Affichage de 69 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Famille

Woodman Family

  • W016
  • Famille
  • 1623-

The Woodmans trace their North American roots back to Edward Woodman who first emigrated to Newbury Mass.from Wiltshire, England in 1623. Joshua S. Woodman and his wife Polly Sturtevant settled in Hatley on Lot no. 5, 2nd Range in 1819. Together they had six children: Mary M. (3 October 1813), Joshua S. (25 October 1815), Eliza J. (3 April 1821), Caleb T., Albert Alonzo (19 July 1825), Sarah (27 July 1828). Johsua died on 10 March 1865. Joshua’s son, Albert Alonzo Woodman married Mary Jane Sanborn on 20 April 1847 in Compton, Que. They owned a farm in Moe’s River. Together, Albert and Mary had four children: Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932), Eliza Jane Woodman, Sarah Orcelia Woodman and Milton Sawyer Woodman. Albert Alonzo Woodman died on 7 September 1895 and is buried at the Moe’s River Cemetery.

Gallop, John

  • Canada
  • Famille

John W. Gallop graduated from Bishop's University in 1957, and married Nancy (Willis) Gallop who also graduated from Bishop's in 1958.

Copping (famiily)

  • C002
  • Famille
  • fl. 1868-1960

John Alexander Copping (a.k.a. Jack) was born in Rawdon, Quebec in 1868, the son of John Copping and Nancy Marlin. Sarah Alice Mason was born in Rawdon, Quebec in 1873, the daughter of Edward Mason and Mary Copping. John and Alice, as she was known, were married in 1896. Shortly after their marriage, they moved from Rawdon to a farm in Compton Township. Between 1906-1908, they bought a farm at Sand Hill, in Eaton Township. They did not have any children. John died in 1949 and Alice died in 1960.

Annie Mariah Mason, Alice's sister, was born 7 December 1869, the daughter of Edward Mason and Mary Copping. She married John (Jack) Richard Copping in Montreal in 1893. Together, they had two children: Vivian and Rita. The couple lived in Montreal, and in Lennoxville for a brief time. After their separation, Annie returned to Montreal and the children when to live with an aunt and uncle. Annie died 4 December 1965.

Brainerd, Lavina Merry

  • B008
  • Famille
  • 19th cent.

Lavina Merry Chamberlain came to Canada in 1873 at the age of 9 to live with her Aunt, Clara Mack. Later she moved to Rock Island to be closer to Stanstead College where she graduated from and became a teacher. She married Israel Wright Brainerd on April 3 1885 and soon after they moved to Boston, Massachusetts.

David, Polly and Ebenezer Hovey and their family along with Joseph Ives and Isaac Rexford were the first members of this family to settle in Quebec. They moved to Hatley in 1794 from Charlotte, Vermont.

Baker (family)

  • B005
  • Famille
  • 19th cent.

Heading the Baker family were William Stevens Baker and Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker. William, a native of Dunham, and Harriet, an American born in the state of Vermont, had eight children together. Seven of these these eight children are represented in the fonds. They include (from eldest to youngest): Frederick Stevens Baker, Amelia Baker Stevens, Malcolm Clapp Baker, Mary Peckham Stevens, Emma Louise Baker, Harriet Baker, and Abigail Baker. Please see the biographical sketches accompanying the individual files for further information.

Also included in this fonds are distant relations, including J.C. Moore, A.H. Baker, Frances, and Stewart. Several of Malcolm Clapp Baker's brother-in-laws are also represented in the fonds.

