Affichage de 44 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Collectivité

Lennoxville Curling Association (Lennoxville, Que.)

  • Collectivité
  • 1923-1946

La Lennoxville Curling Association est fondée le 23 avril 1923 afin de promouvoir le curling auprès des citoyens de la ville de Lennoxville, ainsi que d’acquérir, détenir et louer des biens meubles et immeubles à cet effet. Le premier projet de l’Association a été de construire une piste de curling à Lennoxville. À sa réunion du 19 novembre 1923, l’Association décide de louer le nouvel édifice au Lennoxville Curling Club au plus bas prix possible. En 1946, le Lennoxville Curling Club offre à la Lennoxville Curling Association d’acheter la propriété de celle-ci. À son assemblée générale annuelle du 20 juin 1946, l’Association décide d’accepter l’offre du Club pour la somme de un dollar. Il est ensuite résolu de dissoudre l’Association après le transfert des biens réels au Club. La Lennoxville Curling Association est officiellement dissoute le 1er août 1946.

Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Myrtle Rebekah Lodge, No. 28 (Lennoxville-Ascot, Que.)

  • Collectivité

La fondation de la Myrtle Rebekah Lodge No. 28 date de 1913. Comme les autres Rebekah Lodges, sa devise est « Amitié, amour et vérité ». Bien qu’affilié aux Odd Fellows, le mouvement Rebekah Lodge est destiné spécifiquement aux femmes. Son rituel est l’œuvre de l’homme politique américain Schuyler Colfax. La Grande Loge Souveraine a juridiction sur l’ensemble de la fraternité. Au Québec, toutes les loges Rebekah sont sous la juridiction de la Rebekah Assembly of Quebec, qui est divisée en cinq districts qui regroupent un nombre plus ou moins grand de loges. Au niveau local, la Loge est sous la direction d’un Noble Grand. Conformément aux règlements de l’organisation, les membres se réunissent deux fois par mois. En 1930, un Past Noble Grands' Club est créé par les membres de la Myrtle Rebakah Lodge No. 28. Ce club, qui est le premier du genre au Québec, se réunit une fois par mois. Conformément aux règlements de l’Ordre, la Myrtle Rebekah Lodge No. 28 poursuit une longue tradition de philanthropie. La Loge a aidé au maintien de la résidence pour personnes âgées Edith Kathan Home I.O.O.F. de Brome-Ouest et a organisé des activités de collecte de fonds (marathons de cartes, ventes de charité, activités sociales, soupers et goûters) au profit des écoles, foyers et hôpitaux locaux, de la Société canadienne du cancer, de la Société canadienne de la Croix-Rouge, de l’Institut pour les aveugles et de nombreux autres organismes humanitaires.

Dominion Lime Company

  • Collectivité
  • 1887-1984

The Dominion Lime Company was founded by three citizens of Sherbrooke — William Bullock Ives, Francis P. Buck, and James R. Woodward, along with one Montrealer — William Angus, May 18, 1887, its first meeting taking place June 28 of that year. Financing for the Company came primarily from the sale of shares, of which, at only its second meeting (June 30, 1887), $30,000 worth had already been sold. The Company held annual general meetings of shareholders as well as more frequent (ranging from monthly to biannual) meetings of the Board of Directors. Directors were elected annually at the General Annual Meetings of Shareholders. The executive roles filled by shareholders were those of President, Vice President, Treasurer, General Manager, Secretary, and occasionally assistants to some of these positions. In 1888, it was moved that an Executive Committee also be formed as a subgroup of the Board of Directors, composed of the President, Vice-President, and the Treasurer. From its incorporation, meetings of the Dominion Lime Company were often held in Sherbrooke, and by 1890 its head office was also located there.

The Company bought land in Dudswell (Wolfe County) for the mining and transformation of limestone into various products, beginning in 1887 with lots 13 and 14 of range 6, and continuing to accumulate mining properties in the following decades. By 1943 the Company owned and held mining rights to hundreds of acres of land in the Township of Dudswell and the Municipality of Marbleton. Dominion Lime was also important to the development of railroads in the Eastern Townships: at its incorporation, it held the rights to extend railways from the main Quebec Central Railway line to Dudswell, and from Dudswell to meet the Grand Trunk Railway in the counties of Richmond or Arthabaska. The construction of these railways was subsidized by the Dominion Government.

