Affichage de 67 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Famille

Scott Family

  • Famille

.Hiram Scott and his son, Levi mentioned in the following documents, are descendants of Daniel Scott (1751-1829) the Loyalist, who moved around 1803 into Dunham Township and settled in the area known as Scottsmore. Daniel had served under Col. Peters in Major Jessup's Corps. After the end of the war in 1784 he was living in the Loyalist refugee camp in Sorel, and later, on Caldwell's Manor until 1803 where most of his children, four sons and a daughter were born. The four sons were Capt. Lemuel, Daniel, Jonathan, Pliny and the daughter was Abigail. This family married with other families that had moved into the Sweetsburgh area, the Shufelts, Churches, Pettes, Vails, Hastings, Pickel and others.

Hiram, son of Capt. Lemuel, married Katherine Shufelt and their home, as thedeeds indicate, was in West Brome on McCutcheon Road, and they built the brick house on that property. This was, in more recent years, the home of Robert and Mary (Taber) McCutcheon.

As the deeds show, Levi Scott, son of Hiram, sold the farm to David Beattie in 1880. It came into McCutcheon possession later because David's daughter, Sarah Ann Beattie, married William McCutcheon.

Luther Scott, mentioned in the 1882 deed was a brother of Levi's and so the above home was where he was brought up also. He is said to have married Emily Armington of Dunham in that house.

Ira Scott mentioned in 1874 was a son of Jonathan and Susannah (Pickel) Scott, and so was a cousin of Hiram Scott. A sister of Ira's, Elmira married David Aitken of East Dunham whose descendant by the same name (Dave Aitken) has lived near Call's Mills in West Brome in recent years.

The 1866 deed should be an interesting one to members of the Beattie family of East Dunham which shows, in acquiring some of their land, they had to deal with the descendants of the Hon. Thomas Dunn, to whom the Township of Dunham was granted in 1796.

Hackett (family)

  • Famille

Michael Felix Hackett B.C.L. est né dans un foyer catholique irlandais le 23 août 1851. Ses parents sont Patrick Hackett ([18-?]-1869), d’Irlande, et Mary Griffin ([18-?]-), de Granby, au Québec. Son père, premier maire de Granby, au Québec, meurt lors de l’effondrement d’un pont en avril 1869. Michael Felix Hackett étudie dans la région au Granby Academy College, ainsi qu’au College of Sainte-Marie-de-Monnoir et au College of Saint-Hyacinthe. Il étudie le droit à McGill University et, le 17 juin 1874, il est admis au barreau provincial du Québec. En 1883, M.F. Hackett épouse Florence Alberta Knight ([1859]-1913), fille d’Albert Knight (1817-[1870]), député, et de Julia Ann Rose (-). Ils auront cinq enfants : Sybil Rose (1886-1954), Florence Julia (1891-1912), Mary Griffin (1896-1980), John Thomas (1884-1956) et Felix Winfield (1890-). M.F. Hackett pratique le droit dans la région de Stanstead, est maire de Stanstead Plain (1890-1904) et préfet du comté (1891-1897). Il est juge de la Cour supérieure du Québec et politicien, élu à la législature du Québec en 1892. Il occupe le poste de Secrétaire provincial jusqu’à sa retraite. Il se présente aussi aux élections fédérales (1900 et 1904), mais il n’est pas élu. Il est directeur et vice-président de la Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance (1835-[19-?]). En outre, M.F. Hackett est président du Stanstead County Farmers’ Institute, de la Saint-Joseph Society, du Parti libéral-conservateur des Cantons-de-l’Est (Québec) et des conseils scolaires. Il est aussi membre du Board of Examiners for School Teachers of Eastern Townships, capitaine dans la milice, Bâtonnier du barreau de Saint-François (1892-93) et (1900-1901) et président de la Catholic Mutal Benefit Association of Canada (1895-1916).

