Showing 42 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Myrtle Rebekah Lodge, No. 28 (Lennoxville-Ascot, Que.)

  • Corporate body

The Myrtle Rebekah Lodge No. 28 was instituted in Lennoxville-Ascot in 1913. Like other Rebekah Lodges, it was founded on the principles of 'Friendship, Love and Trust.' The Rebekah Lodges, while affiliated with the Odd Fellows, were designed especially for women, with the author of the Rebekah Ritual being American statesman Schuyler Colfax. The Sovereign Grand Lodge has jurisdiction over the entire fraternity. Within Quebec, all Rebekah Lodges are under the jurisdiction of the Rebekah Assembly of Quebec, which is divided in five Districts consisting of various number of lodges. Locally, the Lodge is under the leadership of a Noble Grand. According to the bylaws of the organization, the Rebekahs meet twice a month. In 1930, a Past Noble Grands' Club was organized by members of the Myrtle Rebakah Lodge No. 28, and meets once a month. This club was the first of its kind in Quebec. In keeping with the bylaws of the order, the Myrtle Rebekah Lodge No. 28 has a long history of charity work. The Lodge helped to maintain the Edith Kathan Home I.O.O.F. for senior citizens in West Brome, organized fund raising activities (card marathons, rummage sales and bazaars, socials, suppers, and teas) to help local homes, hospitals, and schools, as well as the Canadian Cancer Society, the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Institute for the Blind, and many other humanitarian organizations.

Dominion Lime Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-1984

The Dominion Lime Company was founded by three citizens of Sherbrooke — William Bullock Ives, Francis P. Buck, and James R. Woodward, along with one Montrealer — William Angus, May 18, 1887, its first meeting taking place June 28 of that year. Financing for the Company came primarily from the sale of shares, of which, at only its second meeting (June 30, 1887), $30,000 worth had already been sold. The Company held annual general meetings of shareholders as well as more frequent (ranging from monthly to biannual) meetings of the Board of Directors. Directors were elected annually at the General Annual Meetings of Shareholders. The executive roles filled by shareholders were those of President, Vice President, Treasurer, General Manager, Secretary, and occasionally assistants to some of these positions. In 1888, it was moved that an Executive Committee also be formed as a subgroup of the Board of Directors, composed of the President, Vice-President, and the Treasurer. From its incorporation, meetings of the Dominion Lime Company were often held in Sherbrooke, and by 1890 its head office was also located there.

The Company bought land in Dudswell (Wolfe County) for the mining and transformation of limestone into various products, beginning in 1887 with lots 13 and 14 of range 6, and continuing to accumulate mining properties in the following decades. By 1943 the Company owned and held mining rights to hundreds of acres of land in the Township of Dudswell and the Municipality of Marbleton. Dominion Lime was also important to the development of railroads in the Eastern Townships: at its incorporation, it held the rights to extend railways from the main Quebec Central Railway line to Dudswell, and from Dudswell to meet the Grand Trunk Railway in the counties of Richmond or Arthabaska. The construction of these railways was subsidized by the Dominion Government.

On April 2, 1890, the Dominion Lime Company amalgamated with the Dudswell Lime and Marble Company under the original name of Dominion Lime Company. In 1937, the Company was purchased by the Brompton Pulp and Paper Company Limited for $157,500 and the repayment of all debts, and the Dominion Lime Company became Dominion Lime Limited. In 1977 it changed again to Domlim Inc. The company was acquired by Graybec Inc. in 1980s, which continues to operate the site today.