On April 2, 1890, the Dominion Lime Company amalgamated with the Dudswell Lime and Marble Company under the original name of Dominion Lime Company. In 1937, the Company was purchased by the Brompton Pulp and Paper Company Limited for $157,500 and the repayment of all debts, and the Dominion Lime Company became Dominion Lime Limited. In 1977 it changed again to Domlim Inc. The company was acquired by Graybec Inc. in 1980s, which continues to operate the site today.

Megantic-Compton Cemetery and Church Association

  • Collectivité
  • 1992-

The Megantic-Compton Cemetery and Church Association was founded on May 21st, 1992. Its mission was to offer assistance in the maintenance and preservation of Protestant churches and cemeteries in the Megantic-Compton electoral riding. It was originally known under the title of “Megantic-Compton Heritage Trust,” but appears to have adopted the title of “Megantic-Compton Cemetery and Church Association” within the first few months of its incorporation. It was comprised of a Board of Directors of twelve members elected annually (for one- or two-year terms, with possibility of re-election). Annual General Meetings were held once per year, along with Special Meetings as necessary, and meetings of the Board of Directors were held multiple times per year as necessary. The Board of Directors included four officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The first President of the Association was Mr. J. Allen Martin (known as “Allen”), who held the position until his death in 2001, at which point Vice-President Orvil Anderson took over. Ms. Ethel Martin was Treasurer from 1992 to 2001, at which point she and longtime Secretary Ms. Violet Main resigned, and both were replaced by Mr. William (Bill) Cloutier as Secretary-Treasurer. General membership ranged from about twenty-five to fifty members throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. As of 2013, the Association was still meeting regularly.

The Association preoccupied itself throughout most of the 1990s with preparing cemetery listings for the Protestant cemeteries within the Megantic-Compton electoral riding. The research for these cemetery listings was carried out by paid employees (many of whom were students) and volunteers. A separate but related research project involved the compilation of Protestant Church registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials from the Megantic-Compton electoral riding. They also commemorated some neglected cemeteries with monuments acknowledging the first settlers of the area whose remains were buried in those areas. Funding for the Association’s activities came from federal and provincial grants as well as individual and corporate donations and fundraising activities. Individual donations were encouraged through the Association’s carefully curated mailing list.

Brae Manor Players

  • Collectivité
  • 1935-ca. 1964

The Brae Manor Players was established under the direction of Filmore Sadler, director, in 1935. The theatre troupe often performed in Knowlton (at the Brae Manor) and in North Hatley. A void in theatrical productions was felt in the Townships after the Brae Manor Players ceased their activities. This lack was partially answered by the establishment of the Piggery Theatre in 1965.

Wesley United Church (Beebe, Que.)

  • Collectivité

À l’origine église méthodiste, Wesley United Church devient une charge indépendante en 1875. Le premier temple est construit en 1876-1877 à Beebe. Quinze plus tard, en 1891, le temple ne pouvant recevoir la communauté grandissante, la congrégation construit une autre église. En 1925, l’Église Unie du Canada est formée par l'union de congrégations des Églises presbytériennes, méthodistes et congrégationalistes. Wesley Methodist Church décide de se joindre à l’Union. Pendant plusieurs années, Wesley United Church tisse des liens étroits avec Graniteville United Church. Depuis 1981 ou 1982, l’église fait partie de la charge pastorale United Steeples. L’église unie Wesley de Beebe relève du Consistoire Québec-Sherbrooke du Synode Montréal et Ottawa de l’Église Unie du Canada. La Congrégation et les conseils suivants dirigent ses activités : Board of Stewards (conseil presbytéral), Board of Trustees (conseil de surveillance), un Joint Board (conseil mixte), en collaboration avec ses comités et groupes internes, tels la Sunday School (école du dimanche), les United Church Women (Comité des femmes de l’Église Unie) et la Young People’s Society (groupe jeunesse). Face à des difficultés financières et une adhésion décroissante, la congrégation de l'église unie Westley a décidé de vendre le bâtiment. Le dernier service a eu lieu à l'église unie Westley le 15 Avril 2007 et le bâtiment a été cédé 30 Avril 2007 pour les musiciens pour être transformé en une résidence et salle de concert privé.

