Affichage de 1510 résultatsNotice d'autorité
Leslie Hall Jenks, son of Nathaniel Jenks and Lucy Thornton, was born in Barnston on 28 December 1849. He was a dentist in Coaticook and had a practice at the corner of Pleasant and Cutting Streets. Leslie married Nancy Cushing on 30 October 1879. Together they had four children: Charles Nathaniel (1882-1888), Cushing (1885-1885), Archibald Nathaniel (1889-1938) and Abbott Cushing (1893-1957). Leslie died 5 October 1910 and is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery in Coaticook.
John Nathaniel Jenks, son of Nathaniel Jenks and Lucy Thornton, was born in Barnston on 18 July 1848. He studied at Darmouth College and eventually became the principal of the Barnston Academy and also worked as a border agent. He married Kate Cole on 23 September 1902. Together they had one child: John (a.k.a. Donald) Leslie Jenks (1909-1973). John died on 5 December 1937.
Andrzej Krauze was born in a suburb of Warsaw on 7 March 1947. In 1967 he began studying painting and illustration at the Warsaw Academy of Fine Art, and in 1971, while still a student, he began contributing cartoons to the satirical magazine Szpilki and won first prize in a poster competition organized by the Polish National Theatre in Warsaw. He afterwards worked regularly as a poster-designer for the theater until 1973, when he graduated - his diploma submission, an animated cartoon film entitled The Flying Lesson, being censored by the authorities.
After leaving the Academy of Fine Art, Krauze travelled to Paris and London, but in 1974 returned to Warsaw, where he continued contributing to Szpilki and began work as political cartoonist on the weekly magazine Kultura. The context was one of heavy censorship. "Your first censor was your editor," Krauze recalled: "All material was sent to a special office several days before publication and, if they stopped something, it was not only a problem for you but for your editor too. The editor had to be a member of the Communist Party and it was very important for him not to have too much material stopped. If this happened, he was in trouble."
Krauze became a well-known figure in Poland, and across Europe. In 1980 he went to Amsterdam, where he worked as an illustrator for the newspaper Handelsblad, and then moved to Paris, contributing to L'Express, L'Expansion, Lire and L'Alternative. When Martial Law was declared in Poland in December 1981 he was in London organising an exhibition. As he recalled, "I said to myself, if I am a political cartoonist this is my time": "I only had a one-week tourist visa to begin with, but after Martial Law I published a lot of drawings in English, American and French newspapers, and immediately it was impossible to return." Kultura was closed down under Martial Law, but Krause drew cartoons for the Polish trade union paper Solidarnosc. In 1982 he was awarded First Prize in the Forte Dei Marmi (Italy) political satire competition
In 1985 Krauze began supplying political cartoons and illustrations to the Finnish daily Aamulehti, and from 1986 to 1990 he designed posters for London's Old Vic Theatre under the directorship of Jonathan Miller. In 1988 he began contributing cartoons and illustrations to the New Statesman, adding the Guardian and Independent on Sunday in 1989. He simplified his style, and dropped the captions to his cartoons - a change hastened by the realisation that his English wasn't good enough for the British market. The result was very striking. Francis Wheen recalled that when he became the Independent on Sunday's diarist in 1990, he was amazed to find that in his accompanying illustrations Krauze "treated my diary stories as if they were fables by Aesop or La Fontaine, seeking out the essential moral or the universal theme and thus giving them a resonance and depth they scarcely deserved."
Krauze has also contributed to The Times, New York Times, International Herald-Tribune, Sunday Telegraph, Bookseller, Listener, New Scientist, Campaign, Modern Painters and others. In 1985 he was appointed Visiting Lecturer at the Royal College of Art, and in 1997 External Examiner in the Department of Illustration. In 1996 he won the Victoria and Albert Museum Award for Illustration.
Mark Bryant Dictionary of Twentieth-Century British Cartoonists and Caricaturists (Ashgate, Aldershot, 2000), p.133.
Stephen Moss "Arts: Spitting images", Guardian, 17 October 2001, p.12.
Francis Wheen "Lives and Letters: Master of His Art", Guardian, 8 March 2003, p.34
Orson Wheeler (1902-1990)
Born in the village of Way’s Mills in 1902, Orson Wheeler was a professor in the fine arts department at Concordia University in the Montréal for much of his Professional career. A sculptor by training, he is perhaps best known for his bronze busts of noted Canadians. Wheeler was also a talented designer, however, and produced some 200 architectural models. The McGill School of Architecture owns many of these.