Megantic-Compton Cemetery and Church Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

The Megantic-Compton Cemetery and Church Association was founded on May 21st, 1992. Its mission was to offer assistance in the maintenance and preservation of Protestant churches and cemeteries in the Megantic-Compton electoral riding. It was originally known under the title of “Megantic-Compton Heritage Trust,” but appears to have adopted the title of “Megantic-Compton Cemetery and Church Association” within the first few months of its incorporation. It was comprised of a Board of Directors of twelve members elected annually (for one- or two-year terms, with possibility of re-election). Annual General Meetings were held once per year, along with Special Meetings as necessary, and meetings of the Board of Directors were held multiple times per year as necessary. The Board of Directors included four officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The first President of the Association was Mr. J. Allen Martin (known as “Allen”), who held the position until his death in 2001, at which point Vice-President Orvil Anderson took over. Ms. Ethel Martin was Treasurer from 1992 to 2001, at which point she and longtime Secretary Ms. Violet Main resigned, and both were replaced by Mr. William (Bill) Cloutier as Secretary-Treasurer. General membership ranged from about twenty-five to fifty members throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. As of 2013, the Association was still meeting regularly.

The Association preoccupied itself throughout most of the 1990s with preparing cemetery listings for the Protestant cemeteries within the Megantic-Compton electoral riding. The research for these cemetery listings was carried out by paid employees (many of whom were students) and volunteers. A separate but related research project involved the compilation of Protestant Church registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials from the Megantic-Compton electoral riding. They also commemorated some neglected cemeteries with monuments acknowledging the first settlers of the area whose remains were buried in those areas. Funding for the Association’s activities came from federal and provincial grants as well as individual and corporate donations and fundraising activities. Individual donations were encouraged through the Association’s carefully curated mailing list.

Brae Manor Players

  • Corporate body
  • 1935-ca. 1964

The Brae Manor Players was established under the direction of Filmore Sadler, director, in 1935. The theatre troupe often performed in Knowlton (at the Brae Manor) and in North Hatley. A void in theatrical productions was felt in the Townships after the Brae Manor Players ceased their activities. This lack was partially answered by the establishment of the Piggery Theatre in 1965.

Wesley United Church (Beebe, Que.)

  • Corporate body

Wesley United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized as an independent charge in 1875. A first church was erected in 1876-77 in Beebe. Fifteen years later, it became too small for the growing community, and another church was built in 1891. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Wesley Methodist Church in Beebe decided to join the Union. Wesley United Church has been strongly connected to the Graniteville United Church for some years. Since 1981 or 1982, the Church has been part of the United Steeples Pastoral Charge, which includes also Centenary United Church (Stanstead), Stanstead South United Church (Rock Island) and Graniteville United Church. Wesley United Church in Beebe is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Official Board, the Session, the Board of Stewards, the Board of Trustees, a Joint Board and the Congregation in co-operation with committees and organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School, the United Church Women and the Young People's Society.

Facing financial difficulties and a decreasing membership, the congregation of Wesley United Church decided to sell the building. The last service was held in Wesley United Church on 15 April 2007 and the building was sold 30 April 2007 to musicians to be made into a private residence and concert hall.

Wilkinson Brothers Studio

  • Corporate body
  • 1892-[194-?]

The Wilkinson Brothers Studio opened in the spring of 1892. John Wilkinson (b. March 9, 1862 in Scotland, d. 1946) and his brother, Alfred Wilkinson (b. December 14, 1867 in Belgium) bought the studio of H.H. Weeden in Cookshire and reopened it under its new name. John had visited Canada and the United States from 1884 to 1885, and after completing his studies at the London Polytechnic School of Photography, he had returned (in 1891) to settle in Cookshire with his brother Alfred. The Wilkinson Brothers were known to photograph both the upper and lower classes of the region, and also contributed to the illustration of L.S. Channell’s work, “History of Compton County,” published in 1896. John Wilkinson married Millicent Botterill. Alfred Wilkinson married Ethel Bigland and together they had a son, Gerald (b. 1897). Records suggest Alfred left the photographic studio and served as headmaster at Bishop's College School in Lennoxville from 1911 to 1931. John continued to operate the photograph studio without his brother into the 1930s. John died in Cookshire in 1946.

Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke

  • Corporate body
  • 1934-[196-?]

The Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke was founded in July 1934 by a group of fifteen women. Jean Kinkead was elected as their first president. The Club was organized with members, all of whom had to be gainfully employed women, and an elected president. In 1935, the Sherbrooke club became a chapter of the Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs. In 1937, the Sherbrooke club was instrumental in the establishment of the Border Business and Professional Women’s Club in Rock Island.

Initially the Club focused on bringing professional women together and on highlighting women active in the professional or political spheres through hosting special speakers, among which included Nellie McClung in 1939. During the war, the Club’s activities largely focused on war work. In 1945, the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke established a public speaking contest for girls from Sherbrooke and Lennoxville High Schools.

Later on, the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke’s primary aim was to provide friendship and fellowship for working women. It is likely that the Club disbanded in the late 1960s.

Sherbrooke and District University Women’s Scholarship Foundation

  • Corporate body
  • 1993-

The Sherbrooke and District University Women’s Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1993 by the Sherbrooke & District University Women’s Club for the purpose of granting scholarships, bursaries, and prizes to students and recent graduates based on academic achievements, accomplishments, or financial need. Their principal objective is to support the education of women in the community and to encourage the continuation of their studies. The Foundation raises funds for the scholarship programs through fundraising and donations. In 2008, as part of a broader effort to gain more publicity and generate more interest for the Foundation, the Scholarship Foundation chose to change its name and logo to something shorter and easier for the community to remember and recognize. In 2009, the Advisory Committee selected the Lampe Foundation for the new name and the Scholarship Foundation was officially changed to the Lampe Foundation in 2010.

Matrix

  • Corporate body
  • 1975-

Matrix is a literary magazine founded in 1975 by members of the English Department at Champlain Regional College – Lennoxville, QC. The magazine publishes literary and artistic submissions, with a focus on showcasing new Canadian talent – especially English writers in the Eastern Townships and Montreal. At its founding, it consisted of an editorial board (staffed by the Champlain English Department) headed by Editor-in-chief Philip Lanthier. In 1988, the team at Champlain College (consisting at that time of Lanthier and his colleagues: Michael Benazon, Marjorie Retzleff, Vivenne Allen, and Rina Kampeas) could not maintain their commitment to the magazine, so the publication was moved to the English Department of John Abbott College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC. It is presently published through the English Department at Concordia University in Montreal, QC.

While publishing out of Lennoxville, Matrix experienced a great deal of accomplishments: launching the literary careers of writers such as W.P. Kinsella and Joan Fern Shaw, and winning a National Magazine Award for featuring the work of Joyce Marshall, to name a few. During its early years, Matrix was funded entirely by CRC-Lennoxville; when most of the funding from the College was cut, the magazine turned to subscriptions and grant funding through the Canada Council for the Arts. Matrix experienced a financial crisis for the majority of 1982, facing near-extinction, but regained its stability in the following years. It is presently funded by the following bodies: Conseil des arts de la communauté urbaine de Montréal, Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, Canada Council for the Arts, the English Department and Faculty of Arts at Concordia, and the federal government through the Canada Periodical Fund (CPF). It was previously published semiannually and is now published three times per year.

Coalition de conservationistes pour l'environnement dans les Cantons Inc.

  • Corporate body
  • 1979-1991

The Coalition of Conservationists of the Eastern Townships (CCC) began in the late 1970s by Brian Olding, Richard (a.k.a. Crick) Glass, and Alex Bowie and was driven by concerns regarding the water quality of the Massawippi River, which was being contaminated by industries situated along the river, in particular Scott Paper Limited in Lennoxville. A water quality sampling program was undertaken to identify the pollutants present in the Massawippi River. As support and interest in the group’s work continued to grow, it was incorporated the 14 June 1979 as the Coalition pour la Conservation de l’Environnement dans les Cantons Inc. with the objectives of protecting and improving the natural environment for the good of the general public, which was to be achieved through the promotion of scientific research and projects, raising public awareness of environmental concerns, and supporting the creation of laws to protect the environment. The first directors were Richard Côté, Vincent Cuddihy, Stephen Monty, Sonya Nigam, Charles Simpkin, and Ann Tippet. In 1979, the CCC applied for government funding for a project to complete an analysis of the Massawippi River basin but the project was not funded.