Hackett (family)

  • Famille

Michael Felix Hackett B.C.L. est né dans un foyer catholique irlandais le 23 août 1851. Ses parents sont Patrick Hackett ([18-?]-1869), d’Irlande, et Mary Griffin ([18-?]-), de Granby, au Québec. Son père, premier maire de Granby, au Québec, meurt lors de l’effondrement d’un pont en avril 1869. Michael Felix Hackett étudie dans la région au Granby Academy College, ainsi qu’au College of Sainte-Marie-de-Monnoir et au College of Saint-Hyacinthe. Il étudie le droit à McGill University et, le 17 juin 1874, il est admis au barreau provincial du Québec. En 1883, M.F. Hackett épouse Florence Alberta Knight ([1859]-1913), fille d’Albert Knight (1817-[1870]), député, et de Julia Ann Rose (-). Ils auront cinq enfants : Sybil Rose (1886-1954), Florence Julia (1891-1912), Mary Griffin (1896-1980), John Thomas (1884-1956) et Felix Winfield (1890-). M.F. Hackett pratique le droit dans la région de Stanstead, est maire de Stanstead Plain (1890-1904) et préfet du comté (1891-1897). Il est juge de la Cour supérieure du Québec et politicien, élu à la législature du Québec en 1892. Il occupe le poste de Secrétaire provincial jusqu’à sa retraite. Il se présente aussi aux élections fédérales (1900 et 1904), mais il n’est pas élu. Il est directeur et vice-président de la Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance (1835-[19-?]). En outre, M.F. Hackett est président du Stanstead County Farmers’ Institute, de la Saint-Joseph Society, du Parti libéral-conservateur des Cantons-de-l’Est (Québec) et des conseils scolaires. Il est aussi membre du Board of Examiners for School Teachers of Eastern Townships, capitaine dans la milice, Bâtonnier du barreau de Saint-François (1892-93) et (1900-1901) et président de la Catholic Mutal Benefit Association of Canada (1895-1916).

John Thomas Hackett B.L., B.C.L. est le fils de Michael Felix Hackett et de Florence Alberta Knight. Né à Stanstead, au Québec, le 12 juin 1884, il étudie au St. Charles Seminary, au Loyal College, à Laval, et il est diplômé de la McGill’s Law School. Il y fonde le conseil étudiant de McGill (1909). Il est résidant de Montréal et de Stanstead, au Québec. Il épouse Linda Harding (-) en 1912, qui lui donne Florence Knight (1913), Ann Kidder (1914), Linda Mary (1916-1917), John David (-), Julia Alice (-) et Ruth Rose. Après avoir pratiqué le droit, John Thomas Hackett sera député fédéral conservateur (1930-1935, 1945-1949) et sénateur (1955-1956). Au cours de sa vie, il a été membre du conseil des gouverneurs de McGill University, membre du conseil exécutif de la Charity Organization Society, de la Catholic Social Service Guild et du Loyal Convalescent Home. Il a aussi été président de la Jr. Bar Assiciation (1919), bâtonnier de l’Association du barreau de Montréal (1945-1946) et de l’Association du Barreau canadien (1947). Comme son père, John Thomas a été engagé dans la vie militaire comme lieutenant du 55e régiment des Irish Canadian Rangers. Il a aussi été président de la Stanstead County Historical Society (1936-1956).

Linda Harding Hackett est née 14 janvier 1884 à Derby Line, au Vermont. Elle est la fille de Dudley William Davis et de Annie Kidder Harding Davis. Elle détient un baccalauréat ès arts de Boston University. Elle étudie les Cantons-de-l’Est et publie en 1941 une compilation intitulée Eleanzer Fitch: The First Leader of Stanstead Township. Linda est morte 18 julliet 1965.

Hunting (family)

  • Famille

Seth et William Hunting, les fondateurs de Huntingville et participants actifs à l’établissement de l’Église universaliste dans ce village, sont les premiers Hunting à s’établir dans les Cantons-de-l’Est. Nés à Hubbardston, au Massachusetts, William et Seth Hunting comptent parmi les quatre enfants de William Hunting et de Lydia Wheelock. William Hunting (1784-1832), leur fils aîné, et Mary (Polly) Stone (1782-1853) se marient en 1809 et déménagent par la suite à Templeton, au Massachusetts, d’où vient la famille de Mary. Mary est la fille aînée de Catharine Wyman et Leonard Stone, second époux de Catharine. Auparavant, Catharine a épousé en premières noces Aaron Kendall, qui meurt après dix ans de mariage, en 1881. De son premier mariage, la mère de Mary (Polly) Stone avait déjà trois enfants. Les liens familiaux du côté des Stone sont significatifs dans la famille Hunting car celle-ci reçoit une abondante correspondance de ces parents des États-Unis. Après la naissance de deux filles en 1809 et 1811, William et Mary Polly Hunting déménagent dans le canton d’Ascot, dans la province du Bas-Canada, en 1812. Même si la raison de ce déménagement n’est pas certaine, il est probable qu’ils y ont été attirés par des parents de Mary Stone qui étaient déjà partis s’installer vers le nord.