John Thomas Hackett B.L., B.C.L. est le fils de Michael Felix Hackett et de Florence Alberta Knight. Né à Stanstead, au Québec, le 12 juin 1884, il étudie au St. Charles Seminary, au Loyal College, à Laval, et il est diplômé de la McGill’s Law School. Il y fonde le conseil étudiant de McGill (1909). Il est résidant de Montréal et de Stanstead, au Québec. Il épouse Linda Harding (-) en 1912, qui lui donne Florence Knight (1913), Ann Kidder (1914), Linda Mary (1916-1917), John David (-), Julia Alice (-) et Ruth Rose. Après avoir pratiqué le droit, John Thomas Hackett sera député fédéral conservateur (1930-1935, 1945-1949) et sénateur (1955-1956). Au cours de sa vie, il a été membre du conseil des gouverneurs de McGill University, membre du conseil exécutif de la Charity Organization Society, de la Catholic Social Service Guild et du Loyal Convalescent Home. Il a aussi été président de la Jr. Bar Assiciation (1919), bâtonnier de l’Association du barreau de Montréal (1945-1946) et de l’Association du Barreau canadien (1947). Comme son père, John Thomas a été engagé dans la vie militaire comme lieutenant du 55e régiment des Irish Canadian Rangers. Il a aussi été président de la Stanstead County Historical Society (1936-1956).

Linda Harding Hackett est née 14 janvier 1884 à Derby Line, au Vermont. Elle est la fille de Dudley William Davis et de Annie Kidder Harding Davis. Elle détient un baccalauréat ès arts de Boston University. Elle étudie les Cantons-de-l’Est et publie en 1941 une compilation intitulée Eleanzer Fitch: The First Leader of Stanstead Township. Linda est morte 18 julliet 1965.

Allsopp-McCorkill

  • Famille

The journals are mostly those of the sons and grandsons of George Allsopp, secretary to Sir Guy Carleton 1768-1775. In the correspondence there are some letters written by George Allsopp. The collection seems to be mostly connected with his son Carleton Allsopp's family and preserved by Carleton's son, John Charles Allsopp who married into the McCorkill family at Farnham.

Famille Ward (Thetford, Qué)

  • Famille

Robert G. Ward fils (1837-1907) est né à Saint-Jean-de-Brébeuf (appelé « Lower Ireland » avant 1930) dans le comté de Mégantic. Fils du révérend Robert G. Ward et de Marianne Turriff, il se marie avec Annie M. Cairns, fille de Hamby Cairns et Susan Meagher, née en 1861 et décédée en 1936. Ensemble, ils ont neuf enfants : Robert Grant, dit Bob (1883-?), Hamby Ward (1884-?), Alexander Harry (1885-1964), John Albert (1888-1942), Charles Edgar (1890-1891), James Turriff (1892-?), Annie Maria (1893-1893), Peter Douglas (1895-1977?) et Albion Tudor (1898-1962). En 1876, on trouve de l’amiante dans l’un des champs sur les terres de Robert G. Ward fils, ce qui l’amène à s’intéresser à l’exploitation minière. Il achète ensuite des droits miniers dans le canton de Thetford et ainsi s’amorcent les activités minières de la famille Ward.

Albion T. Ward, mineur, a eu deux femmes : Nita Hammerick/Hammerich, avec qui il se marie en 1925 mais dont il divorce en 1944, et Doris Christine Peterson (1913-1986). Robert Grant Ward, troisième du nom, part à l’ouest pour travailler dans une mine d’or dans sa jeunesse, mais déjà en 1903, il s’était tourné vers une carrière de boxeur amateur à San Francisco. Ses exploits lui valent le titre de champion poids lourd amateur des États-Unis et plus tard, de champion poids lourd professionnel du Commonwealth. Il reviendra plus tard au Québec pour se lancer dans l’exploitation minière. Alexander Henry Ward, dit Harry, se marie avec Agnes Gertrude Moore (née en 1899), fille de William Moore et Sarah Elizabeth Robinson. Ensemble, ils ont sept enfants : Dorothy, dite Dolly (née en 1917), Kathleen (née en 1919), Evelyn (née en 1919), Agnes (1921-1921), Robert (1923-1923), Marjorie (née en 1924) et Lois (née en 1928). Lois T. Ward se marie avec Wilfred Alan Greatrex en Ontario, en 1950.

