Showing 1508 results

Authority record

Frizzell, Harold C.

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1921-2010

Harold C. Frizzell was born on December 20, 1921. While attending the local high school he served on the Students’ Council, played hockey and basketball and was among the school’s skiers. He returns in the third year to continue a B.Sc. course majoring in Chemistry and Physics. He received a B.Sc. from Bishop's University in 1946 married Margaret C. H___ (1922-2007). He served in the Canadian Artillery during WWII and while at Bishop’s volunteered to farm out west. He was grandfather of Raymond Frizzell ’10. (Bishop's Magazine 2011). Harold C. Frizzell died on October 27, 2010.

Borlase, George

  • Person

George Borlase graduated from Bishop's University in 1855. According to the Barreau de Quebec he was on the Role of Order until 1880. The Sherbrooke Weekly Examiner and L'Electeur indicate that he committed suicide in August 8, 1883. He left behind a wife and seven children.

Duval, Raymond Errol

  • Person
  • 1920-2007

Raymond Errol Duval was the founder of the department of Business Administration at Bishop's University, and taught there from 1958-1983. Duval was born in Grand’Mere, Quebec on December 20, 1920. He first came to Bishop’s University as a student in 1939 and took part in all the available sporting activities, playing in each with “the same fiery enthusiasm, that determined desire to win.” He also acted in plays, was editor of The Mitre, and graduated with History Honors in 1942. Immediately after graduation, Errol obtained a commission in the Canadian Army, but his military career was cut short. He was invalided back to Canada from England in 1943. During his convalescence in London, Ontario, he met and married his wife Evelyn in 1949; their twins Greg and Catherine were born in 1951. After regaining his health, Errol entered graduate studies at the University of Western Ontario where he obtained a Diploma in Business Administration in 1951 and an M.B.A. in 1954. He taught Business Administration at Western and at the University of Windsor before he was invited to Bishop’s in 1958 to introduce a Business program. In the early 1960s, a two-member department, just Errol and an accounting professor, managed to offer a Business major for a B.A. degree. Despite these limited resources the program was a great success. Business alumni from that period, including David Williams after whom the Business School is now named, value the education they received. On arrival at Bishop’s, Errol also started an evening course in Executive Development that was extremely successful. Some 450 executives completed the course up to 1968 when it merged with a program given by the Canadian Institute of Management. Errol was also keen that the department should always have the best advice available, and ensured this by establishing an Advisory Committee of distinguished business people. By the time Errol retired, the Department had grown into a Division with twenty faculty and about one hundred graduates per year. Errol made many contributions to the administrative operations of the University and to the local community as a lay reader at local churches and as an enthusiastic member of Lennoxville Curling Club and Milby Golf Club, of which he was a founding member in 1964. The University recognized Errol’s outstanding contributions by the award of a D.C.L. at his retirement in 1983. He went to live in Jersey with his second wife Clare, who came from that island. Errol Duval, Professor Emeritus of Business, died on May 17, 2007.

Douglas, Cedric Stuart

  • Person
  • 1890-1968

Cedric Stuart Douglas wa born on 16 December 1890 in East Farnham, Quebec. He was the son of William James and Susan (Pearson) Douglas. He received his BA in 1914 from McGill University, then qualified as a teacher and French specialist and taught in Sutton. In 1916-1917, he was principal at Danville Academy where Marjorie Todd Bridgette was a teacher. In December 1917, he passed an army medical examination, reporting for duty at the end of the school year in July 1918. Attestation Papers induct #2522776 Gunner Cedric S. Douglas in to the 79th Battery Canadian Field Artillery (C.F.A). His battalion, by now the Second Canadian Tank Battalion, sailed from Quebec City on 5 October 1918. En route the Spanish Flu broke out and on arrival in English, everyone was hospitalized until after the Armistice. In England, waiting to be sent home, Cedric was made a Sergeant and taught at Khaki College.

Cedric eventually returned from England and was discharged on 30 July 1919. He had already secured the position of Principal at Cowansville Academy, and promptly wrote to Miss Bridgette, arranged to visit Birchton and in October proposed. Cedric and Marjorie Todd Bridgette were married 3 July 1920. Together they had two children: John Creighton and Robert Keith.

