Showing 1508 resultsAuthority record
Pierre Heyvaert was born in Belgium in 1934. He came to Québec in 1957. He represented Canada at the 1965 Forma Viva International Sculpture Symposium in Kostanjevica (in what is now called Slovenia) and was among the artist invited to participate in 1966 International Sculpture Symposium in Québec City. The following year, he created a sculpture for Expo 67 entitled Acier, a piece which appeared to rest upon the surface of the water surrounding the Quebec Pavillion. Heyvaert work in wood and metal to roam abstract geometric sculptures, some of which are referred to as " espace triangulaires". His pieces have been exhibited both in Canada and abroad, notably a the Galerie Cheval de Verre (Brussels, 1964), the Calgary Allied Arts Council (1968) the Musée du Québec (1969) the Deson-Zaks Gallery (Chicago, 1969) and the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (1970).
Source: Historical Dictionary of Quebec Sculpture in the 20th Century http://dictionnaire.espaceartactuel.com/en/
Originally from El Salvador, South America, Victor came to the Eastern Townships in 1980 in order to study Biology and Fine Arts at Bishop's University. In 1984, the El Salvador Post office published a series of six postage stamps with the birds drawn by Victor Hellebuyck.
Originally from El Salvador, South America, Hellebuyck came to the Eastern Townships in 1980 in order to study Biology and Fine Arts at Bishop's University. In 1984, the El Salvador Post office published a series of six postage stamps with the birds drawn by Victor Hellebuyck.
- fl. 1855-1865
Robert Harris was born in Vale of Conway, Wales in 1849. In 1856, his family brought him with them to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. As a youngster, he was encouraged by his mother to paint. He graduated from Prince of Wales College, Charlottetown in 1863, began work as a land surveyor, and painted in spare time. It was not until 1867 that he traveled to Europe and visited many art galleries, which inspired him to become a professional painter. He began painting in Charlottetown in 1868 and was commissioned by Executive council of Prince Edward Island to paint speakers in House of Assembly 1871. He studied art in Boston 1873-74 under William Rimmer (1860-1879) and Thomas Dewing (1851-1938) and on return worked as a portrait painter. He returned to Europe for study in 1876-78 and copied old master, including paintings by Velasquez (1599-1660) at the National Gallery London. He studied under Alphonse Legros, (1837-1911) and painted in the atelier of Léon Bonnet (1868-1936) Paris. He painted in both oil and watercolour and completed many portraits including those of Earl of Aberdeen, Lord Strathcona, Lord Minto and Sir John A. Macdonald. He was chartered member of Royal Canadian Academy. He died in 1919 in Montréal and was buried in Charlottetown. Prince Edward Island.
Excerpted from "Early Painters and Engravers in Canada" p.148
Olaf Hanel was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1943. He became a Canadian Citizen in 1982. He has a Master degree in teaching of visual arts from the Faculty of education in Pardubice. He has taught art extensively at elementary schools and CEGEP, and illustrated books
Source: Curriculum vitae, Olaf Hanel.
Born at Melbourne, Australia. Came to Canada in 1876. Studied in London at the Slade School of Art under Professor Alphonse Legros (1837-1911) ; at the Julian Academy in Paris under William A. Bouguereau (1825-1905) and Tony Robert-Fleury (1837-1911) and in Rome at the Sculola Libera. Exhibited in the Royal Academy from 1886-1895, in the National Academy of Design, New York, and at Munich, Berlin and Dusseldorf. Awarded a third class medal at Paris Salon, 1890; a silver medal at the Pan-American Exhibition, 1901. Elected A.R.C.A., 1893, and R.C.A., 1894. A member of O.S.A. since 1898 and President, 1908 -1913.
Source: Newton, MacTavish, "The Fine Arts in Canada"
Kenneth Keith Forbes was born in 1869 in Toronto, Ontario. He studied at the Newlyn School in the United Kingdom where he won a four-year scholarship to the Hospitalfield House school, Arbroath, Scotland. He won a Chase Scholarship in London with a portrait sketch, he attended the Slade School of Fine Art. By the young age of nineteen he had a portrait exhibited at the Royal Academy. He became a master of realism and used oil paint.
Forbes had been in military service. He served with the 10th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. In 1917 Forbes received a commission by Lord Beaverbrook (Max Aitken) to paint a series of official war pictures of the front.
In the late 1950's Forbes resigned from both the Ontario Society of Artists and The Royal Canadian Academy due to personal displeasures with the groups, he was not fond of the popularity and recognition of the more abstract modern art that was being produced. He published a short book, "Great Art to the Grotesque", as a full statement of his rejection of the artistic worth of abstract or what was considered Modern Art.
In 1958, Forbes, Manley MacDonald, Victor Llewellyn Child, Gordon Roy Conn and others established the Ontario Institute of Painters, a group that supported traditional realist artists. Members included Douglas Ferguson Elliott, J. R. Tate, and Marion Long.