En 1815, Seth Hunting (1788-1872) emmène sa nouvelle épouse, Nancy Davis, dans les Cantons-de-l’Est et achète du terrain le long de la rivière Salmon, devenue rivière Ascot, ce qui sera le futur site de Huntingville. À ce moment, William et sa famille déménagent quittent Ascot pour venir rejoindre Seth là où il avait choisi de s’établir. Seth et Nancy Hunting ont six enfants : Stephen (1815-1841), Susan (1816-1886), Henry W. (1830-1896), William Seth (1865-1950), Fredrick A. (1867-1868 et Charles P. (1864-1931). Bien que la terre où les moulins seront éventuellement situés appartienne à Seth, il semble que celui-ci soit plus agriculteur que meunier et que ce serait William qui aurait construit les moulins.

William Hunting et Mary (Polly) Stone ont six enfants : Betsey (1809-1832), Catharine (1811-1838), William (1815-1892), Leonard (1820-1842), Lyman E. (1821-1850) et Ephraim, mort en très bas âge. William Hunting construit et exploite le premier barrage sur la rivière et construit par la suite un moulin à blé et un moulin à bois sur ses rives. Il exploite aussi un autre moulin sur la rivière Eaton. À son décès, en 1832, son fils aîné, William, reprend les moulins bien qu’il n’ait que 17 ans. En 1838, les jeunes frères de William, Leonard et Lyman, travaillent aux moulins. Dans les années 1840, Lyman a quitté les moulins pour travailler au Fuller General Store à Lennoxville, en raison de sa santé fragile due à une maladie pulmonaire, et vit à certaines périodes aux États-Unis. Les descendants de William Hunting fils ont exploité le moulin à bois et le moulin à blé jusqu’à 1960, alors qu’un incendie a détruit les deux édifices. En 1961, une usine de rabotage a été construite et exploitée par Hunting, avant d’être fermée définitivement, mais l’édifice est toujours là, au bord de la rivière Ascot, à Huntingville.

Scott Family

  • Famille

Hiram Scott and his son, Levi mentioned in the following documents, are descendants of Daniel Scott (1751-1829) the Loyalist, who moved around 1803 into Dunham Township and settled in the area known as Scottsmore. Daniel had served under Col. Peters in Major Jessup's Corps. After the end of the war in 1784 he was living in the Loyalist refugee camp in Sorel, and later, on Caldwell's Manor until 1803 where most of his children, four sons and a daughter were born. The four sons were Capt. Lemuel, Daniel, Jonathan, Pliny and the daughter was Abigail. This family married with other families that had moved into the Sweetsburgh area, the Shufelts, Churches, Pettes, Vails, Hastings, Pickel and others.

Hiram, son of Capt. Lemuel, married Katherine Shufelt and their home, as thedeeds indicate, was in West Brome on McCutcheon Road, and they built the brick house on that property. This was, in more recent years, the home of Robert and Mary (Taber) McCutcheon.

As the deeds show, Levi Scott, son of Hiram, sold the farm to David Beattie in 1880. It came into McCutcheon possession later because David's daughter, Sarah Ann Beattie, married William McCutcheon.

Luther Scott, mentioned in the 1882 deed was a brother of Levi's and so the above home was where he was brought up also. He is said to have married Emily Armington of Dunham in that house.

Ira Scott mentioned in 1874 was a son of Jonathan and Susannah (Pickel) Scott, and so was a cousin of Hiram Scott. A sister of Ira's, Elmira married David Aitken of East Dunham whose descendant by the same name (Dave Aitken) has lived near Call's Mills in West Brome in recent years.