Elvyn M. Baldwin (family)

  • Famille

The family of Levi Baldwin immigrated to Canada from Connecticut, USA, in 1799. They settled in Barnston Township where he was a farmer. Levi Baldwin (d. 1843) was first married to Experience Goff (d. 1815) and, second, to Abigail Mills (d. 1830). The children by his first marriage were: Huldah, Lotes, Richard, Deborah and Patience. The children by his second marriage were: Elizabeth, John Percival and Huldah. John Percival Baldwin married Jeanette Baker and they settled near the outlet of Lake Lyster. He became a very successful businessman, having established a sawmill on the Lake. John's youngest son was Willis Keith (W. K.) Baldwin, who married Lill Ferrin from Holland, Vermont. In his lifetime, W. K. was well-regarded and successful in business as wells as politics. While many of the descendants of W. K. and Lill have left, a number still remain in Baldwin's Mills and in the Townships.

The family of Hezikiah May (1775-1857) immigrated to Canada from Vermont, USA, in 1806. The settled in Stanstead Township where he was a farmer. Hezikiah was married to Sarah (Sally) Hayes (1784-1871) and they had eleven children together: Electa, Sylvester, Hannah, Willard, Lyman, Lorenzo, Ruby, Louisa, James, Mary Ann and Maria. Sylvester May moved from Stanstead Township to Barnston Township, near Lake Lyster. Sylvester's oldest son, Darius, also a farmer, married Emma Stevens. One of their daughters, Ruth, married Harold Baldwin, which is how the Baldwins and Mays are related.
.

Jenks (family)

  • Famille

Leslie Hall Jenks, son of Nathaniel Jenks and Lucy Thornton, was born in Barnston on 28 December 1849. He was a dentist in Coaticook and had a practice at the corner of Pleasant and Cutting Streets. Leslie married Nancy Cushing on 30 October 1879. Together they had four children: Charles Nathaniel (1882-1888), Cushing (1885-1885), Archibald Nathaniel (1889-1938) and Abbott Cushing (1893-1957). Leslie died 5 October 1910 and is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery in Coaticook.

John Nathaniel Jenks, son of Nathaniel Jenks and Lucy Thornton, was born in Barnston on 18 July 1848. He studied at Darmouth College and eventually became the principal of the Barnston Academy and also worked as a border agent. He married Kate Cole on 23 September 1902. Together they had one child: John (a.k.a. Donald) Leslie Jenks (1909-1973). John died on 5 December 1937.

Edgar William Smith

  • Famille

Edgar William Smith received a B.A. from Bishop's University in 1919. Edgar Nelson Smith also received a B.A. from Bishop's in 1955.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Famille
  • 1805-1909

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Famille

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Famille
  • 1805-1909

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

McIver, Lewis (family)

  • Famille
  • 19th cent.-1925

Lewis McIver, son of Colin and Anne McIver, was born in Scotland around 1815. He immigrated to Canada and settled in Bury as a trader. He married Sarah Pope in Lingwick on 3 November 1852 and among their children were: Alexandrina Anne (b. 1853), Lilly Evandrina (b. 1855), and Alexander Lewis (b. 1856).

Alexander Lewis McIver (sometimes also written as MacIver), who also worked as a trader in Bury, married Selina K. Fauquier(?) and together they had three children: Eric (b. 1894), Nina (b. 1897), and Joan (b. 1901). It appears that Alexander Lewis moved to Ontario in 1915. Eric McIver served in World War I as an observer and pilot for the 7th Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He died in Oakville, Ontario on 29 October 1925, where he was working for the Tonopah Mining Company, following a sudden and brief illness.

Mason, Edward (family)

  • Famille
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Edward Mason, son of James Mason and Mary Armstrong, was born in Rawdon in 1829. He married Mary Ellen Copping in Rawdon in 1861. Together they had ten children: James Charles (b. 1862), Mary Ellen (be. 1864), Eliza Jane (b. 1865), George William (b. 1867), Annie Mariah (b. 1869), Sarah Alice (b. 1873), Charlotte Edith (b. 1877), Edward Armstrong (b. 1878), Thomas Albert (b. 1880), and Ethel Maude (b. 1882). Annie Mariah Mason married John Richard Copping. Mary Ellen Mason married Richard F. Boyce. Sarah Alice Mason married John Alex. Copping.

