Founded in 1914, the Lennoxville Homemakers' Club at first devoted itself to the patriotic work of helping Canadian soldiers fighting in World War I. In 1921, the Club was renamed the Lennoxville Women's Institute and, like the other Women's Institutes of Canada, adopted the motto, 'For Home and Country' and the mandate of improving family life in rural regions. It is a member of the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. An elected board works with various committees to organize monthly meetings and activities. The latter includes lectures, horticultural contests, school fairs, and fund-raising events for humanitarian organizations.
Showing 2097 resultsAuthority record
Lawrence Ball was born in Lake Megantic on 5 October 1911 and came to Sherbrooke in 1917. He studied at Sherbrooke High School and Dudley Pitman's Shorthand and Business School. From 1936 to 1973, he worked for Bell Canada in Sherbrooke (until 1939), Trois-Rivières, Montreal, St-Jean, St-Jérôme, Drummondville and Québec City. Good at sports, Ball was a member of the Sherbrooke Athletic Club before moving away in 1939. Throughout his career, he worked with many service and community organizations, including the Rotary Club, the Kinsmen, the chambers of commerce of Drummondville and St-Jean, and historical societies in Drummondville and Sherbrooke. On his retirement in 1973, Ball returned to Sherbrooke. He died on 27 February 1986.
The Sherbrooke and District University Women's Club received its charter in 1968 from the Canadian Federation of University Women, though meetings and activities had been taking place since 1965 under the supervision of Lorraine Codère, Enid Hopper, and Van Cornwall-Jones. The Club pursues the same objectives as the Canadian Federation: to promote co-operation among women university graduates, to arouse and sustain among members an intelligent interest in public affairs and education; to guard and improve the economic, legal and professional status of women; to initiate community action in the field of education; to participate in the work of the Canadian and international Federations of University Women. The Sherbrooke and District University Women's Club is part of the Provincial Council of Quebec of University Women's Clubs and of the Canadian Federation of University Women. The Club is administered by its Executive Committee, elected by members at the annual meeting. Committees are formed according to members' interests (Book Club, Social and Political Action Group, Gourmet Group, Physical Fitness Group, and so on). The Club organizes different activities for members (e.g.: lectures, cultural events, conferences, etc..) and the public (book fairs, public-speaking contests, essay contests, and others). As well, it sponsors prizes and bursaries for students attending the region's educational institutions.
Anna LeBaron was born in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia in 1908 to Agnes Elliot and George VanBuskirk. She graduated from McGill University in Physical Education. After teaching in Washington, D.C. for a few years, she came to the Eastern Townships to teach at the Sherbrooke YWCA. Shortly after, she met and married Gordon Lebaron, a North Hatley native. They had three children: Judith, John, and Jane. Anna pursued an interest in the history of New England and more specifically the region's architecture. She died in North Hatley on 23 October 2000 (ashes in Reedsville Cemetery, North Hatley).
William E. Foster was born in 1905. He attended school in Lennoxville and spent his holidays at Darley Place in Knowlton, the home of his great-uncle, Hiram Sewell Foster (occupied at that time by Hiram's son Thomas Knowlton Foster). William E. Foster collected documentation about railroads, probably motivated by his nineteenth-century forebears' tradition of railway building: Dr. Stephen S. Foster, Samuel Willard Foster, George Green Foster, Hiram Sewell Foster, and Asa B. Foster were promoters, organizers, and builders in the Eastern Townships, across Canada, and in New England. Foster died in 1954 and was buried in the Knowlton Cemetery.
John Ewing, his wife Jean Carter, and their children immigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1837 and settled in the Township of Melbourne. Many of their descendants remained in the Eastern Townships. One of these, John Ewing, became Registrar of Richmond in the 1890s and was Mayor of Melbourne from 1898 to 1901 and from 1902 to 1906. Some members of the family, however, left the region for Montreal or California and corresponded with their family in the Townships.