The 1866 deed should be an interesting one to members of the Beattie family of East Dunham which shows, in acquiring some of their land, they had to deal with the descendants of the Hon. Thomas Dunn, to whom the Township of Dunham was granted in 1796.

Ord

  • Famille

John A. Ord (May 6th, 1865 to 1953) was the son of Henry Ord and Mary Ann Moss. John married Emma Torkelson (1870 to June 20th, 1902). They are buried in St. John's Cemetery, Brookbury. Their children were: Ann and Mary (August 6th, 1890), Mary Annie Matthew (August 18th, 1891 to November 19th, 1979), Annie McCarthy (b. December 14th, 1894), Henry (January 20th, 1896 to December 7th, 1989), Pansy Maria Buttemer (April 10th, 1898 to November 28th, 1988), and George A. (May 24th, 1900 to January 29th, 1979).

Sharman

  • Famille

Walter George Sharman (October 30th, 1863 - November 15th, 1925). Walter was married to Eliza Ann Clark (d. February 15th, 1892 aged 30 years), daughter of Robert Clark and Eliza Ann Woods. Walter was the son of Ebenezer (November 30th, 1824 to May 4th, 1900) from Suffolk, England, and Caroline Bennett (June 23rd, 1826 to March 23rd, 1909). Walter had five siblings: James, Sarah, Mary, Lucy (m: Charles Bown). Eliza is buried in the Bury Cemetery, Walter is buried in the Bown Cemetery.

French

  • Famille

John French was born in Cornwall, England on March 19th 1824, and died on February 1st, 1916. John came to Canada and settled on a farm located near Flanders in 1843. John married Emma Parsons in Eaton on October 14th, 1858. Emma was born in England on April 19th, 1830, and died on July 29th, 1905, she was the daughter of George Parsons. John and Emma had eight children: Frederick W. who was born on July 31st, 1859, and he married Eliza Jane Bridgett. John W. who was born on June 27th, 1866. Charles D. who was born on June 19th, 1870. Abel E. who was born on March 7th, 1876. Ella J. was born on January 29th, 1861, and she married Benjamin Farnsworth. Alice M. who was born on October 28th, 1862, and married Eugene Baldwin. Annie E. who was born on August 20th, 1864. Emma C. who was born of August 3rd, 1873. Charles and John were two enterprising young men who took a deep interest in telephone lines and electric light plants. Around 1891 they built an extensive telephone line through Eaton connecting with points in Newport, Bury, Scotstown and elsewhere. They sold this line to the Bell Telephone Company in 1893. In the same year they built an electric light plant for Sawyerville. In 1895, they built the telephone line from Sawyerville through East Clifton to Beecher Falls, VT., on a contract with the Canadian Telephone Company.

Chute

  • Famille

Curtis Chute Sr. was born at Otisfield, Maine in March 1845, and died on September 27th, 1926. He was the son of John Chute and Marion Turner. Curtis married Almeda Stone and they came to Compton together around 1867. They later moved to East Clifton Road, and in May 1897 they purchased a farm on Jordan Hill Road from Robert Thompson. Curtis married his second wife, Luvia Brown, who was the daughter of Thomas Brown and his wife Elizabeth Merrill. Luvia was born on April 22nd, 1858, and died on May 27th, 1937. Curtis and Luvia had two daughters: Myrtle Emma (July 29th, 1890 to April 22nd 1982). She was the last member of the Chute family that came to Eaton Corner in 1897. Their second daughter was Bernice Estella Chute (March 16th, 1894 to July 14th, 1964). Ethel Estella Brown "Aunt Stella" was the sister of Luvia. She was born on December 14th, 1860, and she died on June 29th, 1940.

Warner

  • Famille

Cyrus W. Warner and Belinda Heath are listed in the Sandhill Cemetery records as the parents of Chester William Warner (October 27th, 1813 to November 26th, 1882) and of Caroline Warner (d. December 23rd, 1866). Caroline was married to Ebenezer Eastman.