Wilkinson Brothers Studio

  • Collectivité
  • 1892-[194-?]

The Wilkinson Brothers Studio opened in the spring of 1892. John Wilkinson (b. March 9, 1862 in Scotland, d. 1946) and his brother, Alfred Wilkinson (b. December 14, 1867 in Belgium) bought the studio of H.H. Weeden in Cookshire and reopened it under its new name. John had visited Canada and the United States from 1884 to 1885, and after completing his studies at the London Polytechnic School of Photography, he had returned (in 1891) to settle in Cookshire with his brother Alfred. The Wilkinson Brothers were known to photograph both the upper and lower classes of the region, and also contributed to the illustration of L.S. Channell’s work, “History of Compton County,” published in 1896. John Wilkinson married Millicent Botterill. Alfred Wilkinson married Ethel Bigland and together they had a son, Gerald (b. 1897). Records suggest Alfred left the photographic studio and served as headmaster at Bishop's College School in Lennoxville from 1911 to 1931. John continued to operate the photograph studio without his brother into the 1930s. John died in Cookshire in 1946.

Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke

  • Collectivité
  • 1934-[196-?]

The Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke was founded in July 1934 by a group of fifteen women. Jean Kinkead was elected as their first president. The Club was organized with members, all of whom had to be gainfully employed women, and an elected president. In 1935, the Sherbrooke club became a chapter of the Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs. In 1937, the Sherbrooke club was instrumental in the establishment of the Border Business and Professional Women’s Club in Rock Island.

Initially the Club focused on bringing professional women together and on highlighting women active in the professional or political spheres through hosting special speakers, among which included Nellie McClung in 1939. During the war, the Club’s activities largely focused on war work. In 1945, the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke established a public speaking contest for girls from Sherbrooke and Lennoxville High Schools.

Later on, the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sherbrooke’s primary aim was to provide friendship and fellowship for working women. It is likely that the Club disbanded in the late 1960s.

Sherbrooke and District University Women’s Scholarship Foundation

  • Collectivité
  • 1993-

The Sherbrooke and District University Women’s Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1993 by the Sherbrooke & District University Women’s Club for the purpose of granting scholarships, bursaries, and prizes to students and recent graduates based on academic achievements, accomplishments, or financial need. Their principal objective is to support the education of women in the community and to encourage the continuation of their studies. The Foundation raises funds for the scholarship programs through fundraising and donations. In 2008, as part of a broader effort to gain more publicity and generate more interest for the Foundation, the Scholarship Foundation chose to change its name and logo to something shorter and easier for the community to remember and recognize. In 2009, the Advisory Committee selected the Lampe Foundation for the new name and the Scholarship Foundation was officially changed to the Lampe Foundation in 2010.

Matrix

  • Collectivité
  • 1975-

Matrix is a literary magazine founded in 1975 by members of the English Department at Champlain Regional College – Lennoxville, QC. The magazine publishes literary and artistic submissions, with a focus on showcasing new Canadian talent – especially English writers in the Eastern Townships and Montreal. At its founding, it consisted of an editorial board (staffed by the Champlain English Department) headed by Editor-in-chief Philip Lanthier. In 1988, the team at Champlain College (consisting at that time of Lanthier and his colleagues: Michael Benazon, Marjorie Retzleff, Vivenne Allen, and Rina Kampeas) could not maintain their commitment to the magazine, so the publication was moved to the English Department of John Abbott College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC. It is presently published through the English Department at Concordia University in Montreal, QC.