During the 1930s Great Depression, Cedric was Principal at several schools in different parts of the Province, but when Creighton entered McGill, he found a teaching position at Westmount High School in Montreal. At home in Sutton, he ran a small printing business, and after retirement, taught at St. Helen's School in Dunham. Cedric died in Sutton, Quebec on 26 June 1968.

Winn, Susan Anglin

  • Person

Susan Anglin Winn graduated from Bishop's University in 1961, and later received a M.Ed. from McGill University. In 1996 she retired from the Lester B. Pearson School Board after 32 years as a teacher, consultant and school administrator.

Whalley, George

  • Person
  • 1915-1983

George Whalley (25 July 1915 - 27 May 1983) was a scholar, poet, naval officer and secret intelligence agent during World War II, CBC broadcaster, musician, biographer, and translator.He taught English at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario (1950-80) and was twice the head of the department. He was elected to the Royal Society of Canada in 1959. He married Elizabeth Watts on July 25, 1944. His brother, Peter Whalley, was a famous artist and cartoonist. Whalley completed his first B.A. at Bishop's University, in Lennoxville, Quebec, graduating in 1935. As a Rhodes Scholar, he completed his second B.A. at Oriel College, Oxford, in 1939. He received an M.A. from Oriel College, Oxford, in 1945. He completed his second M.A. degree at Bishop's University in 1948. His thesis was entitled "A Critique of Criticism." He received his Ph.D. from King's College, University of London, in 1950. Whalley was a leading expert on the writings of the poet and critic Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Whalley served in the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve (1940-56) and was on active duty in the
Royal Navy (1940-45). After the war, Whalley served as the Commander to HMCS Cataraqui in Kingston (1952-56). He retired with the rank of Commander in 1956. Whalley's wartime poetry has been praised as displaying a mature range and scope unique amongst second world war poets. George Whalley died in Kingston, Ontario in 1983.

Marie-Aimée Warrot

  • Person
  • 1915-1971

Marie Aimeé Warrot was born in France on the 18th of February 1915. She gave her first piano recital at the age of seven. From the age of nine she attended the Conservatoire National de Musique in Paris, until the age of fifteen when she was awarded the first prize in piano. She worked with Robert Casadesus and Alfred Cortot, and also studied in Vienna, Austria with the great pianist Emil von Sauer, who had been a student of Franz Liszt and Nicholas Rubinstein. Marie Aimée Warrot's musical tour of Europe was interrupted by World War II, and recommenced in 1944, encompassing North America in 1955. She gave recitals for television and radio, and appeared with many of the great European orchestras playing all over Europe. In 1969 Marie Aimée Warrot came to live in the Eastern Townships with her husband Bishop's University Professor Claude Treil. Marie Aimée Warrot made two critically
acclaimed musical recordings, the first in 1970 and the second in 1971. In March of 1971 she gave a last recital in Centennial Theatre at Bishop's University. She died in September of 1971.

Walker, Beulah

  • Person

Beulah Lilian Marlin Walker graduated from Bishop's University in 1938 with a High School Diploma' and her sister Millicent Marlin graduated in the same year. In 1942 Beulah Marlin married Frederick Walker. She was a teacher at Granby High School, 1939-1941; Assistant Principal at the Brownsburg Intermediate School, 1941-1942; and later office clerk Superheater Company, Sherbrooke.

