a DEC in Social Sciences, Champlain Regional College, Lennoxville, Quebec (Bishop's University campus) and a certificate for the Athletic Equipment
Managers Association (AEMA). His published works include Preparation and Selection of Hockey Sticks in the AEMA Journal Vol. 1 & 3, Fitting Ice Hockey Equipment from Beginners to Pros in the AEMA Certification Manual and Football Quebec Play Safe Guide. He is affiliated with organizations such as WHOBA , AEMA, and NOCSAE. Alan L. Ansell retired from Bishop's University in 2007 from the position of Co-ordinator of Athletic Facilities.
Douglas Argue graduated from Bishop's University in 1929.
Helen Smith Armitage was born 1 May 1894 in Sherbrooke and was the daughter of George Armitage and Alma Henrietta Daigneau.
William Thomas Arnold (regt. no. 120499) was born on August 6, 1885 in England. Nonetheless, Upon enlisting, he listed Knowlton, Quebec as the address for his next-of-kin. Arnold, a lumberman, enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and volunteered for overseas service in Montreal on August 19, 1915 having served in the Scottish Light Dragoons for seven years before that. Upon enlisting, he was posted to the 69th Battalion (Canadien-Français) as a Private. His records indicate he served with the 13th Scottish Light Dragoons between August and October 1914. Confusingly, his records also state that before enlisting in 1915, he enlisted with the 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada) in 1914 but was discharged for erysipelas. Arnold arrived in England on April 28, 1916 and was posted to the 23rd Reserve Battalion. In September 1916 he was drafted to the 60th Battalion (Victoria Rifles) with whom he served in France until January 1917 when he was posted to the 3rd Can. Div. HQ. In March 1917 he was posted to the 87th Battalion (Canadian Grenadiers Guard) and in June was transferred to the 1st Quebec Reserve Depot in England. In November 1917 he was returned to Canada and was sent to the Grey Nun’s Convalescent Hospital in Montreal for defective hearing and osteo-arthritis. He was discharged as medically unfit in January (or February) 1918.
Asbestos United Church was organized in 1925. During its first years, services were conducted in the Protestant school, until 1929 when the church was erected from the frame building reconstructed from the Danville Methodist Church, which was moved to Asbestos after the closure of the church. In 1970, with the Jeffrey Mine Open Pit coming closer to the Church, it was decided to sell the building to the Canadian Johns-Manville Corporation in Asbestos. Asbestos United Church amalgamated with Trinity United Church in Danville in 1972 or 1973. Asbestos United Church was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec-Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church was governed by the Official Board, the Board of Stewards, and the congregation in cooperation with organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School, the Ladies' Aid, the Evening Women's Association, and the Young People's Society.
The Ascot Masonic Lodge, No. 30, was established in Lennoxville in 1867. It was one of the larger freemasons lodges in Quebec, and worked to help build the communities surrounding the Lennoxville area while also working closely with the Grand Lodge of Quebec and other lodges. Members frequently attended meetings and worked on annual projects. The mission of the Ascot Masonic Lodge was to "turn good men into better men." All members were permanent residents of Quebec, and applicants were required to be 21 years of age or older.
- Corporate body
- fl. 1918-1990
The Ascot Women's Institute was founded in 1918. It was initially known as the Spring Road Club, and was soon renamed the Ascot Homemakers' Club. Like the other Homemakers' Clubs, in 1921, it became a Women's Institute, whose motto is 'For Home and Country.' In collaboration with Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, the Ascot Women's Institute's mandate was to help rural women and stimulate community life. This institute was incorporated in 1932. It is a member of the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Delegates attend the annual meetings of these organizations. Locally, an elected board of directors worked with various committees (Agriculture, Home Economics, Education, Citizenship, Health and Welfare, Publicity, Sunshine Communications, International Affairs, Ways and Means), to organize monthly meetings and activities. The latter includes lectures; horticultural contests; school fairs; and fund raising events in aid of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and other humanitarian organizations. Beginning in the 1970s, the Ascot Women's Institute began to involve itself with problems relating to the environment and women's rights.