Copping, George (family)

  • Famille
  • 18th cent.-20th cent.

(Generation 1) George Copping (1870-1949), born in Hatfield, Essex County, England, married Elizabeth Saggers (1782-1852), born in Chigwell, Essex County, England, in 1806 in London, England. The couple, along with their children immigrated to Quebec in 1811 and eventually settled in Rawdon by 1823. Among their eleven children were: George William (1807-1879), Henry (1818-1894), and William George (1808-1889).

(Generation 2) George W. Copping, son of George Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, married Mary Grey in Rawdon in 1830. Together they had ten children: John (b. 1831), Thomas (b. 1833), George (b. 1835), Elizabeth (b. 1837), Margaret (b. 1839), Mary E. (b. 1841), Ann (b. 1844), Charles (b. 1846), Sarah (b. 1848), and Jane (1851).

(Generation 3) John Copping, son of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Nancy Marlin in 1855 in Rawdon. Together they had three children: James Henry (b. 1857), Mary Jane, and John Alexander (b. 1868). John A. married Sarah Alice Mason in 1896 in Rawdon. The couple settled in Sand Hill after a short time in Comtpon until they moved to Lennoxville in 1945. They did not have any children. John died at the Sherbrooke Hospital in 1949. Alice died in 1960.

(Generation 3) Mary Ellen Copping, daughter of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Edward Mason in Rawdon in 1861. Together they had ten children: James Charles (b. 1862), Mary Ellen (b. 1864), Eliza Jane (b. 1865), George William (b. 1867), Annie Mariah (b. 1869), Sarah Alice (b. 1873), Charlotte Edith (b. 1877), Edward Armstrong (b. 1878), Thomas Albert (b. 1880), and Ethel Maude (b. 1882). Annie Mariah Mason married John Richard Copping. Mary Ellen Mason married Richard F. Boyce. Sarah Alice Mason married John Alex. Copping.

(Generation 3) Sarah Copping, daughter of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Samuel Dixon. She died in Cobden, Ontario in 1909.

(Generation 2) William G. Copping, son of Henry Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, married Margaret Gray in Rawdon in 1833. Together they had twelve children: Henry (b. 1834), William (1835-1836), George (b. 1838), Elizabeth (b. 1840), James (b. 1842), Thomas (b. 1844), William (b. 1845), John (b. 1847), Joseph (b. 1849), Charles (b. 1851), David (b. 1852), and Samuel (b. 1856). William died in 1889 in Rawdon. Among his children, George married Elizabeth Copping (daugther of Henry Copping and Jane Cook).

(Generation 2) Henry Copping, son of Henry Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, first married Jane Cook (ca. 1817-1846) in 1841 in Rawdon. Together they had three children: Mary (b. 1842), Elizabeth (b. 1844), and Jane (b. 1846). He married second Frances “Fannie” Harkness (1827-1872) in 1847 in Rawdon. Together they had eleven children: George (b. 1848), Ellen Maria (b. 1849), Jane L. (b. 1851), Sarah Ann (b. 1853), Henry (b. 1856), William Thomas (b. 1858), Margaret Frances (b. 1860), James Charles (b. 1862), John Richard (b. 1864), Clara Emiline (b. 1866), and Reuben (b. 1868). Henry Copping married third Mary Sinclair (ca. 1833-1887).

(Generation 3) Elizabeth Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Jane Cook, married George Copping (son of Wiliam George Copping and Margaret Gray) in Montreal in 1870. Together they had six children: Helena, Clara Maude, Wiliam Henry Grey, Mary Alice, Melvin Francis, and Charles Clayton.

(Generation 3) Jane L. Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married John Johnston in Montreal 1874. Together they had five children: Violet, Victor, Augustus “Gus” Hyatt, Laura Sinclair, and John Walter.

(Generation 3) Sarah Ann “Lail” Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married James Barrow in Montreal in 1880. Together they had seven children: Lester, Hartley, Eleanor, Garnet, Grace, Hazel, and Douglas.

(Generation 3) John “Jack” Richard Copping, son of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married Annie Mariah Mason in Montreal in 1893. Together they had one child: Vivian Iris.