The founding of St. Helen's School (as Dunham Ladies' College), by the Reverend Ashton Oxenden, Bishop of the Diocese of Montreal of the Church of England, dates to 1875, though it did not open its doors until 1878. Administered by a corporation composed of clergymen and lay people, Dunham Ladies' College encountered many financial problems and had to close from 1885 to 1888 and from 1890 to 1894. In 1913, with the College still facing financial difficulties, the Corporation leased it to the then principal, Miss Wade, at her request. Now under the management of a board of governors, Dunham Ladies' College was renamed St. Helen's School. In 1972, St. Helen's School was closed down after almost a century of existence.
James Everett Davidson and his son James Arlington both worked as contractors and builders in Georgeville. James E. Davidson, born in Brigham, Quebec on the 7 March 1860, was the son of William Davidson and Caroline America Everett Beach. On the 1st of January 1883, he married Annie Myrtella Brevoort (the daughter of James Gunn Brevoort and Janet Hurst). He built boats, furniture, and many summer homes in the Lake Memphremagog region. J.E. Davidson died 25 August 1933, at the age of73. James E.'s son, James Arlington Davidson was born in Georgeville on 17 October 1891. James Arlington married Margaret Hazel Merrill and had two daughters, Jean and Janet. He lived almost all his life in Georgeville, working there at first with his father and later alone. In 1977, he wrote a booklet entitled Copp's Ferry Georgeville 1797-1977. He died on 24 February 1979, aged 87.
Catherine M. Day, a writer and historian of the Eastern Townships, was born in 1815 in East Farnham where her parents, Samuel Wells Townsend and Pamela Lawrence owned a farm. In 1840, she married Henry W. Day. The couple and their children lived in Sainte-Thérèse and later in Chambly, Quebec. Henry died in 1854, leaving Catherine with six children to support. She moved to Champlain, New York, where she taught in a young ladies' school. In 1861, she published a novel, "Alice Maynard". The same year, she returned to live in the Eastern Townships. In 1863, she published "Pioneers of the Eastern Townships" and in 1869 "History of the Eastern Townships". Later, she lived in Iowa, first with her daughter Mary and then with her son Samuel. Finally, she returned to the Townships to live with her daughter Pamelia Annie Pearson, wife of William Keene Knowlton. Catherine M. Day died in 1899 in South Stukely and is buried there.
Hazel A. Coates was born in Moe's River in 1893. She married Robert Ashe in 1923; after his death, she married Arthur Coates. She went to school in Lennoxville and became a teacher in local schools. She was active in the region Women's Institutes and published two books with their collaboration : "Story of Ascot. Parts of Ranges I to V, 1803-1948" in 1949, and "A Québec Mosaic. A story of Québec and its crafts" in 1967. The latter book was a Centennial Project. Coates died on 24 November 1980, aged 87. She is buried in Sand Hill Cemetery in Lennoxville.
Vivian C. Wurtele, born around 1835, was the son of Jonathan Wurtele, Seigneur of Rivière-David in Yamaska, and Louisa Sophia Campbell. He married Olympe Paré on 28 September 1882.
Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. was born in Moe’s River to Albert Alonzo Woodman (1825-1895) and Mary Jane Sanborn in 1867. He established himself in Coaticook in 1888 and was married to Emily McKee (1866-1945) on 8 October 1890, at the Church of England, Coaticook. Albert and Emily had two children, Milton A. Woodman (1891-1955) and John B. Woodman (1901 -). In 1892, he went into the grocery business with his brother-in-law Charles McKee under the name Woodman and McKee. The business remained open until 1920. In 1921, Albert moved his family to St. John, N.B. where he served as district manager to the eastern provinces for one year, until he returned to Coaticook. Albert also served as the: Grand Junior Warden of Grand Encampment, the District Deputy Grand Patriarch of the G.E.Q., the District Deputy Grand Master for the Victoria Lodge in 1916, the Commissioner of the Superior Court and Justice of the Peace, President of the Coaticook Board of Trade, Director of the Eastern Townships’ Associated Boards of Trade and President of the Eastern Townships Immigration Society. Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. died in 1931 and is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery.
Albert Alonzo Woodman was born on 19 July 1825 to Joshua S. Woodman and Polly Sturtevant. He married Mary Jane Sanborn on 20 April 1847 in Compton, Que. Albert and his wife had four children together: Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932), Eliza Jane Woodman, Sarah Orcelia Woodman and Milton Sawyer Woodman. He owned a farm in Moe’s River Cemetery.