Tondino, Guido

  • Person

Guido Tondino taught Drama at Bishop's University, Lennoxville, Quebec from 1979-1983. He is one of the country's top designers, having worked professionally since graduating from the National Theatre School of Canada/NTS. He also studied at Tulane University. For Centaur Theatre , with whom he has had a long relationship, he designed the premieres of Vittorio Rossi's The Chain and Paradise by the River; David Fennario's Moving; Kit Brennan's Having (1999); as well as Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, David French's Salt-Water Moon, and Paul Ledoux and David Young's Fire. He has also designed for the Saidye Bronfman Centre (Cold Storage), Neptune Theatre (Les Canadiens) and Tarragon Theatre (Something Red).
From 1986-91 he was the associate director and resident designer for Theatre Calgary where he designed, among other works, Hamlet and Waiting for Godot. He has worked extensively at the Stratford Festival, drawing critical raves in 1997 for his design for the company's Death of a Salesman. For the company he also designed Much Ado About Nothing, The Night of the Iguana, Filumena and The Little Foxes (among others). He designed productions of Present Laughter (Soulpepper Theatre Company 2001); Lenin's Embalmers by Vern Thiessen (Winnipeg Jewish Theatre and Harold Green Jewish Theatre 2010); La Peau d'Elisa by Carole Fréchette (2011), L'Homme du hasard, Grace & Gloria by Tom Ziegler (trans Michel Tremblay (2011), and Porc-épic by David Paquet (2012) at UniThéâtre. He has also designed in the United States, where he lived from 1980 to 1986, for the Abbey Theatre in Dublin, and the National Theatre of Romania. From 1998 to 2002, he was the director of design at the National Theatre School of Canada. He is currently in the faculty of the University of Alberta Drama Department.

Sweeny, James

  • Person

James Sweeny received a B.A. from Concordia University in 1975, and an M.A. from Bishop's University in 1994. The subject of his thesis being A History of the Faculty of Divinity, Bishop's University, 1843-1971. He is also the author of Our saints and our stories : a history of the churches in the Greater Parish of St. Francis of Assisi (1996) and A short history of the Diocese of Quebec 1793-1993 (1993). For many years he was the editor of the Quebec Diocesan Gazette. He also worked at Bishop's University Library and served as the Diocesan Archivist for the Diocese of Quebec. He retired in 2019.

Stevens, Trevor C.

  • Person

Trevor C. Stevens attended Bishop's University in 1935-36, and his twin brother, Basil Webster Stevens, graduated in from Bishop's in 1936. His granddaughter, Martha MacLaurin, graduated also from Bishop's in 1994. The donor of these records, Charlotte Stevens MacLaurin, is his daughter. Her aunt and mother also attended Bishop's 1935-1938.

Smith, Kenneth W.

  • Person

Kenneth W. Smith graduated from Bishop's University with a B.A. in 1935.

Sauerbrei, Claude

  • 1897-1959

Claude Sauerbrei graduated from Bishop's University in 1924 and was Professor of Theology at Bishop's 1929-1936.

Claude Sauerbrei was born on 17 November 1897 in Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain. His father John Sauerbrei was born in Bavaria, Germany. Claude’s mother was Ellen Matilda Veasey. Other children born to the family in Las Palmas were Mark (1896) and John (1899). The family was found on the 1901 England census at the Crown Hotel in Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland. In 1910 the three boys were listed as passengers of the Dakar, traveling from Las Palmas to Liverpool.

John Sr immigrated to Quebec, Canada first and Ellen and the children were found on the 24 April 1912 passenger list of the Royal George, destination given as Quebec, purpose to join hotel manager husband. Claude and John were listed at Toronto’s Upper Canada College as students for 1912-1913; it stated that their father was managing the CNR Hotel Krausmann in Toronto. Previous schooling included Elmhurst School for Boys, South Croydon and it is likely that Mark also attended Elmhurst.

The three Sauerbrei boys signed their attestation papers in Kenora within days of each other, Claude on February 12, John on February 14, and Mark on February 15 in 1916. Claude, age 18, gave his occupation as clerk. Recruiting for the 94th Battalion, based in Port Arthur, Ontario, had begun in late 1915, drawing from throughout northwestern Ontario. In May of 1915 companies from Kenora and Fort Frances moved to Port Arthur and in early June left for ‘summer camp’ as they called it in Valcartier, Quebec. On 28 June 1916, with the 94th Battalion, aboard the Olympic, Mark, Claude, and John embarked from Halifax on their way overseas. Once in England the 94th Battalion ceased to exist and Privates Claude and John Sauerbrei were transferred to the 17th Reserve Battalion while Mark was transferred to the 32nd Reserve Battalion and appointed as Acting Lance Corporal. From there, Claude and John were transferred to the 16th Battalion and headed over to France together, joining the unit in the field on 9 October 1916.