While publishing out of Lennoxville, Matrix experienced a great deal of accomplishments: launching the literary careers of writers such as W.P. Kinsella and Joan Fern Shaw, and winning a National Magazine Award for featuring the work of Joyce Marshall, to name a few. During its early years, Matrix was funded entirely by CRC-Lennoxville; when most of the funding from the College was cut, the magazine turned to subscriptions and grant funding through the Canada Council for the Arts. Matrix experienced a financial crisis for the majority of 1982, facing near-extinction, but regained its stability in the following years. It is presently funded by the following bodies: Conseil des arts de la communauté urbaine de Montréal, Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, Canada Council for the Arts, the English Department and Faculty of Arts at Concordia, and the federal government through the Canada Periodical Fund (CPF). It was previously published semiannually and is now published three times per year.

Coalition de conservationistes pour l'environnement dans les Cantons Inc.

  • Collectivité
  • 1979-1991

The Coalition of Conservationists of the Eastern Townships (CCC) began in the late 1970s by Brian Olding, Richard (a.k.a. Crick) Glass, and Alex Bowie and was driven by concerns regarding the water quality of the Massawippi River, which was being contaminated by industries situated along the river, in particular Scott Paper Limited in Lennoxville. A water quality sampling program was undertaken to identify the pollutants present in the Massawippi River. As support and interest in the group’s work continued to grow, it was incorporated the 14 June 1979 as the Coalition pour la Conservation de l’Environnement dans les Cantons Inc. with the objectives of protecting and improving the natural environment for the good of the general public, which was to be achieved through the promotion of scientific research and projects, raising public awareness of environmental concerns, and supporting the creation of laws to protect the environment. The first directors were Richard Côté, Vincent Cuddihy, Stephen Monty, Sonya Nigam, Charles Simpkin, and Ann Tippet. In 1979, the CCC applied for government funding for a project to complete an analysis of the Massawippi River basin but the project was not funded.

Following a decade-long period of inactivity, the members of the CCC voted to dissolve the organization in 1991. The funds remaining following dissolution were donated to the Sentiers Massawippi Trail.

Club de l’âge d’or Sourire à la Vie, St-Marc

  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

Le club de l’âge d’or de Saint-Marc a été fondé en 1973 et reçoit ses lettres patentes en 1974 au nom de Club de l’âge d’or de St-Marc de Coaticook. Au début, l’adhésion au club est payante et le club offre des activités mensuelles comme des parties de cartes, des jeux, des ateliers créatifs ainsi que des voyages de groupe organisés. Mieux connu sous le nom de Sourire à la Vie, le club publie aussi un bulletin d’information saisonnier pour ses membres. Pendant longtemps, les rencontres du club ont lieu au sous-sol de l’église catholique Saint-Marc à Coaticook, jusqu’à la fermeture et la vente de l’église en 2010. Ensuite, les rencontres ont lieu dans la salle de réception de L’Épervier à Coaticook. En 2014, le club célèbre son 40e anniversaire et compte 90 membres.

Canadian Celanese. Coaticook

  • Collectivité
  • 1956-1985

L’usine de Coaticook, qui abritera la Canadian Celanese, connaît ses tout premiers débuts en 1872 lors de l’achat des droits relatifs à l’eau de Levi Baldwin par Thomas McDuffee. Frederick Cross en fait ensuite l’acquisition pour implanter une usine de râteaux. S’amorce ensuite une succession de changements de propriétaires et de vocations jusqu’à son acquisition par Trenholme et Armitage en 1889; l’usine devient alors le Coaticook Woolen Mills. Un incendie détruit l’usine en juin 1889, mais elle est reconstruite et les opérations se poursuivent jusqu’en 1919, lorsqu’elle est vendue à Walter Blue. S’ensuivent bon nombre de transactions jusqu’à 1944, où Coaticook Textiles Limited en fait l’acquisition. Sous la direction de cette compagnie, l’usine prend de l’expansion et en 1954 emploie 125 travailleurs.