Murray Milton Woodman was born in 1916 to Milton Albert Woodman (1892-1955) and Aline Hanson (1891-1959) of Coaticook, Que. Murray served as a sergeant in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Second World War, at which time he met his wife Dorothy Jane Neill who was born in Tooting, England. Dorothy was a member of the Royal Air Force and worked as a telephone operator. Their first son Anthony Murray Woodman was born in England, prior to their emigration to Canada. After the war, Murray was employed as a Canadian Immigration Officer. Murray was an avid stamp and coin collector. He was a member of the British North American Philatelic Society, Canadian Philatelic Society of Great Britain, the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada, the Eastern Townships Stamp Club and the St. Francis Collectors Club. Murray also contributed to a weekly column “Bits about Stamps and Coins” at the Sherbrooke Telegram Observer in the 1960s. He owned Woodman- Stamps & Coins in Dixville, Que., which specialized in stamps from Canada, Newfoundland, the United States, the U.N., Ghana and the Vatican. In addition to Anthony, Murray and Dorothy also had Peter Allan Woodman (1945- ) and Ketha Florence Helen Woodman (1951 - ). Murray died in 1983 and is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery.
Peter Allan Woodman was born on 26 July 1945 at the Sherbrooke Hospital to Murray Milton Woodman (1916-1983) and Dorothy Neill Woodman. Peter attended the Coaticook and Knowlton High School. In 1964 and 1966, Peter crossed the Arctic Circle on the 10 C.C.G.S. Montcalm, as he worked as a Cargo Officer on the ship. Peter served the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1967 as an Aircraftman and was honorably discharged the same year. Over the course of the 1960s and the 1970s, Peter was admitted to The Sherbrooke Hospital, The Douglas Hospital, The Queen Mary Hospital, The Veterans Hospital at St. Anne de Bellevue, The Lakeshore General Hospital, St. Vincent de Paul Hospital and L’hopital Hotel Dieu to treat his bipolar disorder. In 1969, Peter completed a cabinet-making course at Laurentian Regional High School in Lachute, Que. He moved to Manitoba in 1976 where his brother Anthony Woodman resides, and completed a carpentry program at Keewatin Community College. In addition to his carpentry and cabinet certificates, Peter also received a certificate in 1988 from the Ambassador College for the Bible Correspondence Course. In 2001, Sherbrooke’s Church of Latter Day Saints ordained Peter. Peter’s interests extend to a number of social causes as he has been an advocate for the rights of mental health patients through his involvement with Pro- Quebec, and more specifically Pro-Def Estrie. He has also been an active supporter of social housing in Canada.
The Woodmans trace their North American roots back to Edward Woodman who first emigrated to Newbury Mass.from Wiltshire, England in 1623. Joshua S. Woodman and his wife Polly Sturtevant settled in Hatley on Lot no. 5, 2nd Range in 1819. Together they had six children: Mary M. (3 October 1813), Joshua S. (25 October 1815), Eliza J. (3 April 1821), Caleb T., Albert Alonzo (19 July 1825), Sarah (27 July 1828). Johsua died on 10 March 1865. Joshua’s son, Albert Alonzo Woodman married Mary Jane Sanborn on 20 April 1847 in Compton, Que. They owned a farm in Moe’s River. Together, Albert and Mary had four children: Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932), Eliza Jane Woodman, Sarah Orcelia Woodman and Milton Sawyer Woodman. Albert Alonzo Woodman died on 7 September 1895 and is buried at the Moe’s River Cemetery.
Keith Anthony Woodman was born 7 March 1993 to Anthony Murray Woodman and Shelley Briem. Growing up Keith was a member of the Boy Scouts and the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. Over the course of his life, he moved a number of times between the Pas, Thompson and Leaf Rapids. He worked at the Leaf Rapids Co-op and had also moved to Winnipeg for a short period of time to work at the Winnipeg Free Press. Keith was killed 5 April 2009 in a home invasion while he house-sitting for a friend at Mikinak Bay, Manitoba. At the time of his death, Keith was a tenth grade student at the Leaf Rapids Education Centre and worked as a math tutor.