During his lifetime, Orson Wheeler’s work was exhibited at venues around the world, including London’s famous Tate Gallery, the New York World’s Fair in 1939 and the Brussels World’s Fair in 1958. His bronzes may be found in collections at Concordia University, Bishop’s University, (Lennoxville), the National Gallery (Ottawa) and the Supreme Court of Canada (Ottawa), among others.
One of Wheeler’s best-known pieces is the magnificent bronze relief map that he produced of the Eastern Townships for the Pioneer Monument on Dufferin Heights. Many of the Wheeler’s plaster casts, including one of actor Christopher Plummer as a young boy, as well as the artist’s own personal archives, are in the collection of the Colby-Curtis Museum in Stanstead.
Source: Author: Matthew Farfan,
Townships Heritage WebMagazine
La Lennoxville Curling Association est fondée le 23 avril 1923 afin de promouvoir le curling auprès des citoyens de la ville de Lennoxville, ainsi que d’acquérir, détenir et louer des biens meubles et immeubles à cet effet. Le premier projet de l’Association a été de construire une piste de curling à Lennoxville. À sa réunion du 19 novembre 1923, l’Association décide de louer le nouvel édifice au Lennoxville Curling Club au plus bas prix possible. En 1946, le Lennoxville Curling Club offre à la Lennoxville Curling Association d’acheter la propriété de celle-ci. À son assemblée générale annuelle du 20 juin 1946, l’Association décide d’accepter l’offre du Club pour la somme de un dollar. Il est ensuite résolu de dissoudre l’Association après le transfert des biens réels au Club. La Lennoxville Curling Association est officiellement dissoute le 1er août 1946.
Barbara Wark, daughther of James Wark (1897-1969) and Florence Bryant (1901-1993), was born in Sherbrooke in 1930. Barbara continued to pursue her passion for the arts following her graduation from Bishop’s University in 1950. She briefly attended the Sherbrooke school of ballet before, in 1952, applying to and being accepted by the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. Her artistic pursuits in New York City led her to remain involved in local theatre spheres upon her graduation and was part of plays presented at The Piggery Theatre and at St. Peter’s Anglican Young People’s Association. By the late 1950s Barbara had shifted her focus from her artistic pursuits towards her career. Barbara worked as a reporter with the Sherbrooke Daily Record and the Toronto Telegram. In 1963, she graduated from the School of Nursing of the Montreal General Hospital. Barbara was later married in 1970 to Martin Larry Drexel, this marriage would bring her to resettle in Camrose, Alberta, where she would stay until Drexel’s death in 1999. Following her husband’s death, Barbara returned to Sherbrooke where she lived with her sister Catherine. It was during this time that Barbara cemented her legacy as a community member, picking up where her mother had left off as the organist for the Church of the Advent. Moreover, Barbara played an active roll in community outreach programs through her involvement with the Mental Health Estrie, an organization dedicated to providing mental health services and support in English in the greater Sherbrooke area.
John Derick (sometimes appears as John Derick 2nd) was born in Christie’s Manor (Quebec) on 29 July 1810 to Conrade/Conrad Derick and Katharina (a.k.a. Catherine and Caty) Kohlhammer. He married first Ophelia Edy (d. 1846) in Caldwell’s Manor in September 1837 and together they had the following children: Mary Derick (b. ca. 1838), Newbury Edy Derick (1840-1920), and Ann Ophelia Derick (1846-1846). He married second Sarah Ann Bush, widow of Ira Row, in February 1847 in Clarenceville. Together they had the following children: Calvin G. Derick (1849-1849), Matilda L. Derick (b. 1850). John Derick was a farmer in St. Thomas and served as the Pay Master Sergeant for the 2nd Rouville Battalion Militia. He died the 28 March 1855 and is buried in Noyan.
Newbury Edy Derick (Sr.) was born on 11 June 1840 in Noyan, Quebec, the son of John Derick (1810-1855) and Ophelia Edy. He was the last owner in the Derick family of the Philip Derick farm, located on the division between Foucault and Noyan Townships and which was a leading farm at one time. He was married first to Maria Hudson (1835-1899) on 31 December 1861. Together they had four children: Mary Hudson (b. 1863), Emma Ophelia (b. 1865), Newbury Edy (b. 1867), and Nellie Maria (b. 1870). Newbury married second Sarah Force (1848-1905), who had been keeping house for Morris C. Derick for a time following the death of Morris’ wife. He died on 17 February 1920.