Forbes was awarded the Thomas R. Proctor Prize for portraiture by the National Academy of Design, New York in 1932 and 1939. In 1967, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. He is still recognized as an academician of The Royal Canadian Academy.
His works are held by The Canadian War Museum and The House of Commons in Ottawa, Ontario among other institutions.
Forbes died in Toronto on February 25, 1980.
Source: Q Gallery http://www.galerie-q.com/canadian-masters/kenneth-keith-forbes.html?tmpl=component&print=1
François-Marie Bertrand was born in Granby, Québec. He attended École d'art du Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal from 1969-1973. Since then he has had many exhibitions , both alone and in a group. He lives in Montreal, Québec.
Source: Curriculum Vitae of artist François-Marie Bertrand
John Ballantyne was born in Montréal in 1944. His earliest painting classes were with Alfred Pinsky and Arthur Lismer. Following High School he studied civil engineering but finally, in 1967, left these studies to return to his first love, painting. In 1968, he joined the New School of Art in Toronto. After one year hel left to work in France. In Nice, he worked in "Centre artistique de rencontres internationales" , part of "L'École nationale d'art décoratif de Nice". In 1970, he was offered a studio in the village of Cagnes near Nice. There he began his work surrounded by the ghosts of Renoir, Modigliani, Soutine and Pissarro. His work quickly evolved from colour-field through photo-realism into a soft, quiet style of realism called by critics "hyper-surrealism". Following some early successes in England and France, John returned to Québec in late 1973. He set a studio outside of Sutton in order to develop his work in an isolated environment. From Sutton his works have found their way around the world and into collections across Canada, the United States, France, England and Denmark.
Source: resume of artist John Ballantyne, 994 ch Vallée Road, Sutton, Québec, J0E 2K0
Born at les Sables d'Olenne, France, André enjoyed her grandfather's collection of paintings as a child and visited the Cathedral St. Baven in Ghent where Van Eyck's "Mystic Lamb" and an important exhibition of Ingres and Delacroix could be seen. Later she studied at the Académie Royale Des Beaux Arts in Brussels, 1943-48; Académie St. Josse De Noode, Brussels, 1947-48; Institut National Supérieur Des Beaux Arts, Antwerp, 1948-49; École Nationale Supérieur Des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, under Marcel Gromaire, 1949-50. She came to Canada in 1951. A painter of abstract humanism, she had been influenced by the work of Ingres, Van Eyck, Memlinc, Brueghel, Henry Moore, and Marc Toby in her quest for expression. Her media includes , oils, water colours, tempera, mixed media, and graphic media. She completed a mural for an Edmonton chapel entitled "Christos Pneuma" and is represented in the Vancouver Art Gallery. She has taught at the University of British Columbia, the Banff School of Fine Arts, and Vancouver Art Gallery. She died in 2009.
Source: Dictionary of Canadian Artists, Volume 1, 1967. Colin MacDonald
William S. Hunter Junior was born at St. John's Québec in 1823. He married Miss Nancy Parsons of Stanstead and had two daughters and one son. In the Canada Directory of 1857-58, he was listed as an artist, illustrator and designer. In 1867 he was listed as a mining broker and 1875 as a manufacturer of boots, shoes and harness. He died November 29, 1894 and is buried in Stanstead, Québec.
Source: The Eastern Townships, Artists and Engravers, Charles de Volpi and P. H. Scowen
Hogarth was born in 1697 near the East End cattle market of Smithfield. His father, Richard Hogarth, made an unsuccessful attempt to open a Latin-speaking coffeehouse, which left the family bankrupt, Richard confined to Fleet Prison, and the young William fending for himself.
After apprenticing at a silver workshop, where he mastered the art of engraving, Hogarth opened his own print shop. The artist’s first widespread notice came with the publication of The South Sea Scheme (1721), ridiculing the greed and corruption of stock market speculators. A Harlot's Progress (1732) brought Hogarth tremendous success and celebrity, leading to a second morality series, A Rake's Progress (1734).
Throughout the 1730s and 1740s, the artist’s reputation grew and so did his interest in social and moral reform. Hogarth’s work took on a distinctly propagandist tone, directed at the urbanization of London and the city’s problems with crime, prostitution, gambling, and alcoholism.
Industry and Idleness (1747) was designed to encourage young boys to develop a strong Protestant work ethic and thus achieve success. Beer Street and Gin Lane (1751), directed at the widespread sale and consumption of alcohol, were followed by The Four Stages of Cruelty (1751), which condemned rampant acts of cruelty to animals.
Hogarth died in 1764 in his home in Leicester Fields, leaving behind an extraordinary legacy. Working almost entirely outside the academic art establishment, he revolutionized the popular art market and the role of the artist. Hogarth strived to create works of great aesthetic beauty but also ones that would help to make London a better city for future generations.