La Canadian Celanese s’établit à Coaticook en 1956 à l’achat du bâtiment et de l’équipement de Coaticook Textiles. En 1963, la Canadian Celanese Company fusionne avec la Canadian Chemical Company et devient une branche de Chemcell Limited. En 1972, sa dénomination sociale devient Celanese Canada. En 1980, l’activité principale de la Celanese est la fabrication de doublure en acétate de cellulose (ou rayonne d’acétate) et de tissus texturés en polyester. À l’époque, 80 pour cent de la production est envoyée à Drummondville pour la teinture et l’apprêt.

En 1984 et en 1985, l’usine de Coaticook de la Canadian Celanese est achetée par Produits Cellulaires Waterville. La compagnie ferme ses portes par la suite, et les employés de Coaticook sont transférés à Waterville.

Maison des jeunes de Coaticook Inc.

  • Collectivité
  • 1983-

Fondée en 1983, la Maison des jeunes de Coaticook a pour mission d'encourager l'autonomie chez les adolescents (âgés de 12 à 17 ans), de fournir un lieu de rassemblement pour les jeunes, d'offrir des activités qui répondent à leurs intérêts, et de faire la prévention concernant des problèmes qui touchent les jeunes en particulier. L'organisme est sous la direction du conseil d'administration et dotée de plusieurs comités qui soutiennent ses activités. Au départ, la Maison de jeunes de Coaticook loue un local à l'école Polyvalente La Frontalière, puis parvient à trouver un local sur la rue Laurence. Aussi connu sous le nom La Mayz de Coaticook, l'organisme fête son 20e anniversaire en 2003. La Maison des jeunes de Coaticook est toujours active et répond à des objectifs similaires à ceux définis en 1983.

Beaulne Museum

  • Collectivité
  • 1964-

The Beaulne Museum was founded in 1964 by Denise Beaulne and was originally housed at the Town Hall in Coaticook and, later on, in the same building as the municipal library. Following purchase of Château Norton in 1976, the Beaulne Museum was moved to this historic house. The mandate of the Museum is to promote education by offering workshops and seminars particularly focused on the visual arts, to encourage the public’s appreciation of the arts and heritage through exhibitions. As part of its mandate, the Museum also collects and preserves artifacts to be used in exhibitions.
The Château Norton, which presently houses the Beaulne Museum, was built in 1912 by Arthur O. Norton, a local business owner. Harry and Mary Norton bequethed the house to the Anglican Church in 1942 and turned it into a girls’ home until 1968. Finally, in 1976, it was purchased by the City of Coaticook.

St. John Ambulance Brigade. Coaticook Division.

  • Collectivité
  • Founded 1944

The Coaticook division of Ambulancière St-Jean (St. John Ambulance) was founded in May 1944 by Dr. Albert Préfontaine, Anna Perras, Eva Bourque, Laura Laroche, Florence Carbonneau, and Edvina Brière. In the early years, this division’s membership was entirely female and consisted of monthly meetings at the armoury which included drills and annual first aid training. Included among their work in the community was volunteering in the hospital, accompanying doctors during home births, and providing first aid support during the 1949 fire. In 1971, the Coaticook division was reorganized to include male participation. In 1972, over 250 people registered for first aid and home care courses. In 1976, Coaticook placed second in a regional first aid competition against other St. John Ambulance brigades. St. John Ambulance volunteers continue to be in active in the Coaticook region through the Ambulance St-Jean Division 234 in Compton.

radio CFIN-FM

  • Collectivité
  • 1983-1987

La radio CFIN-FM 104.5 débute sa diffusion le 1er novembre 1983. Le démarrage de CFIN-FM, la première radio FM de musique country au Québec, a été rendu possible grâce aux efforts de Clément de Laat et de Michael Dougherty. Malgré une base élargie d'auditeurs qui s'étendait presque partout en Estrie et aux États-Unis, le CRTC dira que l'auditoire de CFIN-FM n'était pas conforme à la règlementation du CRTC et la radio cesse ses activités à l'été 1987.