John Bernard Woodman was born on January 15 1901 in Coaticook, Que, to Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932) and Emily McKee (1866-1945). John served as a lieutenant for the Royal Canadian Air Force during the First World War. In 1947, John married Madelyn Abbie Rider, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick H. Rider in Montreal, Que. Both John and Madelyn had graduated from Stanstead College. John also graduated from the College of Dentistry at McGill University and was oftentimes referred to as Dr. Jack. John and Madelyn resided in New York and Washington.
Helen Woodman was born in 1910 to Milton A. Woodman (1892-1955) and Aline Hanson (1891-1959). Helen worked as a nurse at the Sherbrooke Hospital and married Albert M. Lisso (1906-1996). Helen died in 1993, Helen and Albert are both buried in the Paris Cemetery in Brant County, Ontario.
Joshua S. Woodman was born in 1790. He married to Polly Sturtevant (10 January 1786) from Barton, Vermont and they settled on No. 5, 2nd Range of Hatley in 1819. Joshua and Polly had six children together: Mary M (3 October 1813), Joshua S. (25 October 1815), Eliza J. (3 April 1821), Caleb T., Albert Alonzo (19 July 1825), Sarah (27 July 1828). Polly died on the 15 March 1849. Joshua then married his second wife Arethusa Bucknell who died on 27 June 1854. Joshua died on 10 March 1865.
Milton Albert Woodman was born on 29 September 1892 to Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932) and Emily McKee (1866-1945) in Coaticook, Que. On 17 September 1914, he married Aline Hanson (1891-1959) at the Church of England, Coaticook and together they had two children: Murray Milton Woodman (1916-1983) and Helen Woodman (1923-1993). Milton served in the First World War and worked in the grocery business. Milton A. Woodman died in 1955 and was buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery.
Sally Wood suceeded John A Wheeler in 1897 as photographer in the Brome area. She had her own photo studio until 1907. Sally was one of the rare woman photographers of the period, and was unique in that glass negatives were usually produced by men due to the heaviness of the equipement. She specialised in photographs of the coutryside and landscapes as well as archicteture of the area. In 1905, Sally toured Brome County taking photographs of the most pictoresque sites.
- Corporate body
The Knowlton Conference was an annual gathering of Christian workers during the summer. The first Conference was held August 11, 1902 at Knowlton. In 1932, the Conference ended due to financial difficulties. For further information see vol. 1 and 2 of the History of Brome County by Rev. E.M. Taylor.
The first school was established in Danville in 1817. Following enlargement and reorganization in 1854, it was named the Danville Academy. Managed during the 19th century by a three-member board of trustees, this non-sectarian school lasted until the Asbestos-Danville-Shipton High School was opened in 1951. In the 1950s, the building was sold to the Catholic Church and converted into a Carmelite convent, Carmel de Belle-Croix.
Lawyer, businessman, and public figure Paul Desruisseaux was born in Sherbrooke on 1 May 1905 to Geoffrey Desruisseaux and Sarah Gauthier. In 1945, he married Céline Duchesne. They had four children. Paul Desruisseaux studied at the École du Sacré-Coeur and the Séminaire St-Charles-Borromée in Sherbrooke, the law school of Université de Montréal, the Babson Institute, and Harvard University. In 1934, he was admitted to the Quebec Bar. The following year, he opened an office in Sherbrooke and practised law there until 1961. Desruisseaux was also a businessman who founded and managed many companies. In 1955, he and Alphée Gauthier bought La Tribune Ltée, which owned La Tribune newspaper, radio stations CHLT and CKTS, and CHLT television station. In 1966, after many strikes and conflicts, La Tribune Ltee was sold to Québec Télémédia Inc. The same year, Desruisseaux was appointed to the Senate by Governor-General Georges Vanier at the request of Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson. Paul Desruisseaux sat on the boards of many humanitarian organizations such as the Canadian Red Cross Society in Sherbrooke and the Canadian Association for Retarded Children. In 1964, Desruisseaux was awarded an honorary doctorate of law by Université de Sherbrooke. Paul Desruisseaux died in 1982, two years after retiring from the Senate, following a lengthy illness.