Claude began having difficulties with his heart after Vimy Ridge in April of 1917, his record noting a partial loss of function that caused shortness of breath. He carried on until June but then unable to participate in the front line, he was attached to the YMCA. Heeventually returned to Canada in late July of 1919. He was listed as with the Manitoba Regimental Depot, 2nd Canadian Command Depot. He obtained a BA, MA, and PhD at the University of Toronto, and graduated from Bishop’s University in Lennoxville, Quebec in 1924. He was found on many passenger lists, with travel to England and Burma and return voyages to Canada. According to his obituary, he served as an Anglican missionary to Burma from 1927 until 1935, and taught for some time in Holy Cross college in Rangoon. In 1945 and 1946 he was an instructor in Old Testament and Hebrew at Nashotah House in Wisconsin. From 1947 to 1950 Claude was chaplain at St John’s Military school in Salina, Kansas. From there Claude was rector of Grace Episcopal church in Ottawa, Kansas until 1953 when he moved to Sewanee, Nashville.

Claude published two works, The Settlement of Israel in Canaan in the Light of Some Contemporary Anthropological Studies and The Holy man in Israel; a Study in the Development of Prophecy. Connie Sharkey, in a book she wrote entitled He Gives Us Hope, spoke of Claude as a ‘delightful man with a wealth of fascinating stories’.

Predeceased by his mother Ellen in 1938, his father John in 1944, and his brother John in 1945, all in Kenora, Reverend Doctor Claude Sauerbrei died in Vanderbilt Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee on 14 May 1959. At the time of his death he was a professor in the Faculty of Divinity at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. His Veteran Death Card listed his brother Mark Sauerbrei of Port Arthur, Ontario as his next of kin. Claude is interred in the University of the South Cemetery in Sewanee.

Claude is commemorated on the St. Alban’s Pro-Cathedral First World War Roll of Honour.
Source: https://www.kenoragreatwarproject.ca/canadian-infantry/sauerbrei-claude/

H. Greville Smith

  • Person
  • 1902-1974

Harold Greville Smith was born in Sheffield on 25th January 1902 and attended the King Edward VII School there. In 1924 Smith went to work for ICI at Billingham, where he was mainly concerned with the methanol plant. In 1929 he was posted to the New York office of ICI.Smith moved to Montreal in 1932 as Manager of the Chemicals Development Department of Canadian Industries Ltd (CIL). On the outbreak of war he was named Vice-President and, a little later, General Manager of Defence Industries Ltd (DIL), a wartime government-owned subsidiary of CIL. For his prodigious managerial skills directly affecting the wartime effort, Smith was made a CBE in 1944. Throughout the war he had also been a Director of the
parent CIL, and he remained on the Board until 1958. He was President of the Company 1951-58. In his 1ast year at CIL he was also President of the Society of Chemical Industry. He served as Director of a score of companies, Governor of Bishop's University, Governor of McGill University, and President of the Royal Victoria Hospital Montreal. A bachelor, whose principal private interests were fishing and his collection of Canadian paintings, his life was by all accounts dedicated to hard work. He died in Montreal after a short illness on 19 February 1974. His estate was valued at over $4,000,000; the main beneficiaries were Balliol College, McGill University, The Royal Victoria Hospital Montreal, Bishop's University and Queen's University (Kingston, Ontario).

Edgar William and Edgar Nelson Smith

Edgar William Smith received a B.A. from Bishop's University in 1919. Edgar Nelson Smith also received a B.A. from Bishop's in 1955.

Edgar William Smith

  • Family

Edgar William Smith received a B.A. from Bishop's University in 1919. Edgar Nelson Smith also received a B.A. from Bishop's in 1955.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family
  • 1805-1909

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family
  • 1805-1909

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Eardley-Wilmot, Barbara Rose

  • Person
  • 1915-2002

Barbara Rose Eardley-Wilmot was born June 30, 1915 to parents Rev. Canon Charles Revell Eardley-Wilmot and Rose Meredyth Bowen. She married John “Jack” Franklin Carr August 1, 1942, but he died October 26, 1942 on active duty with the Royal Canadian Air Force in World War II. During the war, Barbara served as a nursing sister. She remarried Geoffrey Constable on October 11, 1947 and together they had four children: Catherine Judith (b. 1950), Janet Meredyth (b. 1953), Susan Emily (b. 1956), and Peter Geoffrey (b. 1960). She died in 2002.