Conrade/Conrad Derick was born on 6 August 1774 in Brunswick Center, New York to Philip Derick and Maria Brust. He married Katharina (a.k.a. Catherine and Caty) Kohlhammer on 12 July 1796 in Brunswick Center, New York. Together they had ten children: Hannah (b. 1797), Maria (b. 1880), Lany (b. 1802), Catharine (b. 1804), Dianney (b. 1806), Philip Calvin (b. 1808), John (b. 1810), Pamelia (b. 1812), b. Magdalena (b. 1816), and Sarah (b. 1821). Conrad operated the farm originally owned by his father, as well as serving as a Justice of the Peace and a Commissioner of the Court of the King’s Bench. He was the first treasurer and warden for Christ Church at Caldwell’s Manor, a major in the militia, and a vice-president of the Missisquoi County Agricultural Society. Conrad died on 19 June 1842 in Noyan, Quebec.
"Born at Lowell, Massachusetts, Whistler spent his boyhood in Russian returning to United Stated in 1849. Attended West Point, 1851-4. and had drawing lesson from Robert Weir. Went to Paris in 1855 and studied painting under Gleyer. Lived chiefly in London after 1859. Was influenced by Fantin-Latoru, Courbet, and by Japanese prints. Visited Venice in 1879. Died in London." The National Gallery of Canada Catalogue of Painting and Sculpture by R.H. Hubbard, U of T Press, 1959.
Dr. G. J. Bompas was born in Bristol, England on September 12, 1812. Studied medicine in Cambridge and Edinburgh, F.R.C.S. . Married Marianne Bedonne in 1838. They had twelve children. Came to Canada in 1860 and settled in Bury Township; did not practice medicine. Taught Botany and Art at Stanstead College and Bishop's College. He did a great many drawings and paintings of the Eastern Townships. Died in Lennoxville, on June 23, 1889.
Source: "The Artists, and Engravers" The Eastern Townships, Charles de Volpi and P.H. Scowen
Manos Rovithis was born in Athens, Greece in 1927. He was raised and educated in Paris, France, where he attended the Grande Chaumière Art School. Manos' work carries the influence of Alfred Dufatrel, an impressionist painter and family friend. After exhibiting in France, Germany and Greece, Rovithis came to Canada in 1963. Since coming to Canada he has worked exclusively with his palette knife instead of a brush. He felt that the palette knife technique allows him greater freedom of expression. Manos Rovithis died in London Ontario in 1998.
Source: Excerpted from Manos Rovithis Art Studio pamphlet. London Ontario.
- 29 novembre 1931 - 26 janvier 1984
Marcel Côté, fils de Alphonse Côté et de Lucienne Lessard, est né à Montréal le 29 novembre 1931 où il épouse Roxy Pearl Hiltz le 25 septembre 1954. Il décède subitement à Waterloo le 26 janvier 1984, âgé de 53 ans.
Il vient s'établir à Waterloo au début des années 1960, prenant la relève de son père à titre de photographe. En plus de son travail en studio, il est photographe de presse pour le journal La Voix de l'Est pour la région de Waterloo jusqu'à la fermeture du bureau du quotidien dans cette municipalité. Il poursuit ensuite l'exercice de son métier au service de la compagnie Meubles Roxton et, en 1978, il se fait élire, une première fois, au poste de conseiller municipal. Au cours de son deuxième mandat, il est victime d'un accident cardio-vasculaire.
Florand Laliberté est né en 1928 du mariage d'Arthur Laliberté et d'Eldéa Rivard. Le 30 octobre 1954, il épouse Monique Bruneau à l'église Saint-Eugène de Granby; le couple aura deux enfants. Florand Laliberté est décédé le 15 juillet 1997, à l'âge de 69 ans.
Florand Laliberté entreprend sa carrière de photographe en 1947, à l'âge de dix-huit ans. Il ouvre un premier studio au 203, rue Principale, face à la rue Saint-Joseph, au milieu des années 1950. Il se spécialise dans la photo de studio, de groupes scolaires et de mariages. Au début des années 1980, il déménage son studio au 20, rue Gill, où il pratique jusqu'à sa retraite, en 1993.
Clinton D. Porter est né le 24 mai 1888. Il est le fils de De Forest Porter et de Carrie Bressie. En 1911, il épouse Eva L. Gilman à l'église méthodiste St.Paul de Waterloo. Il décède en 1981 à sa résidence de la rue Denison, où il réside depuis 1916. En 1910, après des études en comptabilité, Clinton D. Porter entre au service de la toute nouvelle compagnie de caoutchouc de Granby, la Miner Rubber. Il est promu surintendant de la Miner en 1930, poste qu'il occupe jusqu'à sa retraite, en 1957. Parallèlement à sa longue carrière au sein de l'entreprise, C. D. Porter est un actif supporteur du mouvement scout local, à titre de secrétaire du Granby Boy Scout Group de 1927 à 1946 et, à l'échelle régionale, en tant qu'assistant commissaire du district, de 1934 à 1966. Son rôle lui vaut seize citations d'honneur, dont la très convoitée Silver Acorn pour sa contribution exceptionnelle au développement du mouvement scout anglophone du Canada.