(Generation 3) Reuben Copping, son of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married Eliza Jane Mason in Montreal in 1894. Together they had three children: Laurence Edward, Reginald Lloyd, and Ruby Isabel. Reuben worked for a time in Montreal for Christie, Brown & Company, followed by the purchase of a farm in Sand Hill. He died in Sand Hill in 1929.

Gallop, John

  • Canada
  • Famille

John W. Gallop graduated from Bishop's University in 1957, and married Nancy (Willis) Gallop who also graduated from Bishop's in 1958.

Boyce, Richard F.

  • Famille
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Richard Francis Boyce, son of William and Melinda Boyce, was born in 1861 in Rawdon. He married Mary Ellen Mason (1864-1948) in Rawdon in 1884. Together they had six children: Cornelia E. (b. 1884), Bertha L. (b. 1886), Oscar R. (b. 1888), Mary Mina. (b. 1891), Maude F. (b.1894), and Hazel Geraldine (b. 1902). Around 1904, Richard and Mary Ellen moved from Rawdon to Milby and purchased a farm there. Richard died in 1926 and Mary Ellen died in 1948.

Cornelia Boyce marred Edgar A. Orr. The couple owned a farm in Milby. Bertha Boyce married Olie Parker and moved to Sherbrooke. Oscar Boyce married Jennie Sophia McVety. Mary “Minne” Boyce married Silas McVety and moved to Sherbrooke. Maude Boyce married Leonard Graham and moved to Westmount. Hazel Boyce married David Tatley and moved to Belleville, Ontario.

Hunting (family)

  • Famille

Seth et William Hunting, les fondateurs de Huntingville et participants actifs à l’établissement de l’Église universaliste dans ce village, sont les premiers Hunting à s’établir dans les Cantons-de-l’Est. Nés à Hubbardston, au Massachusetts, William et Seth Hunting comptent parmi les quatre enfants de William Hunting et de Lydia Wheelock. William Hunting (1784-1832), leur fils aîné, et Mary (Polly) Stone (1782-1853) se marient en 1809 et déménagent par la suite à Templeton, au Massachusetts, d’où vient la famille de Mary. Mary est la fille aînée de Catharine Wyman et Leonard Stone, second époux de Catharine. Auparavant, Catharine a épousé en premières noces Aaron Kendall, qui meurt après dix ans de mariage, en 1881. De son premier mariage, la mère de Mary (Polly) Stone avait déjà trois enfants. Les liens familiaux du côté des Stone sont significatifs dans la famille Hunting car celle-ci reçoit une abondante correspondance de ces parents des États-Unis. Après la naissance de deux filles en 1809 et 1811, William et Mary Polly Hunting déménagent dans le canton d’Ascot, dans la province du Bas-Canada, en 1812. Même si la raison de ce déménagement n’est pas certaine, il est probable qu’ils y ont été attirés par des parents de Mary Stone qui étaient déjà partis s’installer vers le nord.

En 1815, Seth Hunting (1788-1872) emmène sa nouvelle épouse, Nancy Davis, dans les Cantons-de-l’Est et achète du terrain le long de la rivière Salmon, devenue rivière Ascot, ce qui sera le futur site de Huntingville. À ce moment, William et sa famille déménagent quittent Ascot pour venir rejoindre Seth là où il avait choisi de s’établir. Seth et Nancy Hunting ont six enfants : Stephen (1815-1841), Susan (1816-1886), Henry W. (1830-1896), William Seth (1865-1950), Fredrick A. (1867-1868 et Charles P. (1864-1931). Bien que la terre où les moulins seront éventuellement situés appartienne à Seth, il semble que celui-ci soit plus agriculteur que meunier et que ce serait William qui aurait construit les moulins.