Chambre de commerce des jeunes de Coaticook

  • Collectivité
  • 1943-1964

La Chambre de commerce des jeunes de Coaticook est fondée en 1943 pour fonctionner en partenariat avec la Chambre de commerce de Coaticook. Ces activités incluent l'amélioration de la vie communautaire et l'amélioration des habiletés et ce, avec un intérêt marqué pour la promotion du tourisme dans la région. La chambre termine ses activités en 1964 à la faveur d'un seul conseil d'administration.

Belding Corticelli Limited. Coaticook

  • Collectivité
  • 1898-2004

The Belding-Corticelli factory in Coaticook had its beginnings with John Thorton and Edwin F. Tomkins in 1883 when they purchased the weaving equipment from the Coaticook Cotton Company. This company, called Cascade Narrow Fabric, was purchased by Corticelli Silk Company in 1898, and factory was expanded with the construction of a second building adjoining the original structure. With the merger between Belding Paul & Company and the Corticelli Silk Co., it became the Belding Corticelli Ltd in 1915 or 1919. With the expansion of its facilities and equipment, Belding Corticelli employed 200 to 300 workers from early 1900s into the latter half of the century. The factory added a second building to its original property on Child Street in 1946 when it purchased the A.O. Norton building on Cutting Street. For many years, the factory primarily manufactured braid (also known as woven tapes), elastics, laces, and cotton cord. Belding Corticelli Ltd closed its doors in 2004, stating that it was no longer able to compete with the expanding availability of Chinese-manufactured products.

Cinéma Opéra

  • Collectivité
  • 1945-1981

Le Cinéma Opéra, mis sur pied par Philias Blouin, tient sa première projection à Coaticook en Janvier 1945 dans le bâtiment de la rue Main qui servait auparavant à l'Opera House. Afin de convertir le théâtre en salle de cinéma, un écran et un projecteur sont installés et les sièges de bois originaux sont remplacés par 1450 sièges rembourrés. La dernière représentation au Cinéma Opéra se fait en juin 1981. Après la vente du bâtiment à un concessionnaire de machinerie, il est démoli et le terrain devient un stationnement.

Club Radio Frontière Coaticook

  • Collectivité
  • 1977-[198-?]

Le Club Radio Frontière Coaticook a été fondé en février 1977 par Henri Fecteau, George Longmoore, Michel Fournier, Pierre Laberge, Raymond Isabelle et Jacques Philibert. Le but de ce club est de promouvoir et de développer les communication par radio BP (CB) à Coaticook et dans la région, afin d'encourager l'utilisation et l'intégration de la radio BP parmi la population et pour offrir des services aux membres afin d'augmenter leurs connaissances des télécommunications. Le logo du club a été dessiné par Louise Lacasse de Lennoxville et il a été choisi par concours. Le club a poursuivi ses objectifs à travers les une variété d'activités telle que des pauses-café qui réunissaient les usagers de radio BP d'autres villes, ainsi que des tournois de pêche, des fêtes d'Halloween et des journées du Père Noël. Le club a aussi mis en place des activités de financement.

Service Incendie. Région Coaticook

  • Collectivité
  • 1887-présent

La brigade d'incendie de la Ville de Coaticook débute ses activités avec l'incorporation de la municipalité en 1864 et fait son apparition par les règlements pour minimiser les risque de conflagration. Vers la fin des années 1880, Coaticook aura sa première brigade d'incendie, appelée la Deluge Fire Company. Une seconde brigade s'ajoute en 1898 appelée la Beaver Fire Company. Durant cette période, le département d'incendie de Coaticook acquerra de nouveaux équipements comme une pompe à vapeur en 1887, ce qui marque les débute officiel du département d'incendie de Coaticook. Pendant toutes ces années, Coaticook verra une certains nombre d'incendies majeurs qui seront éteints grâce au travail des pompiers : en 1890, un certain nombre de bâtiments sur les rues Main et Child succomberont aux flammes; en 1895, un feu détruira une bonne partie du centre-ville; un troisième incendie majeur en 1948 débute à l'Hôtel Child et détruira plusieurs bâtiments, incluant la première église St-Jean-l'Évangéliste. En 1976, les services d'incendie de Coaticook, Dixville, Ste-Edwidge et St-Herménégilde fusionne lors d'une réorganisation des services. Aujourd'hui, sa principale mission est d'assurer la protection des gens et des propriétés d'approximativement 12 000 citoyens situés dans les municipalités membres de l'organisation, qui sont un peu partout sur le territoire d'environ 564 km carrés.