Burns

  • Famille

John Burns (December 3rd, 1862 to May 30th, 1945) and Naomi Miller Burns (June 1868 to February 17th, 1955). John and Naomi were married on January 4th, 1887. John came to Island Brook with his parents in 1873. Naomi's parents arrived in Island Brook in January 1868. Naomi was the first child born east of Island Brook. John was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1910, a position he held for 40 years.

Harvey

  • Famille

Almer I. Harvey (October 16th, 1847 to September 3rd, 1927) was married to Hannah Amelia Osgood (November 22nd, 1848 to January 6th, 1929). Almer was the son of John Harvey and Clarinda Tory and was born at Newport Township. He lived for 72 years on the farm where he was born and he was the last remaining one out of a family of nine. Hannah was born in Quincy, Mass., and moved with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abner Osgood to Eaton Corner in 1860. Almer and Hannah were married on June 28th, 1870. They had six children together. Almer and Hannah are buried in Eaton Cemetery.

Halliday

  • Famille
  • 20th century

Alethea Maud Mount was the daughter of Reverend Hector P. and Sarah Maud Mount. She married George Halliday (b. October 22nd, 1889) of Newport Township on August 1st, 1936 in the Bishop Carmichael Memorial Church (Foster, Quebec). George was the son of Robert Halliday (October 27th, 1843 to March 17th, 1924) and Henrietta Hitchcock (May 11th, 1853 to March 10th, 1934). George lived on the farm in Newport Township purchased by his father in 1872. He obtained his Bachelor of Agricultural degree in 1913. He farmed with his father (until his father's death in 1924), then continued until 1942 when he moved into the village of Sawyerville. George Halliday died on October 31st, 1973 at the Sherbrooke Protestant Hospital. Alethea died in the Whitby General Hospital, Ontario on May 19th, 1993 in her 90th year. George and Alethea are buried in Eaton Cemetery. Dr. Ernest (Ernie) Charles Halliday (August 11th, 1878 to September 2nd, 1941) was the son of Robert and Henrietta Halliday.

Copping

  • Famille

The Copping Family Tree was planted in Canada in 1811 when George Copping, b. 1781 in Hatfield, Essex Co., England and his wife, Elizabeth Saggers, settled in Rawdon, County of Montcalm, Lower Canada with two small children. These papers are concerned with the seventh son, William who had a timber business in Rawdon, and his sons who by 1866 had moved to Ely Township in the Eastern Townships and started lumber mills at Boscobel. By 1930's the mills had ceased to operate. The papers are interesting as regards Ely Township development in late 1800's as the mills manufactured shingles, laths, clapboards, broom handles and lumber of all kinds.

Famille Telmosse

  • Famille
  • fl. 1905-1983

Ignace-Denis Telmosse est né à Montréal le 19 juillet 1889. Il était le fils de Louis W. Telmosse et de Lumina Perreault. Après avoir reçu son doctorat en médecine en 1912, il s'installe à Coaticook en 1916. Il y pratiquera la médecine jusqu'à sa mort en 1955. Le Dr Telmosse siège comme premier président du bureau médical du Centre hospitalier de Coaticook. Le Dr Telmosse épouse Denise Dupuis (1898-1985) en 1917. Ensemble, ils auront dix enfants : Edmond (1917), Thérèse (1920-1990), Berthe (1921-2001), Suzanne (1923), Louis (1923), Mathilde (1924), Denise (1926), François (1927-1990), Marguerite (1930) et Roger (1932-2017). Edmond et Louis se joindront au clergé comme prêtre catholique. François et Roger suivront les traces de leur père en devenant médecin. Thérèse épousera le Dr Gustave Gérin-Lajoie.