Following a decade-long period of inactivity, the members of the CCC voted to dissolve the organization in 1991. The funds remaining following dissolution were donated to the Sentiers Massawippi Trail.

Sourire à la Vie Golden Age Club of St-Marc's

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

Saint-Marc’s golden age club was founded in 1973 and received its letters patent in 1974 under the name of Club de l’âge d’or de St-Marc de Coaticook. Initially organized through paid membership to the club, it offered monthly activities such as card parties, games, and art workshops as well as organizing group trips. More often known as Sourire à la Vie, the club also published a seasonal newsletter for its members. The Club met for a long time in the basement of the Saint-Marc Catholic Church in Coaticook until the church’s closure and sale in 2010. Following this, the club began to meet in the reception room of L’Épervier in Coaticook. In 2014, the club celebrated its 40th anniversary and was composed of 90 members.

Canadian Celanese. Coaticook

  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1985

The Coaticook factory that would eventually become the Canadian Celanese had its earliest beginnings in 1872 with the purchase of water rights from Levi Baldwin to Thomas McDuffee. They would then be acquired by Frederick Cross for the establishment of a rake factory. The factory went through a series of changes in ownership and purpose until it was acquired by Trenholme and Armitage in 1889 and became the Coaticook Woolen Mills. The factory was destroyed by fire in June 1889 and was rebuilt, continuing operations until 1919 when it was sold to Walter Blue. The factory again underwent multiple transactions until 1944, when it was acquired by Coaticook Textiles Limited. Under this ownership, the factory was expanded and by 1954 it employed 125 workers.

The Canadian Celanese was established in Coaticook in 1956 with the purchase of Coaticook Textiles Ltd’s building and equipment. In 1963, the Canadian Celanese Company merged with the Canadian Chemical Company to become a division of Chemcell Limited. In 1972, its corporate name was changed again to Celanese Canada. In 1980, the principal activity of the Celanese was the manufacture of acetate lining and texturized polyester fabrics. At this time, 80 per cent of their production went to Drummondville for dying and dressing.

In 1984 and 1985, Canadian Celanese’s plant in Coaticook was purchased by Produits Cellulaires Waterville. The company subsequently closed the plant, transferring Coaticook employees to Waterville.

Maison de jeunes de Coaticook Inc.

  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

The Coaticook youth centre, Maison des jeunes de Coaticook, was founded in 1983 for the primary purposes of encouraging the autonomy of adolescents (ages 12-17), to provide a location for youth to gather together, to provide youth with activities that respond to their interests, and to prevent problems specific among youth. The organization is governed by a Board of Directors with various committees to support its activities. Initially, the Maison de jeunes de Coaticook rented space from the high school école Polyvalente La Frontalière but later on was able to secure their own space on Laurence Street. Also known as La Mayz de Coaticook, the organization celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2003. The Maison de jeunes de Coaticook continues to be active as it pursues objectives similar to those established in 1983.

Beaulne Museum

  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

The Beaulne Museum was founded in 1964 by Denise Beaulne and was originally housed at the Town Hall in Coaticook and, later on, in the same building as the municipal library. Following purchase of Château Norton in 1976, the Beaulne Museum was moved to this historic house. The mandate of the Museum is to promote education by offering workshops and seminars particularly focused on the visual arts, to encourage the public’s appreciation of the arts and heritage through exhibitions. As part of its mandate, the Museum also collects and preserves artifacts to be used in exhibitions.
The Château Norton, which presently houses the Beaulne Museum, was built in 1912 by Arthur O. Norton, a local business owner. Harry and Mary Norton bequethed the house to the Anglican Church in 1942 and turned it into a girls’ home until 1968. Finally, in 1976, it was purchased by the City of Coaticook.