Ellis Savage est né le 22 septembre 1875 à Granby; il y meurt prématurément le 14 février 1903, terrassé par une pneumonie. Il est le fils de Mary Bradford et d'Alonzo C. Savage, commerçant et maire de Granby de 1877 à 1892. Ellis Savage épouse Mary Fuller, d'East Farnham, au mois d'août 1901.
Engagé au commerce de son père avec son frère Raymond, Ellis Savage en devient associé au tournant du XXe siècle, le magasin général portant désormais le nom de A. C. Savage & Sons. L'édifice commercial des Savage, situé au 17 de la rue Principale, fait aujourd'hui partie du patrimoine architectural de Granby.
Photographe amateur de talent, c'est à Ellis Savage que l'on doit les plus belles photos de Granby de la fin du XIXe siècle.
Margaret Emily Merrill, daughter of Martin Merrill and Elsie Willard, was born in 1927. During her professional life, Margaret worked as travelling laboratory technician for the Sherbrooke Hospital. She died on 21 January 2010 and was interred in Malvern Cemetery.
Dr. Robert Paulette was born in Sherbrooke in 1930. He graduated from Sherbrooke High School and was awarded a McConnell Scholarship to study at McGill, where he obtained and B.Sc. degree and an M.D. He then proceeded to United States after a year's internship in Montréal to pursue postgraduate studies in general and thoracic surgery. In New York he studied at the NYU Bellevue Medical Center as well as at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Centre. In 1961, he joined the staff at Sherbrooke Hospital, where he became Chief of Surgery.
Dr. Paulette's interest in photography goes back as far as his teenage years, when he was given the gift of a camera from a solider after World War II. He died on March 21, 2020 after a short battle with cancer in Calgary, Alberta.
Sources: Excerpted from Dr. Paulette Resumé by Galerie Robert Senneville
"Obituary: Robert Edwin Paulette," McInnis & Holloway Funeral Homes, accessed April 29, 2020, https://mhfh.com/tribute/details/30482/Robert-PAULETTE/obituary.html.
Arthur John Motyer was born December 15, 1925 in Hamilton, Bermuda. He attended Saltus Grammar School and later Mount Allison University (1942-1945). A Rhodes Scholarship took him to Oxford for further studies in English, after which he returned to Canada where he taught English and Drama at the University of Manitoba (1948-50) and Bishop’s University (1950-70). Arthur Motyer married Janet Speid in 1955 and they had two children; Dr. Michael Motyer and Gillian Allen (Motyer). While at Bishop’s University, he led the development and realization of the Centennial Theatre, giving Bishop’s the finest university theatrical facilities in Canada at the time. Returning to Sackville in 1970 as Purvis Professor of English and Associate Dean of Faculty, he immersed himself in the cultural life of campus and community. In addition to taking on the roles of Dean of Arts and Vice-President Academic, he served for many years as Chair of the Performing Arts Committee and of the classical concert touring organization Debut Atlantic, founded Windsor Theatre and the Mount Allison Drama Program, and was mentor and founding chair of Live Bait Theatre. In his retirement, he wrote two distinguished books, the novel What’s Remembered and a memoir, The Staircase Letters.Arthur Motyer died on June 23, 2011 in Sackville, New Brunswick. In September 2011, Arthur was posthumously awarded the Bermuda Arts Council 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award.
Catherine Wark, daughther of James Wark (1897-1969) and Florence Bryant (1901-1993), was born in Sherbrooke in 1929. During her childhood, she pursued music and performance but in adulthood Catherine moved away from her interests in the arts in favour of a career at Bishop’s University as a secretary. Catherine occupied her post from 1955 until her retirement in 1992 and over the course of her career, left a positive impression on her coworkers and faculty. Upon her retirement, the Bishop’s University Staff Newsletter ran an article praising Catherine for her contributions to the University. Catherine died in Sherbrooke in 2009.
Florence Byrant, daugher of John Henry Bryant (-1934) and Ida Wearne (d. 1924), was born in October 1901 in Sherbrooke. During her lifetime, Florence served as the organist for the Church of the Advent and was active in other artistic groups within the community.1 On 1 October 1927, Florence married James Wark (1897-1969). It may well be their shared appreciation for the arts that brought James and Florence together. The couple had two daughters, Catherine (1929-2009) and Barbara (b. 1930) who each pursued interests in the arts, focused around the theatre, dance, and music. Florence Wark died in Sherbrooke in 1993.