Thomas Johnson was born in Bampton, Westmoreland, England in 1789. Ordained deacon in 1815 in the United Church of England and Ireland and priest in 1817, in 1819 he was sent to Canada, to the Diocese of Quebec, by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. He was assigned to the mission of Charleston before being transferred to Abbotsford in 1830. In 1850 or 1851, he retired. Johnson died in 1881 at the age of 92.
The Denison Mills Women's Institute was founded in 1923. Like the other Women's Institutes of Canada, whose motto is 'For Home and Country', this one was concerned with family life in rural regions. It was a member of the Richmond County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Delegates attended the annual meetings of these organizations. The Denison Mills Women's Institute also worked jointly organizing activities with Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. Locally, an elected board of directors worked with various committees (Agriculture, Family Economy, Education, Citizenship, Health and Welfare, Publicity) to organize activities and monthly meetings. The Denison Mills Women's Institute first Board of Directors decided in 1923 that the money raised by their organization would be used to build and maintain a community hall. Only four years later, in 1927, the hall was opened for use. The Women's Institute organized and was involved in many other activities over the years: public lectures; horticultural competitions; school contests and fairs; and fund raising (through bake sales, card parties, charity sales, and draws) for the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and many other humanitarian organizations. In 1991, the Denison Mills Women's Institute was disbanded.
The Brompton Road Women's Institute was founded in 1924. Like the other Women's Institutes of Canada, whose motto is 'For Home and Country', this one is concerned with family life in rural regions. It is a member of the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. As well, it organizes activities jointly with Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue and the Brompton Road Musical and Social Association. Its programming focuses on the education of mothers and rural women, on the health and welfare of children, the preservation of national traditions, and the development of patriotism. A committee of three members is elected to organize the various activities and the monthly meetings. The Brompton Road Women's Institute was disbanded in 1998.
Born in Quebec City on 19 March 1811, George Frederick Bowen was the son of Edward Bowen, politician and Chief Justice, and Eliza Davidson. In 1843, he married Eliza Wyatt (a.k.a. Jessie, d. 1862) on 5 July 1843 in Sherbrooke and together they had seven children: Edward Charles (1844-1903), Francis Arthur (b. 1845), Eliza Jessie Catherine (1847-1900), Frederick William Wyatt (1849-1896), Ernest Henry (1854-1854), Florence Mary (1855-1866), and Alfred Cecil Hale (b. 1860). Bowen studied law in Quebec and was admitted to the Bar in 1832. In 1835, he opened a law practice in Sherbrooke. From 1844 to 1887, he was Sheriff of the District of St. Francis. From 1887 to 1898, he was Prothonotary of the District, jointly with Hubert C. Cabana. Other positions he held include Justice of the Peace, Chairman of Quarter Sessions and Commissioner in Bankruptcy. As well, Bowen was Mayor of Sherbrooke from 1852 to 1854, worked with a number of Sherbrooke-area associations, and pursued a military career. George Frederick Bowen died in Sherbrooke on 26 April 1898.
The Hyatt family came to the United States from England in the mid-17th century. Abraham Hyatt and his family were living in Schenectady at the start of the American Revolution. He supported the Loyalist side and enlisted in the army with two of his sons, Gilbert and Cornelius. Around 1778-1780, Abraham Hyatt, his wife, and his ten children (Gilbert, Cornelius, Abraham, Jacob, Charles, Isaac, Joseph, Anna, Mary, and Merriam) took refuge in the province of Quebec. After the Proclamation of 1792 permitting the colonization of the Eastern Townships, Gilbert Hyatt and 204 associates requested the Township of Ascot. In 1792, having obtained authorization to survey the township, Gilbert and many members of his family settled in. It was not until 1803, however, that he and 30 associates received the letters patent for the land. Gilbert Hyatt held many public offices. He was appointed as Justice of the Peace in 1806 and in 1808, as Commissioner to administer the oath of allegiance to applicants for land in the Township of Ascot in 1808. He died in Sherbrooke on 17 September 1823, aged 62.