Source: Princeton Library https://library.princeton.edu/hogarth/biography
Jennifer Dickson had already established and international reputation as an artist, before emigrating to Canada in 1969. Born in the Republic of South Africa in 1936, she studied at Goldsmiths’ College School of Art (University of London, England) from 1954 - 1959; and from 1960 - 1965 was an Associate of the prestigious graphic workshop, Atelier 17 in Paris, studying under the late S.W. Hayter. She has lived and worked in England, France, Jamaica and the U.S.A. In 1974 she became a Canadian Citizen.
Since 1962, Jennifer Dickson has had more than 60 one-person exhibitions in six countries and has participated in more than 400 group exhibitions. She has been a guest lecturer at nine U.S.A. Universities, and has been invited to speak across Canada at Canadian art schools and universities.
Her awards include the Prix de Jeunes Artistes pour Gravure, from the 1963 Biennale de Paris, and a Special Purchase Award from the World Print Competition (San Francisco Museum of Art, 1974). In 1980 she was awarded the Biennale Prize of the 5th Norwegian International Print Biennale. She has represented Canada in the Internationale Buchkunst-Austellung Leipzig on several occasions since 1977. In 1988 her book, The Hospital for Wounded Angels, was chosen by the Association of Canadian Publishers as the Canadian book for presentation at the London Book Fair.
In 1976 Jennifer Dickson was elected a Royal Academician by the Royal Academy of Art, in London, England - - the only Canadian in the 200 year history of this prestigious institution to have been so honored. She is, in addition, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers (London, England). In 1988 she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the University of Alberta, Edmonton, for her contribution to Canadian culture.
The Still Photography Division of the National Film Board has supported and circulated two major exhibitions of Jennifer Dickson’s photo-based imagery: “The Secret Garden” (1975) and “The Earthly Paradise” (1980). The PARADISE exhibition was shown in 1981 at the Centre Culturel Canadien in Paris.
Jennifer Dickson’s photographs of Versailles are reproduced in a book of poems by Jane Urquart entitled, The Little Flowers of Madame de Montespan (Porcupine’s Quill, Inc. 1984). Her photographs were used as cover images on The Revels by Robert Billings (Porcupine’s Quill, Inc. 1987) and The Fountains of Neptune by Rikki du Cornet (McClelland & Stewart, 1989).
Jennifer Dickson’s exhibition, The Last Silence, organized by the new Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography (an affiliate of the National Gallery of Canada) toured the Palazzo Te in Mantua, Italy and the Canadian Cultural Centre in Rome in 1993. The Last Silence exhibit opened at the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography in Ottawa in November 1993.
O.C., O. Ont., R.C.A.
David Blackwood is one of Canada’s most respected visual storytellers. His narrative work reflects the legend, toughness and landscape of Newfoundland- an historic journey not that far removed in essence and time.
Blackwood’s work has been exhibited nationally and internationally with over 90 solo shows and scores of group exhibitions. He has been the subject of two major retrospective exhibitions and the National Film Board’s 1974 Academy-Award nominated documentary film BLACKWOOD. http://www.madronagallery.com/historical/davidblackwood
Dr. G. J. Bompas was born in Bristol, England on September 12, 1812. Studied medicine in Cambridge and Edinburgh, F.R.C.S. . Married Marianne Bedonne in 1838. They had twelve children. Came to Canada in 1860 and settled in Bury Township; did not practice medicine. Taught Botany and Art at Stanstead College and Bishop's College. He did a great many drawings and paintings of the Eastern Townships. Died in Lennoxville, on June 23, 1889.
Source: "The Artists, and Engravers" The Eastern Townships, Charles de Volpi and P.H. Scowen
Monique Voyer was born in 1928 in the Eastern Townships. She studied at the Montréal School of Fine Arts and the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris, and completed several advanced courses in prints and multiple techniques. She was a college professor from 1972 to 1993. She is a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. Source: https://www.histoiremagog.com/fonds-monique-voyer-pr026/
Monique Voyer est née en 1928 dans les Cantons de l’Est. Elle fait ses études à l’École des beaux-arts de Montréal et à l’École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts de Paris, en plus d’effectuer plusieurs stages de perfectionnement en estampes et techniques multiples. Elle fut professeure au collégial de 1972 à 1993. Elle est membre de l’Académie royale des arts du Canada Source : https://www.histoiremagog.com/fonds-monique-voyer-pr026/
G.H. Stanley Mills graduated from Bishop's University in 1943. He was educated at Selwyn House, Montreal and Bishop's College School, Lennoxville. He served in the Canadian Navy during World War II and continued his education at McGill University and Merton College, Oxford. His principal interests were English and History and he lectured on these subjects at both Bishop's and McGill. He was also a gifted writer of historical articles that were published in a number of English magazines. He died in Montreal in 1993. The Stanley Mills Scholarship in Humanities was established in 1995 at Bishop's University by the G.H. Stanley Mills Memorial Trust.
Lloyd Millar received a B.Sc. degree from Bishop's University in 1943. He was brother to Charles Millar '40 and Oliver Millar '39. He died in 2009 in Summerside, PEI.