St. John Ambulance Brigade. Coaticook Division.

  • Corporate body
  • Founded 1944

The Coaticook division of Ambulancière St-Jean (St. John Ambulance) was founded in May 1944 by Dr. Albert Préfontaine, Anna Perras, Eva Bourque, Laura Laroche, Florence Carbonneau, and Edvina Brière. In the early years, this division’s membership was entirely female and consisted of monthly meetings at the armoury which included drills and annual first aid training. Included among their work in the community was volunteering in the hospital, accompanying doctors during home births, and providing first aid support during the 1949 fire. In 1971, the Coaticook division was reorganized to include male participation. In 1972, over 250 people registered for first aid and home care courses. In 1976, Coaticook placed second in a regional first aid competition against other St. John Ambulance brigades. St. John Ambulance volunteers continue to be in active in the Coaticook region through the Ambulance St-Jean Division 234 in Compton.

radio CFIN-FM

  • Corporate body
  • 1983-1987

Radio CFIN-FM 104.5 began broadcasting on 1 November 1983. The launch of CFIN-FM, Quebec's first FM country radio station in Quebec, was made possible through the efforts of Clément de Laat and Michael Dougherty. Despite a broad listener base which spanned much of the Estrie and into the United States, the CRTC maintained that CFIN-FM's audience did not conform to the CRTC regulations and the radio station was closed at the summer 1987.

Chambre de commerce des jeunes de Coaticook

  • Corporate body
  • 1943-1964

The Chambre de commerce des jeunes de Coaticook (Junior Chamber of Commerce of Coaticook) was established in 1943 to operate in partnership with the city's Chamber of Commerce. Its activities included the improvement of community life and skills building, with an interest in promoting tourism in the region. It was disbanded in 1964 in favour of having one sole board of directors.

Belding Corticelli Limited. Coaticook

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-2004

The Belding-Corticelli factory in Coaticook had its beginnings with John Thorton and Edwin F. Tomkins in 1883 when they purchased the weaving equipment from the Coaticook Cotton Company. This company, called Cascade Narrow Fabric, was purchased by Corticelli Silk Company in 1898, and factory was expanded with the construction of a second building adjoining the original structure. With the merger between Belding Paul & Company and the Corticelli Silk Co., it became the Belding Corticelli Ltd in 1915 or 1919. With the expansion of its facilities and equipment, Belding Corticelli employed 200 to 300 workers from early 1900s into the latter half of the century. The factory added a second building to its original property on Child Street in 1946 when it purchased the A.O. Norton building on Cutting Street. For many years, the factory primarily manufactured braid (also known as woven tapes), elastics, laces, and cotton cord. Belding Corticelli Ltd closed its doors in 2004, stating that it was no longer able to compete with the expanding availability of Chinese-manufactured products.

Cinéma Opéra

  • Corporate body
  • 1945-1981

Cinéma Opéra, established by Philias Blouin held its first film showing in Coaticook in January 1945 in the Main Street building which previously served as the Opera House. In order to convert the facilities from theatre to film presentations, a screen and projector were installed and the original wooden seats were replaced with 450 padded seats. Cinéma Opéra’s final presentation was in July 1981. Following the building’s sale to a machinery dealership, it was demolished and turned into a parking lot.

Club Radio Frontière Coaticook

  • Corporate body
  • 1977-[198-?]