McIver, Lewis (family)

  • Family
  • 19th cent.-1925

Lewis McIver, son of Colin and Anne McIver, was born in Scotland around 1815. He immigrated to Canada and settled in Bury as a trader. He married Sarah Pope in Lingwick on 3 November 1852 and among their children were: Alexandrina Anne (b. 1853), Lilly Evandrina (b. 1855), and Alexander Lewis (b. 1856).

Alexander Lewis McIver (sometimes also written as MacIver), who also worked as a trader in Bury, married Selina K. Fauquier(?) and together they had three children: Eric (b. 1894), Nina (b. 1897), and Joan (b. 1901). It appears that Alexander Lewis moved to Ontario in 1915. Eric McIver served in World War I as an observer and pilot for the 7th Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He died in Oakville, Ontario on 29 October 1925, where he was working for the Tonopah Mining Company, following a sudden and brief illness.

Mason, Edward (family)

  • Family
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Edward Mason, son of James Mason and Mary Armstrong, was born in Rawdon in 1829. He married Mary Ellen Copping in Rawdon in 1861. Together they had ten children: James Charles (b. 1862), Mary Ellen (be. 1864), Eliza Jane (b. 1865), George William (b. 1867), Annie Mariah (b. 1869), Sarah Alice (b. 1873), Charlotte Edith (b. 1877), Edward Armstrong (b. 1878), Thomas Albert (b. 1880), and Ethel Maude (b. 1882). Annie Mariah Mason married John Richard Copping. Mary Ellen Mason married Richard F. Boyce. Sarah Alice Mason married John Alex. Copping.

Copping, George (family)

  • Family
  • 18th cent.-20th cent.

(Generation 1) George Copping (1870-1949), born in Hatfield, Essex County, England, married Elizabeth Saggers (1782-1852), born in Chigwell, Essex County, England, in 1806 in London, England. The couple, along with their children immigrated to Quebec in 1811 and eventually settled in Rawdon by 1823. Among their eleven children were: George William (1807-1879), Henry (1818-1894), and William George (1808-1889).

(Generation 2) George W. Copping, son of George Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, married Mary Grey in Rawdon in 1830. Together they had ten children: John (b. 1831), Thomas (b. 1833), George (b. 1835), Elizabeth (b. 1837), Margaret (b. 1839), Mary E. (b. 1841), Ann (b. 1844), Charles (b. 1846), Sarah (b. 1848), and Jane (1851).

(Generation 3) John Copping, son of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Nancy Marlin in 1855 in Rawdon. Together they had three children: James Henry (b. 1857), Mary Jane, and John Alexander (b. 1868). John A. married Sarah Alice Mason in 1896 in Rawdon. The couple settled in Sand Hill after a short time in Comtpon until they moved to Lennoxville in 1945. They did not have any children. John died at the Sherbrooke Hospital in 1949. Alice died in 1960.

(Generation 3) Mary Ellen Copping, daughter of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Edward Mason in Rawdon in 1861. Together they had ten children: James Charles (b. 1862), Mary Ellen (b. 1864), Eliza Jane (b. 1865), George William (b. 1867), Annie Mariah (b. 1869), Sarah Alice (b. 1873), Charlotte Edith (b. 1877), Edward Armstrong (b. 1878), Thomas Albert (b. 1880), and Ethel Maude (b. 1882). Annie Mariah Mason married John Richard Copping. Mary Ellen Mason married Richard F. Boyce. Sarah Alice Mason married John Alex. Copping.

(Generation 3) Sarah Copping, daughter of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Samuel Dixon. She died in Cobden, Ontario in 1909.

(Generation 2) William G. Copping, son of Henry Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, married Margaret Gray in Rawdon in 1833. Together they had twelve children: Henry (b. 1834), William (1835-1836), George (b. 1838), Elizabeth (b. 1840), James (b. 1842), Thomas (b. 1844), William (b. 1845), John (b. 1847), Joseph (b. 1849), Charles (b. 1851), David (b. 1852), and Samuel (b. 1856). William died in 1889 in Rawdon. Among his children, George married Elizabeth Copping (daugther of Henry Copping and Jane Cook).