William Hunting et Mary (Polly) Stone ont six enfants : Betsey (1809-1832), Catharine (1811-1838), William (1815-1892), Leonard (1820-1842), Lyman E. (1821-1850) et Ephraim, mort en très bas âge. William Hunting construit et exploite le premier barrage sur la rivière et construit par la suite un moulin à blé et un moulin à bois sur ses rives. Il exploite aussi un autre moulin sur la rivière Eaton. À son décès, en 1832, son fils aîné, William, reprend les moulins bien qu’il n’ait que 17 ans. En 1838, les jeunes frères de William, Leonard et Lyman, travaillent aux moulins. Dans les années 1840, Lyman a quitté les moulins pour travailler au Fuller General Store à Lennoxville, en raison de sa santé fragile due à une maladie pulmonaire, et vit à certaines périodes aux États-Unis. Les descendants de William Hunting fils ont exploité le moulin à bois et le moulin à blé jusqu’à 1960, alors qu’un incendie a détruit les deux édifices. En 1961, une usine de rabotage a été construite et exploitée par Hunting, avant d’être fermée définitivement, mais l’édifice est toujours là, au bord de la rivière Ascot, à Huntingville.

Dumoulin (family)

  • Famille
  • 1901-

Pierre Dumoulin was born Coaticook on 17 May 1902 to Samuel Dumoulin and Cyrilda Paquette. Amarilda Larivière was born on 21 August 1901 to Dolor Larivière and Élise Bouvier. The couple married in Rock Island on 30 August 1920 and together they had the following children: Gertrude (1921-1992), Thérèse (b. 1923), Léonard (1924), Normand (1926), Madeleine (1927-2011), André (192-2011), Paul (1929-2010), Guy (1930), François (1932), Marcel (1934), Jacques (1935), Jean-Maurice (1936-2013), Rosaire (1937-2013), Charles-Auguste (1939), Jules (1940), Jean-Claude (1943), Luc (1945), and Vincent (1947-1966).
Jean-Maurice Dumoulin was born in Coaticook on 4 July 1936 to Pierre Dumoulin and Amarilda Larivière. As a young boy, he felt called by God to join the seminary. This decision was short-lived, however, and soon after he withdrew from the seminary and joined the choir instead. At the age of 14, he began his first job at Penman’s, and from the ages of 15 to 20 he worked in the evening at Coaticook Textile and on the weekends at Daigle & Frères, returning all his earnings to his mother. As an adult, Jean-Maurice left Coaticook for Montreal and eventually obtained a degree as a psycho-educator and worked for 20 years in Sherbrooke with mentally handicapped children. He married and had two children: Sarah and Nadia. He retired from teaching after 20 years and purchased a farm in Kingscroft. Following the dissolution of his marriage, Jean-Maurice sold the farm and worked as the custodian at the convent of La Présentation. During his lifetime, Jean-Maurice was involved in a variety of volunteer and community groups. He died on 7 February 2013 in Sherbrooke.

Rue principales. City of Coaticook

  • Famille
  • 1992-

The organization Rues principales Coaticook was established in Coaticook around 1992 with the mission to support the regional service network and to assure the commercial leadership in Coaticook’s downtown as part of a broader initiative to revitalise Coaticook’s commercial sector. Among the activities pursued and/or supported by Rues principales in the early years were special publicity campaigns (particularly for holidays). Their mission has evolved over time and presently is to offer training to merchants, to organize interactive activities, and joint promotions. It collaborates on the commercial diversification of Coaticook’s downtown by supporting developers and also takes an interest in projects that encourage development, sustainability, and vitality in a diversified commercial sector. In 2009, Rue principales Coaticook received its first 4 As certification from the Fondation Rues principales, which was renewed in 2012 at the same time as receiving a “silver” designation.