The Club Radio Frontière Coaticook was founded in February 1977 in by Henri Fecteau, George Longmoore, Michel Fournier, Pierre Laberge, Raymond Isabelle, and Jacques Philibert. The aims of the Club were to promote and develop CB radio communication in Coaticook and the surrounding region, to encourage the use and integration of CB radios among the population, and to offer services to members to increase their knowledge of telecommunications. The Club logo was designed by Louise Lacasse of Lennoxville, which was chosen following a design contest. The Club pursued its objectives through a variety of activities, such as “coffee breaks” which brought together CB radio users from other towns, as well as fishing tournaments, Halloween parties, and Santa Clause days. The Club was also active in fundraising endeavours.

Service Incendie. Région Coaticook

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-present

The City of Coaticook’s fire brigade had its start with the incorporation of the town in 1864 and began with bylaws to help reduce the likelihood of conflagration. By the late 1880s, Coaticook had its first organized fire brigade, called the Deluge Fire Company. A second brigade was added in 1898, called the Beaver Fire Company. Over time, the Coaticook Fire Department added various equipment, such as a steam fire pump in 1887, which marked the official beginning of the department.
Over the years, Coaticook had a number of major fires dealt with by department: in 1890, a number of buildings on Child and Main Streets succumbed to fire; in 1895 a fire destroyed a large part of the downtown; a third major fire in 1949 began in the Hotel Child and went on to destroy a number of other buildings, including the first building of the St-Jean-l’Évangeliste church.
In 1976, the firefighting services of Coaticook, Dixville, Ste-Edwidge and St-Herménégilde and a reorganization of the services was undertaken. Today, its principal mission is to assure the protection of the lives and property of the approximately 12,000 citizens situated in its member municipalities, which are spread over a territory of approximately 564 km2.

Club de patinage artistique de Coaticook

  • Corporate body

The Club de patinage artistique de Coaticook (CPA de Coaticook) began in 1969 as Les Pointes argentées de Coaticook. The first Board of Directors was composed of Andrée Joubert, Rita Veillette, Thérèse Couture, Marguerite Gosselin, and Carmen Michaud. Financing of Club and access to ice time was particularly challenging in the early years. Over time, they were able to secure some donations from the City of Coaticook as well as charitable organizations in the area. By the second year of their activities, club membership had risen to 135 members and the first performance of the skaters was organized.
Over the years, some skaters from CPA de Coaticook went on to compete in provincial and national competitions, such as Maryse Tremblay, Martine Ruel, Renel Péloquin, Nathalie Coupal, Vicky Coupal, Louise Michaud, Maggy Caron, and Odrée Grenier.
The CPA de Coaticook encountered challenges in the 2000s as a result of the decrease in popularity of figure skating in the region. During this time, club membership was about 50-60 skaters. With the efforts of dedicated directors and volunteers, the CPA de Coaticook experienced a resurgence of interest and activity following 2011, which was also marked by the official change of the Club’s name.

Sherbrooke County Women's Christian Temperance Union (Sherbrooke, Que.)

  • Corporate body

The Women's Christian Temperance Union of the County of Sherbrooke was organized on 24 January 1899 for the purpose of strengthening and coordinating the activities of the existing WCTUs in the county. Officers and department superintendents were elected at the annual county WCTU convention. Some of the various departments consisted of Scientific Temperance Instruction and Health and Heredity, Anti-Narcotics, Lumber Camps and Sailors, Juvenile Sunday School, Literature, Prison and Reformatory, Missionary Work, Press, Flower Mission, Fair Work, and "Y" Work. The Spring Road, Sherbrooke, Milby, Huntingville, and Lennoxville WCTUs were among the member branches of the Sherbrooke County WCTU.

5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Association (Sherbrooke, Que.)

  • C007
  • Corporate body
  • 1934-1967

The 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, created in 1915, was part of the 8th Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. In September 1934, members of the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion who had served during World War I organized the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Association to perpetuate the memory and the tradition of their battalion. The Association was run by a four-member board elected annually. Its main activity was the annual reunion of its members, who had belonged to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion or the Company of the Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles. In 1967, the last meeting was held and the Association disbanded.