(Generation 2) Henry Copping, son of Henry Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, first married Jane Cook (ca. 1817-1846) in 1841 in Rawdon. Together they had three children: Mary (b. 1842), Elizabeth (b. 1844), and Jane (b. 1846). He married second Frances “Fannie” Harkness (1827-1872) in 1847 in Rawdon. Together they had eleven children: George (b. 1848), Ellen Maria (b. 1849), Jane L. (b. 1851), Sarah Ann (b. 1853), Henry (b. 1856), William Thomas (b. 1858), Margaret Frances (b. 1860), James Charles (b. 1862), John Richard (b. 1864), Clara Emiline (b. 1866), and Reuben (b. 1868). Henry Copping married third Mary Sinclair (ca. 1833-1887).

(Generation 3) Elizabeth Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Jane Cook, married George Copping (son of Wiliam George Copping and Margaret Gray) in Montreal in 1870. Together they had six children: Helena, Clara Maude, Wiliam Henry Grey, Mary Alice, Melvin Francis, and Charles Clayton.

(Generation 3) Jane L. Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married John Johnston in Montreal 1874. Together they had five children: Violet, Victor, Augustus “Gus” Hyatt, Laura Sinclair, and John Walter.

(Generation 3) Sarah Ann “Lail” Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married James Barrow in Montreal in 1880. Together they had seven children: Lester, Hartley, Eleanor, Garnet, Grace, Hazel, and Douglas.

(Generation 3) John “Jack” Richard Copping, son of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married Annie Mariah Mason in Montreal in 1893. Together they had one child: Vivian Iris.

(Generation 3) Reuben Copping, son of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married Eliza Jane Mason in Montreal in 1894. Together they had three children: Laurence Edward, Reginald Lloyd, and Ruby Isabel. Reuben worked for a time in Montreal for Christie, Brown & Company, followed by the purchase of a farm in Sand Hill. He died in Sand Hill in 1929.

Nicholson, Christan (1948--)

  • 2004_007
  • Person
  • 1948-

Mr. Christan Nicholson is a portrait artist who was born in 1948 in New Brunswick, Canada. He graduated from Mount Allison University with a B.F.A. with Distinction in 1973. His first official commission was the portrait of Chancellor J. V. Clyne for the University of British Columbia. He is known for his Canadian Author series--portraits for 32 well known Canadian Authors such as Hugh MacLennan and Margaret Atwood. He lives and continues to paint in Ottawa Ontario.

Coburn, Frederick Simpson (1871-1960)

  • 1993_090
  • Person
  • 1871-1960

Frederick S. Coburn was born in Upper Melbourne, Québec in 1871. He studied art in Montréal, New York, Berlin , London and Antwerp. He was an extremely accomplished artist but perhaps was best know for his winter landscapes with horses. A.R.C.A. 1920, R.C.A. 1927. He died in his Melbourne studio in 1960.

Simon, Peter James (1950- )

  • 1994_003
  • Person
  • 1950-

James Simon was born in Montréal in 1950. He has been painting official portraits and portrait art since 1984.
Source: James Simon 2011 www.jamessimon.com

Simon, Peter James (1950-)

  • 1996_009
  • Person
  • 1950-

James Simon was born in Montréal in 1950. He has been painting official portraits and portrait art since 1984.
Source: James Simon 2011 www.jamessimon.com

Fraser, Juliette May (1887-1983)

  • 1996_008
  • Person
  • 1887- 1983

Honolulu-born artist Juliette May Fraser is perhaps best known for the murals she painted around the world. She also portrayed Hawaiian legends and other themes through linoleum cut, oil painting, ceramic, and fresco.

Juliette May Fraser was born on January 27, 1887 in Honolulu. After graduating from Wellesley College in Massachusetts, she worked as an educator, like her mother and father who had come to the islands to teach. "That was practically the only thing a woman could do then," she told an interviewer a few years before her death in 1983. But her heart since childhood had been captured by art, so she saved her salary to study at the Art Students League in New York.
Fraser is also noted for her print-works, and was associated with Honolulu Print-makers, which is said to be the oldest continuously active printmaking organization in the United States. The group was founded in 1928 by a group of local artists in an effort to encourage the art of printmaking in Hawaii. Each year, one of the organization's members is selected to create a special print. Along with Juliette May Fraser, some of the print-makers of yesteryear - John Melville Kelly, Huc-Mazelet Luquiens, Cornelia Macintyre Foley, Isami Doi, Madge Tennant, Jean Charlot, John Young and others - became world-renowned artists, their prints now demanding much higher sums than the original $5 price.