Famille Drolet-Fortin

  • Famille

Napoléon Drolet est né en 1842 et épousera Adéline Rochette à Québec en 1864. Ils s'installent à Compton où leur 12 enfants naissent : Thomas, Eugénie, Oliva, Émile, Marie-Alma, Victor, Blanche, Adélina, Marie-Louise, Léon C., Ernest et Léontine. En 1909, la famille déménage à Coaticook. Ernest étudie à l'Université de Montréal et y reçoit un Baccalauréat en pharmacologie. Il ouvre une pharmacie à Coaticook dans un bâtiment nommé « Medecine Hall ». Ernest Drolet épouse Émilie Fortin en 1909 à Cookshire et ensemble ils ont 1 enfant : Antoinette (1909-1999). Antoinette épouse Ernest Délium Émond en 1945 à Montréal. Joseph Alexandre Fortin (1846-1920) épouse Marie-Joséphine Tremblay (1854-1928) à Roberval en 1872. À un certain moment, le couple déménage près de La Patrie, où quelques-uns de leurs enfants naissent. Ensemble, ils ont 8 enfants : Adélard, Joseph Darly, Alfred, Émilie, Joseph, François-Xavier, Arthur, Laura et Alice. Xavier (1884-1976) épouse Blanche Roy (1895-1999). Émilie (1882-1963) épouse Ernest Casimir Drolet (1883-1919). Lucien Roy épouse Ferdinanda Côté, probablement à ou près de Saint-Anaclet-de-Lessard près de Rimouski. Parmi leurs enfants, on retrouve Blanche Marie Fernanda Roy, née en 1895. Blanche épouse Xavier Joseph Fortin à Drummondville en 1919.

Famille Lefebvre

  • Famille
  • fl. [191-]-1986

David Lefebvre (1888-1955), fils de François-Xavier Lefebvre et de Léocadie Lapointe, épouse Adélina Lebel (1893-1987), fille de Paul Lebel et de Geneviève Bouchard, le 27 septembre 1910 à St-Herménégilde. Ensemble, ils ont eu deux enfants : Normand (épouse Germaine Labbé en juin 1936) et Francella (épouse Florian Ménard en octobre 1940). En 1919, David Lefebvre part un service de pompe funèbre, de même qu'un service de taxi et d'ambulance, à Coaticook. Il offre ces services jusqu'à sa mort en 1955. Plus tard, Fernand Riendeau devient directeur de Frais funéraires. Florian Ménard a aussi travaillé pour le service de pompe funèbre de Lefebvre en tant qu'ambulancier et embaumeur.

Famille Tanguay

  • Famille
  • fl. [191-]-1989

Joseph-Octave Tanguay (1845-1934), né à St-Henri-de-Lévis, est arrivé à Coaticook avec sa femme, Philomène Hémond, et ses enfants en 1898. Leurs enfants était : Délima (1877-1960), Calixte (1881-1957), Virginie (née en 1883), Cyprien (1886-1986) et Joséphine (née en 1890). J.-O. Tanguay a été agriculteur jusqu'à sa retraite en 1920. Calixte Tanguay (1881-1957) épouse Rose Anna Giroux (1879-1948) à Coaticook le 25 octobre 1915. Ensemble, ils auront trois enfants : Wilfrid, Jeanne (1917-1989) et Yvonne (née en 1920). Cyprien Tanguay (1886-1986) épouse Delvina Couture (1897-1985) le 12 septembre 1916 à St-Herménégilde. Ensemble, ils auront au moins deux enfants, Jeannette (1916-1989) et Lucien-Paul (né en 1923). En 1927, Cyprien a ouvert une épicerie sur la rue Cutting à Coaticook. Le magasin, même s'il n'était pas aussi grand que celui de D. S. Bachand sur la rue Main, était particulièrement populaire avec les enfants qui allaient à l'école sur la rue Pleasant (Gérin-Lajoie) et qui venaient s'acheter des bonbons à un cent. Jeannette Tanguay (1916-1989) était une passionnée de musique.

Famille Telmosse

  • Famille
  • fl. 1905-1983

Ignace-Denis Telmosse est né à Montréal le 19 juillet 1889. Il était le fils de Louis W. Telmosse et de Lumina Perreault. Après avoir reçu son doctorat en médecine en 1912, il s'installe à Coaticook en 1916. Il y pratiquera la médecine jusqu'à sa mort en 1955. Le Dr Telmosse siège comme premier président du bureau médical du Centre hospitalier de Coaticook. Le Dr Telmosse épouse Denise Dupuis (1898-1985) en 1917. Ensemble, ils auront dix enfants : Edmond (1917), Thérèse (1920-1990), Berthe (1921-2001), Suzanne (1923), Louis (1923), Mathilde (1924), Denise (1926), François (1927-1990), Marguerite (1930) et Roger (1932-2017). Edmond et Louis se joindront au clergé comme prêtre catholique. François et Roger suivront les traces de leur père en devenant médecin. Thérèse épousera le Dr Gustave Gérin-Lajoie.