Corporation de la gestion du Chemin des Cantons

  • C005
  • Corporate body
  • 2007-

Le Chemin des Cantons, also referred to as the Townships Trail was first launched in June 2007. The trail traverses over 30 towns, eight regional county municipalities and over 400 km of the Eastern Townships. The trail begins in Brome-Missisquoi and ends in Val-Saint-Francois. Following secondary routes, the Townships Trail explores the British, American, Scottish and Irish influence and legacy in the Eastern Townships through the 18th and 19th centuries. The trail is one among eight tourist routes recognized by Quebec’s Ministry of Transportation. It’s mandate is founded on showcasing the built and natural history and heritage of the Eastern Townships through the use of marked route signs. In addition to the trail signage, the Townships Trail also provides tourists with maps and audio guides that recount and narrate the memories, stories, and history through artists and locals from the region. First conceived in 2004, the cultural trail has materialized through a partnership between the municipalities, the Local Centres of Development for Haut-Saint Francois, the Regional Conference of Elected Officials of Estrie and Monteregie Est, the Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network, along with Tourism Eastern Townships.

The Corporation de la gestion du Chemin des Cantons is run by a Board of Directors of 15 members who are elected by the General Assembly for a period of two years. The members of the Board of Directors represent the eight regional county municipalities, Tourism Eastern Townships, the Conseil de la Culture de l’Estrie, the Anglophone Heritage Network, the friends of the Townships Trail and the Attrait-Etape. The Board of Directors also includes two co-opted members who are appointed by the Board. The Corporation de la gestion du Chemin des Cantons also has a coordinator Helene Deslauriers who has held this title since 2007. There are also a number of committees in charge of programming, routes, evaluation, marketing and relaunch.

Notable founding committee members of the route are : Julie Sage, secteur tourisme de Coaticook, Marc Cantin, secteur tourisme et culture Asbestos, Dominic Ferland, secteur culture memphremagog, Julie Pomerleau, secteur culture Haut-Saint Francois, Alain Deschatelets, Tourisme Sherbrooke, Josiane Ares, secteur culture Val- Saint Francois, Sylvie Vandal, Tourisme Granby Bromont, Denis Brisebois, DBSF, Sylvie Lamarche DBSF, Marie-France Bourdages, Tourisme Cantons-de-l’Est, Jocelyne Jacques, ministere de la culture et des communications, Line Brault, CLD Brome- Missisquoi, Melanie Duranleau CLC Haut St Francois, Dominic Ferland MRC Memphremagog, Jacynthe Ferland, CLD Val St-Francois, Jocelyne Jacques, MCC, Shirley Lavertue, MRC Coaticook, Diane St- Jacques, CLD Haut-St Francois, and Helene Deslauriers, Route Culturelle- Tourisme Cantons-de-l’Est.

Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited

  • C004
  • Corporate body
  • 1918-1993

The Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited was first established on 7 March 1918 under the Canadian Cooperatives Act. The national body was established under the recommendation of the Dominion and provincial governments.The mandate of the Co-operative is to market and regulate the price and quality of wool in Canada. Wool produced throughout the country is consigned to the Co-operative and settled according to a grade that is assigned to the product. In 1920, the Co-operative established its Quebec branch in Lennoxville. This branch operated out of a warehouse on Conley street which was constructed and supervised by Leandre Vadnais Parent until his retirement in 1961. This location served as the provincial warehouse and grading station for the Quebec region. In addition to the grading and marketing of wool, the co-operative sold sheep supplies and woollen products such as yarn and blankets. In 1929, the Lennoxville branch opened an office on 159 Queen Street, as the Conley Street warehouse continued to be used for receiving and grading of wool. In 1945, the co-operative established The Wool Shop, which was a popular wool specialty retail outlet. In 1993 the Lennoxville branch of the Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers was shut down as a result of the organization’s restructuring efforts.

Abbotsford United Church (Abbotsford, Que.)