Juliette May Fraser died in July of 1983 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Source: Excerpted from The Annex Galleries https://www.annexgalleries.com/artists/biography/740/Fraser/Juliette

Kelly, John Melville (1877-1962)

  • 1996_007
  • Person
  • 1877-1962

John Melville Kelly was born in Oakland, California on November 2, 1877. Raised on a ranch outside of Phoenix, Arizona, Kelly decided to return to the Bay Area as a young adult to pursue an education in art and design. He studied at the Mark Hopkins Institute of Art and the Partington Art School, and with artist Eric Spencer Mackey. Kelly's work as a freelance artist came on the heels of a fourteen year career as an illustrator and graphic designer for the San Francisco Examiner. In 1923 developer Charles Frazier offered Kelly an opportunity to illustrate Frazier's Lanikai building plans. It was meant to last a year, but Kelly and his wife, sculptor Kate Kelly, ended up staying there after falling in love with the landscape and people of the islands.

It was Kate's pursuit of printmaking, under the tutelage of Huc-Mazelet Luquiens, that sparked John's own interest in the decidedly different artistic medium. John began pursuing etching with great interest, eventually working almost exclusively in dry-point and then aquatint. His work shows his fascination with the subtlety allowed in the aquatint technique, his experiment with the manipulation of color directly on the plate producing a tonal effect not achieved with etching. His subject matter was nearly entirely images of the people and surroundings he'd grown to love. John Kelly was the author and illustrator of "Etchings and Drawings of Hawaiians" published in 1943 and also "The Hula as Seen in Hawaii" published in 1955.
The Hawaii State Art Museum, the Honolulu Academy of Arts, and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art (Kansas City, Missouri), Saint Joseph College Art Gallery (West Hartford, Connecticut) and the San Diego Museum of Art (San Diego, California) are among the public collections holding his work. John Melville Kelly died in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA in on September 9, 1962.
Source: The Annex Galleries https://www.annexgalleries.com/artists/biography/1222/Kelly/John

Bartlett, Charles William (1860-1940)

  • Person
  • 1860-1940

Charles Bartlett was born in England in 1860. He began his education with the intention of becoming a chemist, but switched to fine art, enrolling at the Academy of Art in London at the age of twenty-three. From there he went to Paris to further his studies at the Academie Julian. After he lost his wife and infant son in childbirth, the artist spent a year traveling in Europe with fellow artist Frank Brangwyn. It was at this time that his work maintained a focus on the daily lives of peasant women and children, and began to hone his watercolor and drawing techniques. It wouldn't be until much later that Bartlett, now returned to England and remarried, would discover his love of printmaking and the landscape subject matter he would become known for.
In 1913 he and his wife traveled to Ceylon, Indonesia, and China to sketch and paint. 1915 hailed their arrival in Japan, where they met Austrian artist Fritz Capelari who introduced them to publisher Watanabe Shozaburo. Watanabe and Bartlett began a long collaboration in which Watanabe would turn the watercolor landscapes of Bartlett's into color woodcuts; soon, Bartlett himself would use Watanabe's studio to carve and create his own woodblocks.
In 1917, the Bartlett's traveled to Hawaii, intending to make a short visit. However, they fell in love with the landscape and community where they were visiting, and soon established their lives and Charles' career there. He became a co-founder of the Honolulu Print-makers and a prominent member of Hawaii's artistic community until his death in 1940 at the age of eighty.
Sources include: Peter Falk, Who Was Who in American Art David Forbes, Encounters With Paradise. Sources: Sarah Nelson, Douglas Frazer Fine Art www.askart.com
Source: Annex Galleries https://www.annexgalleries.com/artists/biography/129/Bartlett/Charles

Results 31 to 60 of 1508