Famille Meade

  • Famille

Joseph Meade (1843-1910) a émigré de l'Angleterre en 1880 pour s'établir avec sa famille dans la région de Coaticook. Il a épousé Lydia Timson avec qui il a eu 6 enfants, incluant Frank (1871-1943) - un gérant à l'usine Belding-Corticelli de 1922 à 1939 - et Sidney A. - un arpenteur et ingénieur. Sidney A. Meade (1882-1961) a d'abord épousé Pearl Johnson (1884-1918) en 1909 avec qui il a eu deux enfants : Sidney (né en 1911) et Cecil (né en 1916). Après la mort de Pearl, Sidney épouse Eva Jane Robinson en 1920. Sidney A. Meade sera admis dans l'Ordre des arpenteurs du Québec le 19 décembre 1908. Il est actif dans les régions de Coaticook et de Sherbrooke. Cecil Meade (1916-1998) est né à Coaticook le 24 décembre 1916. Après avoir étudié au Coaticook High School et à l'Université Bishop's, il travaille comme assistant-arpenteur avec son père, Sydney, pendant quelques années avant de commencer l'étude de la musique au Toronto Conservatory. Par la suite, il sert dans l'armée outremer pendant la Deuxième guerre mondiale et retourne étudier la musique à l'Université McGill. Cela est suivit de quelques autres activités professionnelles. Il est récipiendaire d'un baccalauréat en musique de l'Université McGill en 1957 et passe une bonne partie de sa vie à travailler dans différents pays et sur différents projets musicaux.

Famille Cushing

  • Famille
  • 1914-1994

Charles Jackson Cushing, le fils de Manda T. Cushing et de Patsy Eliza Abbott, est né à Barnston le 1er février 1850. Il a été éduqué à la Barnston Academy. Durant sa vie, Charles J. Cushing occupe des poste de maire, de commissaire d'école et de juge de paix. Il épouse Amelia Carr le 17 juin 1885. Après la mort d'Amelia Carr en juin 1915, il épouse Emily A. Hadlock en octobre de la même année. Parmi les nièces et neveux de Charles J. Cushing, on retrouve Abbott Jenks et Emily Cushing Sheldon. Heber Cushing Peters, le fils d'Alexander Peters et de Sarah Elizabeth Cushing Haselton, est un autre membre de la famille. Charles J. Cushing passe sa vie dans le maison familiale et meurt le 19 avril 1931.

Gingras (family)

  • Famille

Armand J. (a.k.a "Pete") Gingras (1892-1976), son of Napoléon and Virginie Gingras of Sherbrooke, married Leota Moss (1896-1961), daughter of Michael and Bertha Moss of Coaticook, on 25 September 1916. Armand spent his professional life working as a salesman at H.C. Wilson & Sons music store in Sherbrooke for 60 years. Armand and Leota moved to Lennoxville and bought a house on the corner of Academy and Meade Streets. Together, they had at least 2 children: Leonard (1917-2006) and Gerald (1920-1999). Both Leonard and Gerald fought in World War II with the Royal Canadian Air Force. Leonard married Wilma Campbell (1921-2011) on 17 June 1942.

Woodman Family

  • W016
  • Famille
  • 1623-

The Woodmans trace their North American roots back to Edward Woodman who first emigrated to Newbury Mass.from Wiltshire, England in 1623. Joshua S. Woodman and his wife Polly Sturtevant settled in Hatley on Lot no. 5, 2nd Range in 1819. Together they had six children: Mary M. (3 October 1813), Joshua S. (25 October 1815), Eliza J. (3 April 1821), Caleb T., Albert Alonzo (19 July 1825), Sarah (27 July 1828). Johsua died on 10 March 1865. Joshua’s son, Albert Alonzo Woodman married Mary Jane Sanborn on 20 April 1847 in Compton, Que. They owned a farm in Moe’s River. Together, Albert and Mary had four children: Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932), Eliza Jane Woodman, Sarah Orcelia Woodman and Milton Sawyer Woodman. Albert Alonzo Woodman died on 7 September 1895 and is buried at the Moe’s River Cemetery.

Résultats 1 à 30 sur 67