Club de patinage artistique de Coaticook

  • Collectivité

Le club de patinage artistique de Coaticook (CPA de Coaticook) débute ses activités en 1969 avec comme nom Les pointes argentées de Coaticook. Le premier conseil d'administration se compose d'Andrée Joubert, Rita Veillette, Thérèse Couture, Marguerite Gosselin et Carmen Michaud. Le financement du club et l'accès à la patinoire sont particulièrement problématique durant les premières années. Plus tard, le club est en mesure d'attirer des dons de la Ville de Coaticook et des organisations caritatives de la région. À la deuxième année de leurs activités, le nombre d'inscription au club augmente à 135 membres et on organise le premier spectacle. Durant toutes ses années d'existence, certaines patineuses du CPA de Coaticook se sont qualifiées pour participer à des compétitions provinciales et nationales, comme Maryse Tremblay, Martine Ruel, Renel Péloquin, Nathalie Coupal, Vicky Coupal, Louise Michaud, Maggy Caron, and Odrée Grenier. Le CPA de Coaticook rencontre quelques défis dans les années 2000 à cause d'un déclin de l'intérêt pour le patinage artistique dans la région. Pendant ce temps, le nombre d'inscription au club diminue à 50 à 60 patineuses. Grâce aux efforts d'administrateurs et de bénévoles dévoués, le CPA de Coaticook connait une résurgence de l'intérêt pour le sport et de ses activités après 2011, l'année où le club change officiellement de nom.

Sherbrooke County Women's Christian Temperance Union (Sherbrooke, Que.)

  • Collectivité

The Women's Christian Temperance Union of the County of Sherbrooke was organized on 24 January 1899 for the purpose of strengthening and coordinating the activities of the existing WCTUs in the county. Officers and department superintendents were elected at the annual county WCTU convention. Some of the various departments consisted of Scientific Temperance Instruction and Health and Heredity, Anti-Narcotics, Lumber Camps and Sailors, Juvenile Sunday School, Literature, Prison and Reformatory, Missionary Work, Press, Flower Mission, Fair Work, and "Y" Work. The Spring Road, Sherbrooke, Milby, Huntingville, and Lennoxville WCTUs were among the member branches of the Sherbrooke County WCTU.

5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Association (Sherbrooke, Que.)

  • C007
  • Collectivité
  • 1934-1967

The 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, created in 1915, was part of the 8th Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. In September 1934, members of the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion who had served during World War I organized the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Association to perpetuate the memory and the tradition of their battalion. The Association was run by a four-member board elected annually. Its main activity was the annual reunion of its members, who had belonged to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion or the Company of the Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles. In 1967, the last meeting was held and the Association disbanded.

Corporation de la gestion du Chemin des Cantons

  • C005
  • Collectivité
  • 2007-

Le Chemin des Cantons, also referred to as the Townships Trail was first launched in June 2007. The trail traverses over 30 towns, eight regional county municipalities and over 400 km of the Eastern Townships. The trail begins in Brome-Missisquoi and ends in Val-Saint-Francois. Following secondary routes, the Townships Trail explores the British, American, Scottish and Irish influence and legacy in the Eastern Townships through the 18th and 19th centuries. The trail is one among eight tourist routes recognized by Quebec’s Ministry of Transportation. It’s mandate is founded on showcasing the built and natural history and heritage of the Eastern Townships through the use of marked route signs. In addition to the trail signage, the Townships Trail also provides tourists with maps and audio guides that recount and narrate the memories, stories, and history through artists and locals from the region. First conceived in 2004, the cultural trail has materialized through a partnership between the municipalities, the Local Centres of Development for Haut-Saint Francois, the Regional Conference of Elected Officials of Estrie and Monteregie Est, the Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network, along with Tourism Eastern Townships.