Famille Tanguay

  • Famille
  • fl. [191-]-1989

Joseph-Octave Tanguay (1845-1934), né à St-Henri-de-Lévis, est arrivé à Coaticook avec sa femme, Philomène Hémond, et ses enfants en 1898. Leurs enfants était : Délima (1877-1960), Calixte (1881-1957), Virginie (née en 1883), Cyprien (1886-1986) et Joséphine (née en 1890). J.-O. Tanguay a été agriculteur jusqu'à sa retraite en 1920. Calixte Tanguay (1881-1957) épouse Rose Anna Giroux (1879-1948) à Coaticook le 25 octobre 1915. Ensemble, ils auront trois enfants : Wilfrid, Jeanne (1917-1989) et Yvonne (née en 1920). Cyprien Tanguay (1886-1986) épouse Delvina Couture (1897-1985) le 12 septembre 1916 à St-Herménégilde. Ensemble, ils auront au moins deux enfants, Jeannette (1916-1989) et Lucien-Paul (né en 1923). En 1927, Cyprien a ouvert une épicerie sur la rue Cutting à Coaticook. Le magasin, même s'il n'était pas aussi grand que celui de D. S. Bachand sur la rue Main, était particulièrement populaire avec les enfants qui allaient à l'école sur la rue Pleasant (Gérin-Lajoie) et qui venaient s'acheter des bonbons à un cent. Jeannette Tanguay (1916-1989) était une passionnée de musique.

Boyce, Richard F.

  • Famille
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Richard Francis Boyce, son of William and Melinda Boyce, was born in 1861 in Rawdon. He married Mary Ellen Mason (1864-1948) in Rawdon in 1884. Together they had six children: Cornelia E. (b. 1884), Bertha L. (b. 1886), Oscar R. (b. 1888), Mary Mina. (b. 1891), Maude F. (b.1894), and Hazel Geraldine (b. 1902). Around 1904, Richard and Mary Ellen moved from Rawdon to Milby and purchased a farm there. Richard died in 1926 and Mary Ellen died in 1948.

Cornelia Boyce marred Edgar A. Orr. The couple owned a farm in Milby. Bertha Boyce married Olie Parker and moved to Sherbrooke. Oscar Boyce married Jennie Sophia McVety. Mary “Minne” Boyce married Silas McVety and moved to Sherbrooke. Maude Boyce married Leonard Graham and moved to Westmount. Hazel Boyce married David Tatley and moved to Belleville, Ontario.

Gingras (family)

  • Famille

Armand J. (a.k.a "Pete") Gingras (1892-1976), son of Napoléon and Virginie Gingras of Sherbrooke, married Leota Moss (1896-1961), daughter of Michael and Bertha Moss of Coaticook, on 25 September 1916. Armand spent his professional life working as a salesman at H.C. Wilson & Sons music store in Sherbrooke for 60 years. Armand and Leota moved to Lennoxville and bought a house on the corner of Academy and Meade Streets. Together, they had at least 2 children: Leonard (1917-2006) and Gerald (1920-1999). Both Leonard and Gerald fought in World War II with the Royal Canadian Air Force. Leonard married Wilma Campbell (1921-2011) on 17 June 1942.

Famille Ward (Thetford, Qué)

  • Famille

Robert G. Ward fils (1837-1907) est né à Saint-Jean-de-Brébeuf (appelé « Lower Ireland » avant 1930) dans le comté de Mégantic. Fils du révérend Robert G. Ward et de Marianne Turriff, il se marie avec Annie M. Cairns, fille de Hamby Cairns et Susan Meagher, née en 1861 et décédée en 1936. Ensemble, ils ont neuf enfants : Robert Grant, dit Bob (1883-?), Hamby Ward (1884-?), Alexander Harry (1885-1964), John Albert (1888-1942), Charles Edgar (1890-1891), James Turriff (1892-?), Annie Maria (1893-1893), Peter Douglas (1895-1977?) et Albion Tudor (1898-1962). En 1876, on trouve de l’amiante dans l’un des champs sur les terres de Robert G. Ward fils, ce qui l’amène à s’intéresser à l’exploitation minière. Il achète ensuite des droits miniers dans le canton de Thetford et ainsi s’amorcent les activités minières de la famille Ward.