  • Corporate body

Abbotsford United Church, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1839 by Rev. Charles Miles, an English Congregational minister. After the death of Rev. Miles in 1855, no Congregational minister was available and the church served as an academy. At about this time, a number of Methodist families moved in the region and an appeal was sent to the Methodist minister in Granby to come and re-open the church for worship. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Abbotsford Methodist Church joined the Union to form the Abbotsford United Church. Since 1976, the Abbotsford United Church has belonged to the Granby Pastoral Charge. Abbotsford United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Official Board and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church, such as the Women's Missionary Society and the United Church Women.

Presbytery of Quebec

  • P001
  • Corporate body
  • 1875-

The Presbytery of Quebec was organized in 1875, after the Presbyterian Church in Canada was formed. The latter resulted from the merger of four Presbyterian churches in Canada: the Canada Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church of Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland, the Presbyterian Church in the Lower Provinces of British North America and the Presbyterian Church of the Maritime Provinces in Connection with the Church of Scotland. The Presbytery of Quebec, which is part of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario, is a court of the Church made up of a number of congregations within the quadrilateral formed by Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Rivière-du-Loup, and Lake Megantic. Over the years, congregations were established in Danville-Asbestos, East Angus, Flodden (Brompton Gore), Gould, Hampden, Inverness, Jersey Mills, Lake Megantic, Leeds, Marsboro, Melbourne, Milan, Quebec City, Richmond, Rivière-du-Loup, Scotstown, Sherbrooke, St. Sylvester, Trois-Rivières, Valcartier, Winslow, etc. In 1925, the Presbytery of Quebec lost congregations, which joined the newly formed United Church of Canada. The main functions of the Presbytery are to oversee congregations within its bounds; to designate new congregations; to elect those who bear ecclesiastical charges; to find candidates for the ministry and to certify them for ordination; to authorize calls to ministers by congregations; and to proceed to ordination and/or induction (art. 202-234) of new ministers. Prior to 1875, a Presbytery of Quebec existed. It had been organized in 1831 when a Synod of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland was established. The Presbytery of Quebec ceased to exist in 1846, but was revived in 1856 and reorganized in 1875. The Presbytery consists of ordained ministers within the bounds (minimum of half-time basis) and one ordained elder from each congregation which has an organized session, and ministers ordained by the Presbytery for work overseas under the Life and Mission Agency.(art. 176). The moderator of the Presbytery constitutes the court and presides, opens and closes meetings with prayer, preserves order, takes votes, announces decisions, pronounces censures, signs minutes, calls meetings, and generally directs the business of the court (art. 179). The Presbytery appoints a clerk whose duty is to keep records of proceedings and transmit the same annually to the synod for review; keep an accurate roll of the members; preserve all papers belonging to the court; and give certified extracts from minutes when required (art. 181). The Presbytery appoints a treasurer to receive and disburse any moneys belonging to the court (art. 183).

Ascot Women's Institute (Ascot, Que.)

  • A002
  • Corporate body
  • fl. 1918-1990

The Ascot Women's Institute was founded in 1918. It was initially known as the Spring Road Club, and was soon renamed the Ascot Homemakers' Club. Like the other Homemakers' Clubs, in 1921, it became a Women's Institute, whose motto is 'For Home and Country.' In collaboration with Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, the Ascot Women's Institute's mandate was to help rural women and stimulate community life. This institute was incorporated in 1932. It is a member of the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Delegates attend the annual meetings of these organizations. Locally, an elected board of directors worked with various committees (Agriculture, Home Economics, Education, Citizenship, Health and Welfare, Publicity, Sunshine Communications, International Affairs, Ways and Means), to organize monthly meetings and activities. The latter includes lectures; horticultural contests; school fairs; and fund raising events in aid of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and other humanitarian organizations. Beginning in the 1970s, the Ascot Women's Institute began to involve itself with problems relating to the environment and women's rights.

Results 1 to 30 of 42