The Corporation de la gestion du Chemin des Cantons is run by a Board of Directors of 15 members who are elected by the General Assembly for a period of two years. The members of the Board of Directors represent the eight regional county municipalities, Tourism Eastern Townships, the Conseil de la Culture de l’Estrie, the Anglophone Heritage Network, the friends of the Townships Trail and the Attrait-Etape. The Board of Directors also includes two co-opted members who are appointed by the Board. The Corporation de la gestion du Chemin des Cantons also has a coordinator Helene Deslauriers who has held this title since 2007. There are also a number of committees in charge of programming, routes, evaluation, marketing and relaunch.

Notable founding committee members of the route are : Julie Sage, secteur tourisme de Coaticook, Marc Cantin, secteur tourisme et culture Asbestos, Dominic Ferland, secteur culture memphremagog, Julie Pomerleau, secteur culture Haut-Saint Francois, Alain Deschatelets, Tourisme Sherbrooke, Josiane Ares, secteur culture Val- Saint Francois, Sylvie Vandal, Tourisme Granby Bromont, Denis Brisebois, DBSF, Sylvie Lamarche DBSF, Marie-France Bourdages, Tourisme Cantons-de-l’Est, Jocelyne Jacques, ministere de la culture et des communications, Line Brault, CLD Brome- Missisquoi, Melanie Duranleau CLC Haut St Francois, Dominic Ferland MRC Memphremagog, Jacynthe Ferland, CLD Val St-Francois, Jocelyne Jacques, MCC, Shirley Lavertue, MRC Coaticook, Diane St- Jacques, CLD Haut-St Francois, and Helene Deslauriers, Route Culturelle- Tourisme Cantons-de-l’Est.

Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited

  • C004
  • Collectivité
  • 1918-1993

The Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited was first established on 7 March 1918 under the Canadian Cooperatives Act. The national body was established under the recommendation of the Dominion and provincial governments.The mandate of the Co-operative is to market and regulate the price and quality of wool in Canada. Wool produced throughout the country is consigned to the Co-operative and settled according to a grade that is assigned to the product. In 1920, the Co-operative established its Quebec branch in Lennoxville. This branch operated out of a warehouse on Conley street which was constructed and supervised by Leandre Vadnais Parent until his retirement in 1961. This location served as the provincial warehouse and grading station for the Quebec region. In addition to the grading and marketing of wool, the co-operative sold sheep supplies and woollen products such as yarn and blankets. In 1929, the Lennoxville branch opened an office on 159 Queen Street, as the Conley Street warehouse continued to be used for receiving and grading of wool. In 1945, the co-operative established The Wool Shop, which was a popular wool specialty retail outlet. In 1993 the Lennoxville branch of the Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers was shut down as a result of the organization’s restructuring efforts.

Abbotsford United Church (Abbotsford, Que.)

  • Collectivité

À l’origine église congrégationaliste, Abbotsford United Church est établie 1839 par le Révérend Charles Miles, ministre congrégationaliste de langue anglaise. Après le décès du pasteur Miles en 1855, aucun pasteur congrégationaliste n’est disponible et le temple est transformé en école. À l’époque, plusieurs familles méthodistes s’établissent. Une demande est soumise au pasteur méthodiste de Granby de rouvrir l’église comme lieu de culte. En 1925, l’Église Unie du Canada est formée par l'union de congrégations des Églises presbytériennes, méthodistes et congrégationalistes. Abbotsford Methodist Church se joint à l’Union et devient Abbotsford United Church. Depuis 1976, l’Église unie d’Abbotsford fait partie de la charge pastorale de Granby. L’Église unie d’Abbotsford relève du Consistoire Québec-Sherbrooke du Synode Montréal et Ottawa de l’Église Unie du Canada. La Congrégation et le Official Board (conseil de paroisse dirigent ses activités en collaboration avec ses groupes internes, tels la Women’s Missionnary Society (société missionnaire féminine) et la United Church Women (Comité des femmes de l’Église Unie).

Résultats 1 à 30 sur 44