Albion T. Ward, mineur, a eu deux femmes : Nita Hammerick/Hammerich, avec qui il se marie en 1925 mais dont il divorce en 1944, et Doris Christine Peterson (1913-1986). Robert Grant Ward, troisième du nom, part à l’ouest pour travailler dans une mine d’or dans sa jeunesse, mais déjà en 1903, il s’était tourné vers une carrière de boxeur amateur à San Francisco. Ses exploits lui valent le titre de champion poids lourd amateur des États-Unis et plus tard, de champion poids lourd professionnel du Commonwealth. Il reviendra plus tard au Québec pour se lancer dans l’exploitation minière. Alexander Henry Ward, dit Harry, se marie avec Agnes Gertrude Moore (née en 1899), fille de William Moore et Sarah Elizabeth Robinson. Ensemble, ils ont sept enfants : Dorothy, dite Dolly (née en 1917), Kathleen (née en 1919), Evelyn (née en 1919), Agnes (1921-1921), Robert (1923-1923), Marjorie (née en 1924) et Lois (née en 1928). Lois T. Ward se marie avec Wilfred Alan Greatrex en Ontario, en 1950.

Draper (family)

  • Famille
  • 19th cent.

Calvin Draper was born on 9 March 1815 in the township of Compton. He was the son of Jonathan and Ruth Draper. Calvin died on 7 May 1874 in the township of Compton.

Rosella Quimby was born on 13 June 1812 in the township of Barnston. She was the daughter of Jonathan and Catherine Quimby. She died on 31 May 1875 in the township of Compton.

Calvin Draper and Rosella Quimby got married in February 1842. They had three daughters: Mary born on 6 April 1843, Catherine born on 5 July 1844, and Julia Elizabeth born on 16 December 1853.

Bown

  • Famille

Captain Thomas Charles Bown was the founder of Bown, Quebec. He came from England and was among the first settlers in Bury in 1836. He took up land and made a home on the Victoria Road mid-way between Bury and Scotstown. In 1841 Thomas was elected delegate to represent Bury at first meeting of the council of the district of Sherbrooke. In 1842, he was elected to first town council in Bury. Thomas was captain in the militia. He promoted the establishment of the first school in his district, known as the Bown School. He also gave land for a church and cemetery near his home. Thomas married Mary Ann Sharman. They had two daughters: Ann Jane, and Mary Aurelia, and three sons, Thomas Jr., and William (who went into the lumber business). Thomas died on June 30th, 1877 aged 87. Mary Ann died on October 1st, 1909, aged 87. They are buried in Bown Cemetery.

Sawyer

  • Famille

Mary (Polly) Hall Sawyer (January 9th, 1787 to May 22nd, 1864). She was the daughter of Hannaniah Hall and Mary Osgood. Mary (Polly) was the wife of Peter Green Sawyer (May 8th, 1783 to July 2nd, 1867). Peter was the son of Josiah Esq. (1757 to March 10th, 1837) and Susanna Green (1757-1836). Josiah was the first pioneer to establish a homestead in the Township of Eaton raising his log cabin on the present site of Sawyerville. Mary and Peter are buried in Grovehill Cemetery. Jerome Sawyer (1834-1919) was the son of Mary (Polly ) Hall and Peter Green Sawyer. Margaret Cairns was Jerome's first wife, and Maria Osgood was his second. Jerome is buried in Eaton Cemetery.

Caswell

  • Famille

Elsa Caswell was married to Howard Caswell on December 7th, 1929. Howard was the son of Charles Frederick Caswell and Wealthy D. Squire. Charles was the son of Denison Caswell and Ellen McClary. Denison was the son of Bingham Caswell and Nellie Chase.

Farnsworth

  • Famille

Samuel Farnsworth (1751-1831) and Anna Wasson (1751-1842) came to Eaton Township in 1799 and settled on lot 14 in the 8th range. Thomas Farnsworth was one of their sons. Thomas married Mary Ann Sage French (d. March 12th, 1890 at age 68). John Avery Farnsworth was one of their sons. Orrin Cecil Farnsworth is the son of John Avery. Orrin was born on April 4th, 1858 and died on November 1st, 1939. He married Margaret Ruth Edwards (June 3rd, 1860 to March 27th, 1948) at St. Sylvester. John Farnsworth is the son of Orrin and Margaret. He was born on September 29th, 1897, and died on February 9th, 1971. He married Marcia Hazel Bina Swenson (b. May 13th, 1901) on February 27th, 1924.

Laberee

  • Famille
  • 19th century

The principle donor, Waymer Stanley Laberee (October 8th, 1907 to October 5th, 1983) graduated with a BA from Bishop's University in 1934. He then served in WWII in the RCASC, and later farmed in Bulwer, Quebec. He married Marion Edith Richardson (April 18th, 1913 to August 31st, 2006) on June 26th, 1935. They had six children: Edward Francis (1936-2003), Waymer Gordon (1939), Marion Joan (1940), David Avery (1944), Brian Rufus (1949), John William (1952). Waymer Stanley was the son of Avery Wakefield Laberee (1878-1956), farmer of Bulwer and Ada Victoria Shorten (1882-1972). They had three children: Kathleen Shorten Laberee, Waymer Stanley and Roberta Mary. Avery's father was Benjamin Rice Laberee (1834-1892) who was married to Mary Jane Wakefield (1840-1925). Benjamin was the son of Rufus Jr. (1805-1858) and Emma Rice (1809-1887). Rufus Jr. was the son of Rufus Laberee Esq. Rufus Laberee Esq., the son of Peter Laberee who came to the Township of Eaton in 1797 where he settled on lots 13 and 14 in the 5th range of that Township, which today (2010) is the present home of Laberee descendants, Dean Taylor and his brother Dennis Taylor in Birchton. Rufus Laberee (1764-1842) was married to Olive Farwell (1769-1814) and they came to the townships the following year with their five children. Five more of their children were born in the Township of Eaton. Henry James Laberee (1862-1943), and his wife Alice Hatton Thomas (1866-1943). Henry was the son of Henry Edwin Laberee and Mary Colburn French. Alice was the daughter of a prosperous farmer in Birchton. Henry conducted a clothier business at age 17. In 1887, he was established as a jeweller with C.C. Bailey. In 1893, Henry moved his family to Sawyerville, Quebec. He was Secretary-Treasurer of Sawyerville for 13 years. He was a jeweller and Mrs. Laberee, an optician. In 1908 he sold his business in Sawyerville and moved to Lennoxville where he became engaged as a jeweller and optician. They had two sons: Harold Thomas b. 1890, Carl Gordon (1896 - d. November 28th, 1918) and is buried in England.

Famille Meade

  • Famille

Joseph Meade (1843-1910) a émigré de l'Angleterre en 1880 pour s'établir avec sa famille dans la région de Coaticook. Il a épousé Lydia Timson avec qui il a eu 6 enfants, incluant Frank (1871-1943) - un gérant à l'usine Belding-Corticelli de 1922 à 1939 - et Sidney A. - un arpenteur et ingénieur. Sidney A. Meade (1882-1961) a d'abord épousé Pearl Johnson (1884-1918) en 1909 avec qui il a eu deux enfants : Sidney (né en 1911) et Cecil (né en 1916). Après la mort de Pearl, Sidney épouse Eva Jane Robinson en 1920. Sidney A. Meade sera admis dans l'Ordre des arpenteurs du Québec le 19 décembre 1908. Il est actif dans les régions de Coaticook et de Sherbrooke. Cecil Meade (1916-1998) est né à Coaticook le 24 décembre 1916. Après avoir étudié au Coaticook High School et à l'Université Bishop's, il travaille comme assistant-arpenteur avec son père, Sydney, pendant quelques années avant de commencer l'étude de la musique au Toronto Conservatory. Par la suite, il sert dans l'armée outremer pendant la Deuxième guerre mondiale et retourne étudier la musique à l'Université McGill. Cela est suivit de quelques autres activités professionnelles. Il est récipiendaire d'un baccalauréat en musique de l'Université McGill en 1957 et passe une bonne partie de sa vie à travailler dans différents pays et sur différents projets musicaux.

Résultats 1 à 30 sur 69